[Vanilla] Colonist stuttering glitch

Started by Samapple31, December 26, 2021, 04:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samapple31

Hello folks! I discovered the colonists stuttering glitch on Yeti's youtube channel. This can be caused by Floating-point-precision errors, and possibly game bugs. This bug can still occur, but rare.
Born with pleasure and patience.

Pheanox

Can I please get more information on what you are referring to please?  A link, a description of the bug?  Thanks.

Samapple31

Here is the basic information.
There was no link provided.
1. Per every 2 tiles the floating point errors exist. The max is capped at 8,388,608 tiles(2^23), with the coordinates of all entities being 1. This overflows at 2^24 (16,777,216) tiles, forming a stripe every other tile.

Pheanox

Hello again, you mentioned watching this on YouTube, I was hoping for a link to what you saw so I could see it myself.

I need a better description of what exactly is going on, however.  I have spoken with the devs and they need more info.  Please review the "How to report a bug" stickied topic.  The devs aren't sure its even possible to have a 16,777,216 tile map.  Is that the problem, using a modded, massive map size?  Another thought is having a bug with a pawn with a modded  huge movement speed that almost seems to teleport around.  Both of these, of course, would be on modded games and not supported.  If you mean another thing, please let me know.  The way you wrote this makes it seem like it is a known bug, is there an article or post somewhere that explains this bug?

Samapple31

@Pheanox There was no documented article page provided.

Pheanox

Without further information, I am unable to continue investigating this bug.  I'll leave this open for a few more days in case anyone else has any input.