Enough Is Enough

Started by DeltaV, November 04, 2013, 09:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadseifer

I'm guessing the number of raiders has most to do with turrets.  I'm on day 60, 10 settlers and two turrets.  I never get a raid with more than 9.  I also don't get any trade ships either.  :\
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

MidnightToker

This is happening consistently to me as well on regular Cassandra. The first raid is the standard 1 guy with a pistol, then the second raid is 3 snipers with M24's plus one or two guys with other weapons. The snipers slaughter me again and again since I have at max 2 pistols unless I get very lucky with traders, and they outrange everything I can set up by such a wide margin.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: nomadseifer on November 05, 2013, 11:47:16 AM
I'm guessing the number of raiders has most to do with turrets.  I'm on day 60, 10 settlers and two turrets.  I never get a raid with more than 9.  I also don't get any trade ships either.  :\

Is anybody else having this?

I'm on day 98, and I'm getting non-stop raiders. I barely have time to get the last batch buried before the next ones show up. I finally beat a prisoner to death (the guy who killed the second to last of my founding three, I had him set to vicious beatings and was planning to sell him to a trade ship) because no traders showed up!

Honestly, at this point, it really is just becoming a tower defense game with finite resources on the map. I'm not getting any chance to build, not getting any chance to trade.

I think Cassandra might be broken.
Raiders must die!

Grimreaper1704

Please Guys i can understand your anger. I think i have started over 15 games i came not over day 10^^ But please remember its a PRE-ALPHA! i mean i not a alpha or a beta this is a very EARLY game and everything can be changed. So please dont get mad give that man a change to handle it. I play the same game than you and i fail enough but every time i faild i learn more.

And i believe that game will be balanced right and than we all can have more fun :)

Amaror

Hehe, i was just about to start a thread about those damn M-24's. On first though these problems are weird, because the youtube builds seem so balanced, but i think tynan just wanted to put in a bunch of new features (Which he did) and they just aren't balanced yet. The Sniper Squad is the best example, because currently there is just no way to fight an enemy that outranges you.
And even with the skewed balance, the game is still really fun.

Quote from: Grimreaper1704 on November 05, 2013, 04:07:27 PM
Please Guys i can understand your anger. I think i have started over 15 games i came not over day 10^^ But please remember its a PRE-ALPHA! i mean i not a alpha or a beta this is a very EARLY game and everything can be changed. So please dont get mad give that man a change to handle it. I play the same game than you and i fail enough but every time i faild i learn more.
And i believe that game will be balanced right and than we all can have more fun :)

I don't thing anyone here is hating on the game or getting seriously mad at Tynan or anything. This is just criticism of the balance. Some may write their posts in an angry way, but that's just how things go, when you just got killed of for the 5th time by a damn sniper squad before writing you post.
We all know it's a pre - alpha and we all know it's going to be fixed.

w00d

the thing is it does not have to be even m-24s, latest game, 8 raiders vs 4 settlers and 4 turrets. My best weapon were pistols and they had UZIs but mainly pistols. Despite funnelling them down a kill corridor, all 8 raiders burst volley the turrets down. The reason ? they all had 11-15 shooting skill while my turrets missed most of their shots. So they rushed us down, taking all turrets and all the settlers down with 1 surviving raider . This was day 6.

anyone got any help ?

Kent Lang

Hahaha, I actually had a few fun moments when they showed up with the sniper rifles. The best way of dealing with them is to simply build walls and an "open room" ie. a room without any doors to block movements. The raiders will then walk into said room and into range of your own colonists. See attachment (where Mayo and Middleton is standing). I had to abandon this colony because it's too easy to defend with minimal effort. It simply stopped being fun.

Cassandra is quite difficult to run with but Tough Kassandra is even more brutal. The problem I'm having there is that the colonists' need for food is incredibly difficult to satisfy. At least in the beginning where you have so few colonists to harvest crops.

And I would like to chant the motto of Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

I'm going to rebalance the game and make sure these advanced enemies don't show up too early. Internal testing didn't show this imbalance, otherwise I would have corrected it. Pre-alpha, guys - working on it!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on November 05, 2013, 07:21:34 PM
I'm going to rebalance the game and make sure these advanced enemies don't show up too early. Internal testing didn't show this imbalance, otherwise I would have corrected it. Pre-alpha, guys - working on it!

i take full blame for this folks... send all hate mail my way... ;)

DeltaV

I've actually found that, if you can survive tough kassandra's normal big groups with non-M24 weapons, she doesn't seem to throw M24s at you very often. In addition to that, she doesn't seem to have the no traders glitch either.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Lothar

I rush the sniper squads personally, seeing as if you get them in close range they are useless.

Lochar

I only have really played once so far and still going and have a hundred dead raiders but havent seen an all sniper squad yet.

But I have noticed a few things, the raiders wont stop to shoot unless you have something in range of them. Turrets dont draw fire when powered down, so I usally keep mine always off and let the raiders get in close before I turn them on and the move my colonists in as well. Sure I lose turrets and colonists but so far been surviving.

I also made tunnels to be able to try to flank the enemy or when they land I move a few guys into a position where I can attack them from behind.

Yes I still lose folks now and then but so far after 60+ days I have everyone equipped with r4's m24's and some shotties, 12k cash, 2k food, 1.5k metal and now just doing scut work to keep colonists busy.

I guess  with random tho I just havent had a overpowering raider squad at the beginning, but have had 3 times where they came when had those energy outages so no turrets to use at all, but then I dont fully rely on them as much as my colonists.

Pendryn

Honestly, I think the real issue is people aren't taking advantage of melee. Guys, if your are punching the guys with the M-16/24's they aren't shooting you. 10 dmg a hit is a lot better than 50-55.
Reticulating all the splines.

nnescio

Quote from: Pendryn on November 06, 2013, 02:13:29 AM
Honestly, I think the real issue is people aren't taking advantage of melee. Guys, if your are punching the guys with the M-16/24's they aren't shooting you. 10 dmg a hit is a lot better than 50-55.

And you can dogpile them!

There's a reason why my newer colonists tend to have a high attrition rate.  ::)

Unless they happen to have the "Runner" trait, in which case they are treated as VIPs and elite troops whom I zealously guard from harm. Even if their skills suck.

Technical Ben

You guys should never play DF. Defending a fort with a single Dwarf branding his own legs as weapons, now that's a difficult one to bounce back from!