Wanderlust: A pixel texture pack (in progress)

Started by korvas, November 06, 2021, 12:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

korvas

Hello all,

I've been working on this texture pack for awhile now and wanted to share what I've done so far. Rimworld is a game I have played quite a lot, and when I haven't been playing the game, I have very slowly been creating an art re-imagining of the game in a pixel style. Please take a look. Any feedback is welcome. I've also made a list of goals and public requests. As an artist, I'm doing this for fun. If you would like to help me in relation to this mod for fun, contact me!

Fun Fact: Currently at 1,347 Files, 268 Folders! It's 99% image files!

Current general overview of modified textures. (it's big!)
https://imgur.com/qRM0jpf

Screenshots:

If you would like to try my texture pack as-is:
Dowload the file below.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods
Paste the zip file
unpack it

Run Rimworld as normal. This mod may need to be loaded in front of other mods.

------DOWNLOAD-------------------------------------- 

Goals, requests, misc thoughts

GOALS:

WOULD LIKE TO GET HELP WITH:

WOULD LIKE IF I COULD:
Change the RGB value for things with overlayed colors
Change UI look and text
Make the default interpolation Nearest-neighbor (so I don't have to upsize textures to keep them sharp)

PIE IN THE SKY SORT OF REQUESTS:

Instead of overlay colors per object, have separate images for each varient (will look more cohesive as a palatte but is a tedious undertaking for sure)

PIE IN THE SKY THINGS I COULD ATTEMPT, MAYBE, WHO KNOWS:

Shinzy

This is really charming! I think I'm in love with that horse/alpaca thing in the storage zone there

If you haven't already, grab the RimWorld art source has all? the vanilla assets shown in their correct texture paths

Visible pants are possible with patching, Apparello does this aswell as a mod called "visible pants"

and you can also easily mod other mods within yours with the use of load folders ;D
clicky here for the official instructions, it's mostly about multi version modding but it's all good info for any modder

and for the artifacting, you can atleast reduce it (if not remove entirely) by adding 1% opacity black background or outline to your textures (I remember someone very, very long ago did some codery way of implementing their textures into the game as a really hecking crisp smooth way but since I can't recall who or when it's not really helpful :p )

also if you want to change the terrain transition, there's a line in the terrain xmls for <edgeType> for the fading or sharp cut
and <renderPrecedence> which determines if the terrain is above or below others

I think that's all the info I can milk from my brain at this moment

korvas

Oh yes that is a dead alpaca XD Some animals and image size limitations lend themselves to fun interpretations. I'd love to eventually do a polish pass were I can push things like appeal but I want to aim first to cover as much as possible. And there is... a shit ton... I've done art for 45 animals, their color masks, and probably 25ish additional variants for sex or color. and I still haven't covered it all.

These are some of the ones I really like so far.

And yes I have found the Rimworld Art source. After 99% of what I created thus far was from combing through vague paths in ThingsDefs files and reverse engineering other people's texture mods. Not sure when that was added but...................... it is a godsend but also I am screaming internally for every day I didn't know of its existence

Your modding links are incredibly helpful. I will personally let you know when it comes in handy, much appreciated. I am a simple artist, my 'mod' has simply been replacing images. Not doing anything too crazy with code but I gotta start somewhere!

Also I think I should try to clickbait this texture mod because hey, I did decide early on through gameplay testing that adding legs in this style didn't feel weird. (to me at least) Rimworld with legs!!! I have decided to include them by default instead of chopping everyone to the nubbins.
But I would really like to have pants because since I have started covering clothing it's very awkward to see my guys naked from the waist down.

The 1% black I think I will try for some of the foliage. It would be way too much labor to try for most images, but I would be curious to see how it works for something like grass alone.

And speaking of very annoying and labor intensive graphical solutions... for this style I have an issue I doubt the overwhelming majority of texture modders have. Where in the pixel style, my textures can be very small. But if I make a texture smaller resolution than the original, it will appear blurry. I believe this is due to interpolation maybe. So my workaround for hundreds of these images is that I have made an action that upscales by 400% or downscales 25%. I have to do this everytime I made or edit a single image. The emojis I am looking at are both from 2004 and cannot cover the emotional feeling I have about this necessary step

Shinzy

the iguana is hecking cute!

you can use the patch I used for apparello for my pants (see the attachment)
just plop the Patches folder in the root of your mod where the Textures and About folders are aswell

and then you'll need to change the texture paths for the pants and flakpants in the xml file to whatever you like
(you can open and edit them with any notepad but I'd recommend getting notepad++ cause it makes xml files SO much easier to understand)
I'm just a simple artist aswell so I can understand any hesitation
it took me quite a few days of trial and error and frustration to get any sort of good grasp of the xmls
but the stuff is actually pretty simple once you get past the 'being completely overwhelmed' phase ;D

Anyway good luck and I hope you have the strength to see this project through!