Enough Is Enough

Started by DeltaV, November 04, 2013, 09:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

So far since I've gotten the game, every second Cassandra Classic raid has had five raiders, three of whom have M-24s. I assume this is the new sniper squad or whatever that was added, but seriously, it's a bit much for a situation in which you can only have two pistols at max unless you buy from a combat trader. It takes two hits to kill one of my colonists and three to destroy a turret, and they can do it from out of the turret range.

This hasn't been a one-time thing either, it's literally every time. First raid is normal, I get a longer-than-usual pause, and then Sniper Squad shows up, kills my colonists and torches the place. I could handle even five normal raiders, but when three of them are nigh-untouchable because they can decimate my people from outside of their firing range, it gets kind of ridiculous.

Anyways, I figured I'd post here to make sure it wasn't just this happening to me and to get some tips on how to deal with them, short of just 'Hope a combat trader shows up and you can afford a good weapon' (Because I'm not even sure that would work).
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

SteveAdamo

thats sound very unusual for cassandra... the raider waves always ramped up gently during my tests... always starting at 1, then progressing to 2-3 for a few waves... then on to 5, and so forth...

you're absolutely sure you arent playing tough kassandra? ;)

Syagria

Quote from: SteveAdamo on November 04, 2013, 09:19:30 PM
thats sound very unusual for cassandra... the raider waves always ramped up gently during my tests... always starting at 1, then progressing to 2-3 for a few waves... then on to 5, and so forth...

you're absolutely sure you arent playing tough kassandra? ;)
This. I really never had a problem with Raiders until later in the game. Or when I'm playing on random.

DeltaV

Yeah, I'm sure.

On reloading an autosave of a Sniper Squad attack, I ended up with a more manageable second raid. Still, though, I think just the idea that the sniper raider group can spawn on a second wave, of all things, needs to be looked at one more time.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

w00d

gonna go with OP here, started a few games, learning, first serious game ended with 6 man raider squad versus my 4. All 6 we had m-24s , this was the 8th day

2nd game, same thing, 8 day mark, 5 man sniper squad wipes my colony out

3rd game, errr this is deja-vu

also, the eclipse event is a killer, it basically means you MUST have a thermal generator near your starting site or you should reload the map

SteveAdamo

Quote from: DeltaV on November 04, 2013, 09:25:19 PM
On reloading an autosave of a Sniper Squad attack

if you have that save game, feel free to attach it... might just shed some light! :)

DeltaV

Quote from: SteveAdamo on November 04, 2013, 09:28:35 PM
Quote from: DeltaV on November 04, 2013, 09:25:19 PM
On reloading an autosave of a Sniper Squad attack

if you have that save game, feel free to attach it... might just shed some light! :)

Sadly, autosave has saved over it. I have the save game that I reloaded, which seems to be acting normally now; I got four raiders with one Lee-Enfield, a pistol and two uzis, and then five with some uzis and pistols.

Also I can't find where save files are stored on Mac

TripleZero

I played an older version before and raiders were really weak in the beginning (as they should be) but now with the 2.50 version released for the backers theyre much stronger, my first wave had laser rifles and m24s.

Anyways, you can still beat them, get a thermal generator and harvest alot of metal soon so you can get some turrets and a walled in killing ground, so the m24 guys have to go into turret range to get annihilated.

Example =) (i cant find spoilers so its gonna stay that big, cba to reupload)

And yes, im aware that my first 2 turret rows are suspectible to a horrible chain reaction, but the raiders never get past the front turrets so i didnt change it afterwards. Also, this game really needs an incinerator for bodies ^^

Tynan

I'm going to rebalance the raiders a tad. The sniper squad is a bit OP at the moment.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

air805ronin

I just played my first game and the first raid was 1 raider, then I had a long break with some lightning storms and boom rats, and the game just ended with the uber squad killing everyone.  As mentioned I had two pistols for the defense, and my only chance was to bum rush people in melee once they went down.

Super excited to play the game for the first time, and even enjoyed losing everyone.  I learned a long time ago that, "losing is fun!"

zalak

I just lost my colony to the second raid that had snipers, I had around 15 turrets and mines and 3 or so pistols. You cant do much against the snipers with pistols :(

Peng Qi

Quote from: Tynan on November 04, 2013, 10:00:29 PM
I'm going to rebalance the raiders a tad. The sniper squad is a bit OP at the moment.
I think all you really need to do is implement a "full cover" system, where characters who are not in range of any enemies at all "duck behind" sandbags and the like and become un-hittable until the cover is destroyed. This would also make frags and molotovs more useful and enable characters to "cover hop" until shorter range weapons are in range.

TripleZero

Quote from: zalak on November 04, 2013, 11:12:23 PM
I just lost my colony to the second raid that had snipers, I had around 15 turrets and mines and 3 or so pistols. You cant do much against the snipers with pistols :(.

Build proper defences (walls are cheap) to make the snipers come into turret/pistol range.

ShadowDragon8685

I've discovered a rather horrifyingly effective tactic. The enemy are rather stupid. By which I mean they love to seek cover.

They just don't seem bright enough to get the picture that a series of sandbag bunkers set up to be perfect for shooting INTO my base might JUST be a trap... Not even when they've seen two of said bunkers go up in a flash of light and heat in the course of one battle.

What would be nice would be a kind of range estimator, the way selecting a gun turret or mining 'splosive does. So you could select a gun you know, and see its range at the cursor or a place you designate.
Raiders must die!

w00d

had 4 settlers, with 2 pistols between them, The AI decided it will rush me with 8 guys , armed with uzis and lee enfield. I dont know what magical trick you guys have but this is on the 5th day