Stone-Age Era Alternatives

Started by S1N1337, August 18, 2014, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S1N1337

Currently almost everything runs exclusively off electricity, it's like we've jumped straight past the stone age and forgot all about using and abusing fire. Where are the fireplaces to cook food (or provide warmth if you decide to add temperature control in)? Where are the lanterns to use when the light goes out? Hell, when your turrets get EMP'd or solar flared where are your wooden booby traps to provide SOME defense against enemies? Or when the power goes out, and you can't radio for help, why not use a smoke signal you've developed with your allies?

All in all, solar flares are too punishing, and it's in my humble opinion that it will continue to be so until there are alternatives to electronics.

TwixFunSize

I really like the idea of lanterns, Booby Traps, and fire places. I feel this is perfect! Also the smoke signal is really cool sounding.

bobucles

Losing your cooking stove from a solar flare and then eating an eclipse? It SUCKS. Quickest way to starve out. If I had to agree with one thing it is to have a simple camp fire to turn meals+wood into food.

I absolutely can not play against the larger enemy raids without manually manned emplacements. Losing your automatic turret network all at once is just too lethal.

MajorFordson

+1 to this.

There should be a low and high tech version of everything where it makes sense to happen.

If there were more low tech structures and items, then the players progress to a civilised life would take longer and feel like more of an ascention.

ApexPredator

I do not know Tynan's tech direction with Rimworld. However, it could be quite possible/probable that a civilization that has advanced to have jump drives and hypersleep would not use or know how to make fire or do most primitive survival things. Look at our civilization now, were generations away from deep space travel and most people already can't make a campfire without a lighter (even a lot couldn't with one).

Edit:
I do like the idea of some cooking methods that do not require electricity. However, I would rather see some form of priority in place where colonists ate the foods that are closest to spoiling rather than what food is better then closer. With a first made/first eaten set up I would be more comfortable increasing my meal stockpile which would reduce the meals running out in power outages and day long raids.

MajorFordson

I think the excuse that "the colonists have pocket computers full of information on how to survive" is a reasonable enough answer to that.

As is the idea that they have some general purpose, high tech survival tools with them, which is why they are able to create things like solar panels out of metal.

ApexPredator

Quote from: MajorFordson on August 21, 2014, 01:33:43 AM
I think the excuse that "the colonists have pocket computers full of information on how to survive" is a reasonable enough answer to that.

As is the idea that they have some general purpose, high tech survival tools with them, which is why they are able to create things like solar panels out of metal.

Having a how to and actually doing it are two different things. I would wager if you gave 100 people step by step instruction on how to start a fire with a plough/hand drill/bow drill that 98-100 would fail/give up before they produced a fire.

As I stated in my first post I don't know the level of tech or how in-depth Tynan is trying to put in this game and what the end result will look like. I am just tossing out some ideas why there might not be primitive methods. In the current state of just metal making solar panels/batteries/magic then fire would really only need some wood. I also don't know how to code and fire could be a lot of work *shrugs.

MajorFordson

Oh don't get me wrong, I want to see low tech stuff as the first steps for the player in the game too. I'm just chewing the fat about the sci-fi setting :)