Colony Doomed.... Due to Poor FPS

Started by Billy Rueben, August 17, 2014, 03:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Rueben

I don't want to put this in the "Bugs" section because I have no idea what is going on. I've got the biggest and longest lasting colony I've ever had, but I can't really play anymore due to the game's sudden poor performance.

All that I know happened was a group of pirates showed up to besiege me, and suddenly my game gets >1FPS. Anyone know of a good way to work around this?

Lost Cause

Killing the pirates usually works. Try using the base builder story teller. Not Randy Random or Cansandra. She gives you a lot of space between waves so you can patch up, clean up and keep the active object count low. Otherwise you get to the point where raid waves contain uncountable units because they overlap each other and the waves themselves come so close together they often overlap the previous wave and then you have visitors and people passing through which can also overlap and all the bodies left behind which you haven't had time to clear yet along with hundreds of weapons and hundreds more ignored resources scattered all over the map and then there are the animals wandering about, and the plants growing too, trees sprouting and god knows what else...
This game has a lot of active content on the map at any one given time, and the longer a game lasts the bigger the problem gets X.x
You just need to take a slower story teller and be sure to clean up the messes.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Bog

Two things:

1. Play on a smallish map. The larger ones don't really add anything (in my opinion) and can cause a lot more lag late-game.

2. While in-game press the "~" button (to the left of the "1" button on standard PC keyboards) and see if there's a bug report. If it says something in yellow and that thing has a number on the left that's growing extremely fast then it could be a bug that's causing a lot of the lag.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

_alphaBeta_

I'd wipe out the pirate pawns with the debug tools (click them with destroy command) and see if the problem instantly improves. The pirate camp looks disorganized and awfully close to the mountain. Perhaps the path-finding is constantly trying to accomplish something grinding the game to a halt.

Billy Rueben

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 17, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
Try using the base builder story teller. Not Randy Random or Cansandra.
I would, but I find the base builder story teller really boring.

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 17, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
This game has a lot of active content on the map at any one given time, and the longer a game lasts the bigger the problem gets X.x
You just need to take a slower story teller and be sure to clean up the messes.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Quote from: Bog on August 17, 2014, 05:07:53 PM
1. Play on a smallish map. The larger ones don't really add anything (in my opinion) and can cause a lot more lag late-game.

I'm playing on the default map size, which I'm pretty sure is on the smaller end of the scale.

Quote from: Bog on August 17, 2014, 05:07:53 PM
2. While in-game press the "~" button (to the left of the "1" button on standard PC keyboards) and see if there's a bug report. If it says something in yellow and that thing has a number on the left that's growing extremely fast then it could be a bug that's causing a lot of the lag.

No bugs that I've seen.

Quote from: _alphaBeta_ on August 17, 2014, 05:13:00 PM
I'd wipe out the pirate pawns with the debug tools (click them with destroy command) and see if the problem instantly improves. The pirate camp looks disorganized and awfully close to the mountain. Perhaps the path-finding is constantly trying to accomplish something grinding the game to a halt.

Could you let me know how to get to those?

Tynan

I'm sorry about this, it looks like there is a performance problem related to over-packed siege bases. I'll have to look at it for Alpha 7.

I will move this to bugs, because I think it belongs there.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog