[1.3.3159] Responsibility for prisoner infection death

Started by notgreat, November 13, 2021, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notgreat

Circumstances
Early game, cruddy medics, low medicine. A raider who I thought I might heal and release for rep got 2 infections and ultimately one of the infections killed them. It happens, fine.

Maybe important - none of my colonists injured this raider. He was taken out by a visiting faction caravan.

What happened
We rescued the guy, put him in a bed, tended his wounds. A bit later he got two infections, one of which we got ahead of, one we couldn't. We did try, but he died.

A completely different colonist, who can't even do healing or wardening, hauled the dead prisoner off to the corpse pile. (edit: To be clear this was really early, there were no other bodies in the corpse zone)

That colonist has the "I was responsible for the death of an innocent prisoner" debuff.

He wasn't, he just hauled off the body.

What I expected to happen
There's a couple of things I would have expected:
* Sometimes people die, maybe a corpse-haul debuff, if that,  but nothing else (It was a hostile faction/raid)
* They'd been tended there for a couple days while we tried to heal so maybe one of the medics that tended them gets the debuff like "I couldn't save them"

But I certainly did not expect the poor guy who had nothing to do with any of this and was just hauling the body to shoulder the responsibility for the death.

Here's some screenshots that might help:

Colony -5 debuff vs hauler -15 debuff for responsibility:  https://i.imgur.com/iuk6iq8.png

But it's even worse, his fellow colonists think that he's responsible, too, just for tidying up the body so they wouldn't get grossed out about it:  https://i.imgur.com/xOOTCor.png

Poor guy.

StlyAu

"Death of innocent prisoner" is a colony wide debuff. It doesn't matter if the colonist had any interaction with the prisoner or not. I think only Psychopath trait would not get the debuff due to not caring about dead bodies amongst other things that don't matter to them.

*edit* Psychopath and Bloodlust are only traits that will negate the "innocent prisoner" debuff.

notgreat

Oh sure, the -5 or whatever "innocent prisoner died" debuff is fine and not what I'm referring to.

The poor guy who just hauled off the body has a -15 "I was responsible for the death of an innocent prisoner"

Maybe this will help:  https://imgur.com/a/4RrHW81

Thanks

StlyAu

That's related to the ideology you have choice. Notice the icon on the right side of both those debuffs? That icon means it's an ideology mood effect. Check the sub-memes of your ideology and you'll find the reason for it. I forget atm which one it would be.

*edit* If you have trouble figuring it out... perhaps add an image of the ideology memes and the two pawns traits. Both could add more detail to why the debuffs are the way they are on those two pawns.

notgreat

Thanks, I understand the debuffs and the idealogy, I guess I'm not explaining myself well.  Forget the debuffs.

In the below scenario, who is responsible for the death of the raider?

* Raider attacks colony
* Visiting caravan downs him (no colonists involved)
* Hooke takes the raider to bed and treats his wounds
* Raider gets two infections
* Hooke tends to both infections
* Raider fails to gain immunity fast enough
* Raider dies from infection
* Cambiar hauls raider's body to stockpile

So, who killed the raider?

StlyAu

As I said before, without an image of your specific memes... the question can only be speculatively answered. The answer is in there. Post a image of what I mentioned before... the memes and the traits of those two pawns. I'm pretty sure, Canute or Pheanox would say the same thing.

notgreat

Sorry, thanks but it has nothing to do with the memes.  Forget the debuffs, they don't matter at all. They're a symptom.  Given the steps outlined above (caravan wounded raider, colonist healed raider, raider died of infection)

Who killed the raider? 

Canute

QuoteWho killed the raider? 
It is an old fact, that you or your colony is responsible for anything that happen on your map.
When a visitor/caravan member die from some predator/mech/insect you normaly loose standing with that faction.
In your case
-  Visiting caravan downs him (no colonists involved)
it doesn't matter if one of your pawn pull the trigger, it happen on your map.

The only curious thing is that the caravan took the corpse. Maybe a new mechanic never heared/notice it myself.

But yes, it could be a bug that a random pawn get the -15 mood, that is something Phaenor need to investigate.
So please post you meme, or upload the  savegame somewhere and post the link.

Pheanox

Thanks for the bug report.  It does sound like intended behavior for the most part.  If you'd like me to look at the issue though, could you please upload your save for me to review what was going on?  You can see how to do that in the "How to post a bug" thread.