[MOD] (Alpha 8) A2B: conveyor belts & co. [v0.8.0]

Started by noone, August 18, 2014, 10:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IWannaChaos

Quote from: noone on August 25, 2014, 07:00:55 PMAlthough we do not officially encourage it, *if* you were to by-pass some of our XML security measures protecting your colonists and send them crossing a working belt, we would certainly be curious to hear about the outcome - most likely a flashy red message on the screen ;)
I did a search and replace to make their pass-ability identical to that of the core game's sandbags and I haven't gotten an error message while spending a decent amount of time testing it. (read:Playing the game) The colonists would walk on them like they were floors and when they crossover I imagine them vaulting over 'parkour' style

GarrettFox

Quote from: IWannaChaos on August 31, 2014, 11:44:06 PM
Quote from: noone on August 25, 2014, 07:00:55 PMAlthough we do not officially encourage it, *if* you were to by-pass some of our XML security measures protecting your colonists and send them crossing a working belt, we would certainly be curious to hear about the outcome - most likely a flashy red message on the screen ;)
I did a search and replace to make their pass-ability identical to that of the core game's sandbags and I haven't gotten an error message while spending a decent amount of time testing it. (read:Playing the game) The colonists would walk on them like they were floors and when they crossover I imagine them vaulting over 'parkour' style

Ooh nice, thanks for posting that. Was just thinking about doing that. It is super inconvenient to have them impassable.

noone

Quote from: IWannaChaos on August 31, 2014, 11:44:06 PM
I did a search and replace to make their pass-ability identical to that of the core game's sandbags and I haven't gotten an error message [...] I imagine them vaulting over 'parkour' style

Thanks for sharing this. Glad to see that the mod is somewhat resistant to tinkering ;) Our scientists are working on out-of-this-World physics which we hope to incorporate into an official, esthetic and efficient way to cross conveyor belts for your colonists (with some added bonuses compared to simply making belts passable). I agree that this is an important feature to have, you can't just have belts running everywhere without an access way - that's defeating the purpose.
On a side note, your colonists must be really fit, given that the belt is waist-high ... ;)

Iwillbenicetou

I have an Idea! have something that automatically picks something up and moves it to a conveyor belt. Because the colonists have to haul the object to the conveyor belt afterwards. Hopefully Tynan will develop a system to make sure colonists do X amount of things before they can go and sleep/eat.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

noone

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 05, 2014, 08:56:58 PM
have something that automatically picks something up and moves it to a conveyor belt.

If you're thinking about a droid/small automated cart/etc... this is not the right mod for it. We won't ever deal with automated 'pawn-like' things. On the other hand, if you're thinking about something like a crane or a giant vacuum cleaner with a finite action radius that can 'grab' near-by items and load them automatically on the belt, then maybe ...

I'll keep this idea handy - I can see how useful that would be, if you were to build such a structure in the middle of your potato fields ... ;)

Ramsis

Quote from: noone on September 06, 2014, 01:51:06 AM
Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 05, 2014, 08:56:58 PM
have something that automatically picks something up and moves it to a conveyor belt.

If you're thinking about a droid/small automated cart/etc... this is not the right mod for it. We won't ever deal with automated 'pawn-like' things. On the other hand, if you're thinking about something like a crane or a giant vacuum cleaner with a finite action radius that can 'grab' near-by items and load them automatically on the belt, then maybe ...

I'll keep this idea handy - I can see how useful that would be, if you were to build such a structure in the middle of your potato fields ... ;)

Still requesting a tutorial video there Noone. I know it may sound lazy but honestly it's a nice little addition. That or a drawn tutorial would be nice as well.

In regards to the crane/etc idea this mod and it's precursor mod feel heavily based around Factorio and as such it wouldn't be too much trouble seeing you expand on their conveyor system should you want to attempt it.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Iwillbenicetou

Yeah, it's just my guys harvest the food, and leave it there for a day. would be nice to bring the food onto the conveyor belt so the chefs can prepare the food.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

asarium

Quote from: Ramsis on September 06, 2014, 02:37:55 PM
Still requesting a tutorial video there Noone. I know it may sound lazy but honestly it's a nice little addition. That or a drawn tutorial would be nice as well.
I can make a screenshot driven tutorial when the next release is out.

noone

Our team at A2B is proud to bring you A2B:v0.6.3 - smooth motion & teleporters update !

Once again, the code has been subject to a large overhaul. Items on the belt now move seamlessly thanks to a brand new way of drawing them 'in-house'. We offer you 3 more belt items:
- the splitter, that sends item two ways indiscriminately.
- the teleporter and
- the receiver that work together to allow your colonists to cross a belt line, or have a belt line 'jump' a wall, or even another belt line !

The source code has been moved to Github, and we have created there a little image-based tutorial to give you the basic of the A2B conveyor belt units.

A couple of bug fixes as well (rock chunks behave just fine now!) and a bit more logic added, so you can't just connect belts randomly (e.g. you can't connect two straight belt with a rotation offset anymore - use a curve instead, etc...).

We at A2B hope you will enjoy the new possibilities offered by the v0.6.3. Combining the different belt elements and associated logic in smart ways will let you create more complex designs than ever before, and we look forward to hearing from your experience !

harpo99999

noone, there does not seem to be a download other than sourcecode (in two different buttons) in the links, is there an operatable (ie non-source only) download.
edit there is now a non-source download. thank you

noone

My bad - there is one now. Note that both the source AND the entire mod are bundled together in the 'Source' files, but just in case, you can now get the Mod alone without the source.

Also just to be clear, this update is not compatible with the old one - you'll need to start fresh with it.

nerevar

Hello, love this mod but I have a few requests/questions.  First, could you have unloaded rocks and slag automatically designated haulable?  The drill mod elsewhere on the forum does this and it is super convenient.  Second, is a "reverse-splitter" possible, that will allow me to condense multiple loader belts into one main funnel.

Thanks!

asarium

Quote from: nerevar on September 13, 2014, 07:10:59 AM
First, could you have unloaded rocks and slag automatically designated haulable?
I tried that some time ago but I couldn't figure out how to do it but thanks to the driller mod I found a solution. You can follow the pull request here: https://github.com/noone57/RW_A2B/pull/11

Quote from: nerevar on September 13, 2014, 07:10:59 AM
Second, is a "reverse-splitter" possible, that will allow me to condense multiple loader belts into one main funnel.
The Selector can be used for this. The two small arrows show the locations where you can attach your incoming belts.

noone

Thanks for the pull request asarium. I merged it into the master branch. I just tested it and it works great.

Also, if for any reason you do NOT want your colonists to automatically haul the chunks at the exit of the belt, you can define a 1x1 stockpile with maximum priority there. No colonist will haul anything until you change the stockpile priority, and the other items will nicely pile-up on the belt (same idea for any item, chunks or potatoes). We should add a screenshot of this in the tutorial eventually.

The update will be included de-facto in the next release, but in principle you ought to simply replace A2B.dll in the mod folder if you can't wait until then: https://github.com/noone57/RW_A2B/blob/master/Assemblies/A2B.dll

nerevar

Ahh, had no idea the selector could be used like that!  Thanks a ton.