More priorities

Started by Cassey, November 04, 2013, 09:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

Suggest two things around priority:

1)  More categories.  For instance, it would be nice to be able to prioritize collecting metal over hauling rocks
2)  Combined with 1, more levels, perhaps 1-9 to keep it single digit?

Cassey

BTW - Have I been doing it backwards?  Is Priority 4 higher than Priority 1?

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

PsychoticLime

I had a similar idea: normally haulers follow a default priority while collecting stuff (I think it is like food->metal->bodies->guns->debris; I'm pretty new at this game so I'm probably wrong), this means that it doesn't matter how much metal you have lying around, if there is only one piece of food out of place in the colony the haulers will go there.
To avoid the problem, you could assign each colonist a list of priorities regarding the jobs they're doing: for example setting a hauler on metal first will allow him to collect all the metal he can find before concentrating on other stuff (this would be pretty helpful while having lots of metal mined), objects with the same priority would be hauled starting by the nearest. This also applies to other kinds of jobs: wardens could concentrate on a single prisoner, builders and repairers could choose among the various categories (working on security objects first, for example) and so on.
What do you think?

Tynan

Actually, they don't prioritize by item type at all. Haulers will haul whatever is closest to them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vas

Sometimes I do wish there was more priority options.  :P  That shouldn't be a high up thing on the list of 'to do' though.  Might also be nice having lines help tell you which column/row each thing is in what.  In case you have a lot of colonists, you don't need to drag your mouse up and down along each line of boxes to be sure which one you are editing.  Or perhaps tiny text above each square to tell you what's what.  But 1 to 9 is a good option for priority levels in the future.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Tynan on February 26, 2014, 07:38:18 PM
Actually, they don't prioritize by item type at all. Haulers will haul whatever is closest to them. hasn't been prioritised by the hauler on the other side of the colony
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

colonistPally

Quote from: Tynan on February 26, 2014, 07:38:18 PM
Actually, they don't prioritize by item type at all. Haulers will haul whatever is closest to them.

I really really really really wish you could prioritize at least slightly. When you have a 25-body pileup at your entrance that's 25 hauls you have to organize. :P Kind of breaks the immersion a little. :(

keylocke

yea, having haul priorities for each colonist would make it easier to distribute hauling tasks. (ie : some food haulers can prioritize hauling food stuff so the cooks and growers don't have to, while metal haulers and rock haulers can prioritize hauling for the builders) which makes your production chain run smoother.

--------
on a side note : i think the current overview panel is kinda 'clunky' since it can only hold so few priorities due to screen constraints. other games of similar genre (ie: gnomoria) managed to solve this by using dropdown hierarchies. i think rimworld can improve from that.

Tynan

Yeah, I'll likely have to make expandable priorities with sub-priorities at some point. I'd really rather the system just work without needing them, but the game may just be fundamentally complex enough that this isn't feasible.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

keylocke

Quote from: Tynan on February 28, 2014, 10:00:42 AM
Yeah, I'll likely have to make expandable priorities with sub-priorities at some point. I'd really rather the system just work without needing them, but the game may just be fundamentally complex enough that this isn't feasible.

that would be awesome. :)