Linux Distributions and Arcane Details of Buying Rimworld

Started by WorldTraveler, September 18, 2021, 02:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WorldTraveler

A mysterious new individual contacts you over your comms console and asks two questions:

1. What Linux distributions will run Rimworld? I've read most of the requirements are Unity-engine-based and that requires a particular window manager (GNOME, IIRC) and I do like to keep to some kind of major distribution. Currently using Puppy Linux so yes I claim to know how to use Linux.

2. When buying Rimworld directly from rimworldgame.com, where will one's credit card statement say the transaction took place? (For example, if someone bought an airline ticket from Montego Air in New York City, it would say on the next credit card statement "MONTEGO AIR NEW YORK NY $...") Need to ask because I may need to call the bank to 'pre-authorize' a transaction if the location listed when buying Rimworld is outside the USA.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone might be able to provide.

Alenerel

You might want to ask these questions directly to Tynan or post them in the support forum.

chch88

I can tell that rimworld running on linux just fine, was playing on ubuntu 18, now currently on Manjaro, havent seen any problems, drm-free version

WorldTraveler

Thanks, I facepalmed shortly after posting because I know how to use Distrowatch and as those who know Linux know, if a Linux distribution I like doesn't work for a given purpose I could just rinse and repeat until I find one I like.

And I did ask my payment question in the support forum, I guess it'd help to read the forum descriptions before posting. ::)

Alenerel

Its not because its misplaced but because admins check the support forum more often than the others. But for the payment thing, if you dont get an answer you might want to contact Tynan directly.

steve_v

Quote from: WorldTraveler on September 18, 2021, 02:47:33 PM
1. What Linux distributions will run Rimworld? I've read most of the requirements are Unity-engine-based and that requires a particular window manager (GNOME, IIRC) and I do like to keep to some kind of major distribution. Currently using Puppy Linux so yes I claim to know how to use Linux.
Pretty much any, so long as it isn't too exotic. You'd probably have drama if you tried to run it on something that doesn't use glibc, for example, but that's well outside the realms of "mainstream" distros.
Window manager (or DE) shouldn't really make any difference at all. I've run unity games fine with Kwin, XFCE, TWM, and even bare X11 with no window manager at all. The only time it might make a difference is if your WM uses OpenGL compositing and it impacts performance, but AFAIK that problem is pretty much a thing of the past.

I can personally attest that Unity games run fine on Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu & Debian. I expect any other relatively well-established distro would be the same. Push comes to shove, library version problems (e.g. really old distro releases) can usually be worked around using steam-runtime (no, you don't actually need steam to steal bits of it :P) anyway.
You may run into issues with certain older unity versions if your distro doesn't include pulseaudio, but that's a unity bug, and one that Rimworld doesn't (currently) suffer from.
FWIW, I'm currently running Rimworld (GOG release) on Gentoo/X11/Kwin/ALSA. Apart from the known mouse-jank, it runs pretty much like any other unity game.