Animals being moved around in the same pen for no obvious reason

Started by TheVillageGuy, October 22, 2021, 10:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillageGuy

I have a big rectangular pen, with a three tile wide pen surrounding it. Roughly a 100 animals are inside it. Both pens have enough nutrition. I have noticed before that sometimes animals would be moved from pen to pen even though there was enough food, I assume there is a logical reason for this. But now that I have so 'many' animals and several handlers, animals are being gathered, moved for a bit, and then released again in the same pen. I am curious if this is normal behavior or if I should try to find a mod conflict. My first thought was common sense, but then again when animals are outside of the pens they are moved into a pen and this never fails, I would expect that to go wrong as well if it were caused by a mod.
Update: sometimes animals are moved successfully from one pen to the other.

MissFox

Sorry, just to clarify...

Does your map have other pens or just these two? Do the two pens both have markers and are the same animals selected in both pens?

I'm wondering if having 2 pens with the same animals in both causes conflict in the job and pathfinding logic.

You said you have 100 ish animals, are they mixed or all the same?

I'm wondering if breaking down the large pen into smaller ones of segregated animal types would help fix the issue for the immediate future.

TheVillageGuy

No problem, glad to clarify!

It has just those two pens, they both have markers with identical settings.

It's a mix of yaks, sheep and chickens, the chickens I forgot to count.

All types of animals are being moved around at the same time, it's not like they're walking around with only yaks, for instance.

r4gTime

Click on your pen marker and configure the type of animals you want in each pen. For each animal type let only one pen available so each animal has a specific pen and it should work fine.