Another rant about forming caravans...

Started by dethtongue, September 24, 2021, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dethtongue

So yeah....I love this game. So much that I'm legitimately embarrassed to acknowledge how many hours I have put into it, but for the love of God can we include a button in the base game called "Just send the F**king caravan already!"

I know you can go into developer mode and send it that way, but it just seems a bit like cheating. (And when your doing things like raiding untouched ruins you pretty much have to cheat anyway since most of your party will be in full blown melt down mode for missing a snack so in those scenarios you pretty much have to cheat to get everyone off the map.)

But my God. I swear if your party has to do anything more complex than load ten items then it will start a cascade of pawns going literally homicidal because someone somewhere forgot that the steel knife your trying to load is in someone's pocket. That's assuming once everything's finally packed your pack animals then don't start dropping out from exhaustion.

Seriously. I DREAD trying to form caravans. Can we just get a button to send a caravan despite what knick-nack its missing that's keeping everyone wandering around the settlement for a week looking for it. By the time a caravan is finally ready to go I normally have to swap out all the original participants with all new ones ( and sometime more than once) and the original participants are all somewhere between full catatonia, on a killing spree, or deciding to destroy that stack of 50 advanced components in protest.

Please. For my mental health if not the pawns. Can we get a send caravan button?

dethtongue

As a post script I noticed the last update had something in it about forming caravans being easier, but I'm not really seeing it. I'm literally taking a break to blow off steam and write this as my pawns are wandering the camp trying to find something, and while that was going on half of them fell asleep. Even if I use combat activation to wake them and try to clear their cache they pretty much just go back to sleep. So far no one has gone completely off the deep end and tried to kill anyone for failing to find that one extra rice grain that's missing from the pack so maybe that's where the improvement lies.

As a test this latest go around I had my pawns loading ONE alpaca with some medicine, about a hundred potatoes and about 500 gold. It took them over a day and half that time was spent with them just wandering in a daze. Maybe in addition to a "Just sent the G******ed caravan already!" button you could add an extra jobs tab called load so if a caravans being loaded in the colony all colonists will help load the caravan even if their not part of the caravan unless the jobs box is explicitly left off.

Seriously a caravan should not take four f***ing days to load and get moving.

Lemme get back and see what their doing. Hopefully someone hasn't gone on a fire starting spree next to the shed where all the high explosive shells are Kept.

VastinArdaen

I have to say, the recent caravan loading patch made an enormous difference from my point of view.

Caravan loading in my colony rarely takes more than 1-2 in-game hours at this point, even with scores of items being loaded?

dethtongue

Are you running any mods because maybe that has something to do with it. I run a ton of them and I'm not seeing any difference in caravan loading times. In point of fact I'm here right now blowing off steam while my 6 pawns tasked with loading ONE muffalo with 300 pears are wandering around in a daze. I specifically had them load 300 of the same item (of 550 in stock) to try and keep them from doing exactly what their doing right now.

RedPine

Quote from: dethtongue on November 21, 2021, 09:10:46 PM
Are you running any mods because maybe that has something to do with it. I run a ton of them and I'm not seeing any difference in caravan loading times. In point of fact I'm here right now blowing off steam while my 6 pawns tasked with loading ONE muffalo with 300 pears are wandering around in a daze. I specifically had them load 300 of the same item (of 550 in stock) to try and keep them from doing exactly what their doing right now.

That sounds like a bug.  Were any of the pears eaten?  Do modded things like pears behave differently from unmodded things like pemmican?

dethtongue

Sorry to keep bringing this up. Could we please get a "send Caravan" button? I hate having to go into developer mode just to get a caravan off map. I've currently got a caravan that's been trying to form for three days now. Six colonists with six animals and I told them to load nothing so by default they should just be loading the bare minimum to cover basic food needs and some medicine. They've been wandering around for three days. I've already swapped every colonist out at least once because half of them have gone mental. Its infuriating. I'm not even going to get into what a Cluster F**k trying to form a caravan is when your using mods for things like pristine ruins. In those cases its pretty much impossible to form a caravan without developer mode.

Canute

QuoteI've currently got a caravan that's been trying to form for three days now.
Did you ever try to drive into vacation with your family, don't it take alot longer when you got more people/kids to get along ?
Didn't you learn some something from your expierence, that BIG caravan's allways take longer/forever to form ?

Instead to create one big caravan, create serveral smaller ones, use people which just woke up, force them to eat so they don't get sleepy/hungry until they leave.
Once all caravan on worldmap you can merge them together.
And btw. there are serveral mod's that might be helpful with caravan's.

dethtongue

Quote from: Canute on May 18, 2022, 03:26:03 AM
QuoteI've currently got a caravan that's been trying to form for three days now.
Did you ever try to drive into vacation with your family, don't it take alot longer when you got more people/kids to get along ?
Didn't you learn some something from your expierence, that BIG caravan's allways take longer/forever to form ?

Instead to create one big caravan, create serveral smaller ones, use people which just woke up, force them to eat so they don't get sleepy/hungry until they leave.
Once all caravan on worldmap you can merge them together.
And btw. there are serveral mod's that might be helpful with caravan's.

Yeah. When we go on vacation we always leave later than we plan. but were talking a few hours at most....not days, and once you start getting into a few hours late.....your going to leave regardless of weather your fully ready or not. That missing bar of soap is not that important.

I've tried some mods, but so far nothing that seems to make a difference. I know larger caravans trip over their own feet (Trust me I know) but it still took them four days to assemble basically 10 meds and a days supply of food. For whatever reason on the fourth day they finally decided to leave and I removed a pawn from the caravan because he was close to breaking. He immediately went berserk and attacked my caravan animals. Back to square one. I know its nit picky because all I need to do is go into developers mode to move it. It just feel like I'm cheating when I have to turn it on for something as basic as moving a group off map.