[1.3.3200 - Base+Roy - Manjaro KDE] Mouse movement doesn't register if it's slow

Started by Hexicube, December 05, 2021, 05:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexicube

I didn't encounter this issue on Windows, but that was also pre-ideology so it could be a new update.

If I move my mouse slowly enough, Rimworld doesn't register that movement at all. This happens with everything, vanilla or modded.

Video attached shows the issue. I can still click on buttons if they don't appear highlighted, but it's causing issues for mouse-over tooltips.

Ark

Pheanox

I have got a bug report in for this one, thanks for the report and we apologize for the inconvenience.  I'll add this to the collection.

glass zebra

Slow mouse movement does not trigger a lot of things that work fine with fast mouse movement.

This includes triggering tooltips from hover (pawn skills, work type descriptions etc.) and setting sliders in bills. If the mouse is moved faster it works just fine, but very slow movements do not trigger mouse over or move the slider at all.

I am certain this bug has been introduced in 1.3.
This seems to be a Linux only bug.

glass zebra

Is it an engine update thing or something and kinda low on the priority? It's definitely playable but rather annoying.

Pheanox

I definitely appreciate your enthusiasm for reporting bugs, but I would prefer not having duplicate reports.

Giselbaer

This is, kind of, a duplicate of https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54419.msg490455#msg490455, which is half a year old, with the last message being "sent to the devs", but it's still not resolved.

I never had this problem in any version between a16 and 1.2, when, half a year ago, I took a break from Rimworld. Installed 1.3 a few days ago - I have none of the expansions, just the base game, so it's a problem with 1.3, not with Ideology.

Whenever I move the cursor slowly, the "mouseover" effect of what's below the cursor doesn't work. For example, in the main menu, I can move the cursor up from below "Quit to OS" to above "Save" without any of the buttons ever highlighting, if I do it slow enough. Same with the tooltips in the bottom right; if one of them is highlighted (and the tooltip shown), slowly moving the cursor around won't highlight any of the others, and it won't replace the tooltip either. Which is very annoying if you move the cursor over one item, realize it's the wrong one, move it to the next, slowly, so you don't overshoot, but still get the tooltip of the old one displayed.

It's the same in the architect menus; move the cursor over "Cancel" in "Misc",  and if you move it right slow enough, the "tooltip" will stay on cancel even if I move the cursor all the way to the right to the pen marker.

Pressing the mouse button will use the correct item under the cursor - move the cursor to "Cancel", move it right (slowly) to the egg box - tooltip still says cancel - press the cursor, and you'll get an egg box to place.

The "mouseover not detected" bug seems to happen in all UI elements, but not the world itself. Moving the cursor over the landscape always updates the feature description in the left bottom of the screen.

It looks to me like there's some "safeguard" in the mouseover detection of UI elements, like, if the cursor hasn't moved at least X pixels since the last update, then don't run the "check if the mouseover element has changed" code.

This happens no matter if I have the "Custom cursor" on or off in the options menu.
In case it's of any relevance, my resolution is 2560x1440, UI scale is 1, and Fullscreen is on.

glass zebra

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=55930.msg493982#msg493982 is the most recent response, which is less than 2 weeks old. This bug has been introduced in 1.3. They do know.

ison