Randy Random=Phoebe Friendly?

Started by ble210, August 19, 2014, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ble210

Been playing a game on Randy Random, but I have found it to be way too easy; I go many months between raids.  I know its alpha and things need to be tweaked, but it would be nice if there was a bit more challenge.

Lost Cause

In my experience Randy Random is a lot more unforgiving than Phoebe but tends not to be the certain death sentence Casandra is. Randy will throw quickly enlarging waves at you at reasonably regular intervals similar to Phoebe but Phoebe grows the waves much more slowly. Casandra on the other hand just grows the waves very quickly and rapidly reaches the point where there just is no hope.
This very much depends on the other setting you pick.
Phoebe on challenge (100% wave size) setting works out as an easy start building to a decent challenge. A colony can easily last 3 to 4 years with no issues.
I found Randy on rough (60% wave size) was OK for a colony to last 1 to 2 years
Casandra will kill you. Sooner or later she will just murder you.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

ble210

Hmmm.  I would like some challenge, but I've found myself just putting my colony on autopilot for 95% of the time with Randy; almost no challenge presents itself.  I'm about six months in, and am bored of the colony now.

ApexPredator

I have only played randy once and it had constant raids and the sizes were not random. It went something like 2,4,4,10,15,15,15,50,50,50,200,200,352352352,death

Rahjital

Randy is exactly what it says on the tin - random. You can get months without attacks and you can get waves of many raids is short succession, depending on what the random number god decides to do.

As for Cassandra being a killer: you don't HAVE to fight the raiders, you know. Sometimes it's better to let the raiders do some redecorating while you watch from a safe distance.

Quote from: ApexPredator on August 19, 2014, 04:46:32 PM
I have only played randy once and it had constant raids and the sizes were not random. It went something like 2,4,4,10,15,15,15,50,50,50,200,200,352352352,death

Yeah, Randy does ramp up difficulty like Cassie and Phoebe, but he is definitely way more random than the other storytellers. If I remember right, he can give you raids between 60% and 150% of their supposed strength. Can you imagine if the ramp-up wasn't there and you would get dozens of raiders in the first month?

litlbear

lol do you play on builder mode or casual? otherwise you're lying.  i play randy with Challenge on and I barely survive the raids.
yes

Cyclops

Once Randy decided to drop a centipede down on my colony. It wouldn't have been so bad but I only had 5 colonists with pistols and a Lee-Enfield. Thankfully I was able to bait it towards turrets and then flank it.

Bog

The other day I had randy random give me three raids in less than 5 minutes. I had to deal with 8-10 pirates with only my first 3 colonists.

I had another colony get stomped on really badly, because I had a huge attack that left everybody nearly to their mental break, then got a psychic drone.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Ember

I once had 3 mortar teams of 30 or so raiders land one after the other, 3rd one landed shortly before the first finished setting up, after that, had a large wave of something like 40 raiders attack immediately, and as they were assaulting my walls another group of like 20 landed ontop of me. one of the most brutal attacks I've ever suffered

ble210

I started a new game, and things are definitely much more challenging (which I am really enjoying).  The first game I guess was just a bit of an aberration; six months went by with very few, small attacks, and lots of random people joining my colony.

Lost Cause

Well I tried Casandra again to see if I was just unlucky... every other time. Set it to challenge, picked a desert and the third raid was 3 people, 2 with frag grenades and one with Molotov cocktails.
things looked like it would end well until one of the raiders with the frags decided to toss one into the middle of a melee between the other 2 raiders and 2 of my colonists.
This killed all 4 despite my best effort to get out of the way. My last colonist managed to take down the last raider but she lost an arm in the process and is now suffering blood loss. Dead colony.
I suppose there is some slim hope that she could recruit... can't do social....
Thank you Casandra, once again, for wasting my time.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Lazarus

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 20, 2014, 05:52:31 PM
Well I tried Casandra again to see if I was just unlucky... every other time. Set it to challenge, picked a desert and the third raid was 3 people, 2 with frag grenades and one with Molotov cocktails.
things looked like it would end well until one of the raiders with the frags decided to toss one into the middle of a melee between the other 2 raiders and 2 of my colonists.
This killed all 4 despite my best effort to get out of the way. My last colonist managed to take down the last raider but she lost an arm in the process and is now suffering blood loss. Dead colony.
I suppose there is some slim hope that she could recruit... can't do social....
Thank you Casandra, once again, for wasting my time.

Well with a name like Lost Cause I guess you brought it on yourself? hehe :P
Poke poke, stab stab.

cartmancakes

Had a game today on Randy where 2 sieges happened at once.  I just ignored them, as I'm decently defended in a mountain.  At one point I realize we're not being attacked anymore.  I look over, and everyone is dead.  Apparently a neighboring tribe showed up and they all killed each other.  I think the other siege just starved or something.

Yeah, screw attacking sieges.  Waiting them out a repairing the minimal damage is MUCH easier.  :)

EmmaWayne

randy is a motherf*** :D

day 9

1. raid
5 vs 3 molotov and explosives
3 down, 1 capture, 1 excape / all of my guys injured but not so bad.
my HOLE base on fire :D melee? NOPE^^ i think the raiders came directly from a wrestling event...

day 10

2. raid + dry thunderstorm
4 pods right in to my base (escape guy calls for backup i think^^) another wrestling group with molotov explosives and guns
half of my base is still on fire. couple seconds later "dry thunderstorm" fu** you randy :D
the captured guy goes on rampage -.-

the end of it:
everything on fire, 1 dead, 1 leaving the colony, 1 on a rampage

edit:
i love randy... you never know what happens next
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

EarthyTurtle

I think Randy still has the challenge progression, it's just his events happen at randomly timed intervals and do not follow any sort of pattern, they are just random. Otherwise I'm 90% sure his raid's sizes will still grow like Cassandra's and Pheobe's will. Randy can either be a cakewalk or an unforgiving menace, but make no mistake eventually he will eventually kill you just like the other 2 will.

In other news Pheobe is diabolical now! 1 year, 1 month in i'm facing 11 centipedes armed with heavy weapons and 5 scythers during a drop raid. She is no long the sweet, innocent woman we've known her to be....