Caravan exit weirdness

Started by Syrus, November 02, 2021, 03:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrus

Why do caravans do this when leaving the map?

There are three big open and safe exit areas to the south-east, but my caravan decides that the literally longest route is the one they shall take, despite the fact that it leads right past a mech cluster with almost two dozen angry mechs in it, despite the fact that it is outside their allowed zone and despite the fact that the caravan will travel to the south east when on the world map.

Why do they do this? How can this be prevented?
Why is there no option to pick which direction a caravan should leave in or why is it not dependend on map movement at least?

SpaceCows

If you disband and reform the caravan, do they choose the same path?

Syrus

Yes, they do. But setting up a caravan is not a simple task when you have lots of things to sell.
It would be a lot better if they respected some logic - zones as far as possible, closest exit, exit in the direction the caravan is moving if possible...

Stellan72

Yeah, this is a really bizarre and intensely annoying limitation of the caravanning mechanic. I haven't heard about any mods that address this particular issue either :(

AileTheAlien

Last time I checked, they exit the map on the side they are travelling to. So if you want them to exit east, send them to the world map one tile east of your base, then make your real caravan. A bit janky, but I think it'll work.

RedPine

Quote from: AileTheAlien on November 19, 2021, 09:17:15 AM
Last time I checked, they exit the map on the side they are travelling to. So if you want them to exit east, send them to the world map one tile east of your base, then make your real caravan. A bit janky, but I think it'll work.

Last time I saw anyone check, it was semirandom, and only sometimes works like you say by coincidence.  I haven't checked the patch notes, though, so maybe it changed at some point.

RicRider

I recommend the Caravan Spot mod for this issue. I know some people hate mods but this one is a must-have unless you don't care about caravans at all.
##Coding Scrub##