Strange bugs persisting trough windows reinstall on fresh saves

Started by Chillzon3, January 17, 2022, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chillzon3

Hi!

I have been battling some serious issues with Rimworld (modless) for quite some time now.

At any given time, I will get errors related to work and stacks/items and particularly smoothing, but not isolated to. The longer i play, the worse it gets.

Pawns wont smooth walls/floors.

Recreation is ignored even when fully set to all day rec in the schedule.

Sometimes pawns ignore direct commands, but will usually listen the second time i tell them.

What I've done so far to get in the bottom of this is:

Reinstalled the game 4 times.

Verified it numerous times

Reinstalled windows.

Deleted all cloud data.

Changed/replaced my drive.

Picked apart my computer and tested all HW components individually.

Asked for help in the official discord Rimworld, dev discord. Nobody seems to understand/figure out what this is.
It seems to be a local issue, as new saves works on my laptop, but older from the problem machine breaks on a secondary machine

https://imgur.com/a/rq6T83I

Latest screenshots. I accidentally wiped my logs when reinstalling the OS. Will provide more as I get back into the game.

Canute

Hi,
there are only 2 log's the player.log and the player-prev.log, they get overwriten with each rimworld start.
And the log from the screenshot and the posted log don't show any error's at startup.
That mean's the rimworld installation is fine.

The logfile show what you use Rimworld, Royalty,Ideology but they arn't active at the screenshot.
I just want to be sure that is correct that the savegame is played without DLCs and not that you disabled the DLCs during gameplay, because that could lead to some problems.

But in your case, i would suggest to use the developer tools since i think some strange things happen with the savegame.
How the savegame got these problem's i can't say. Normaly such things don't happen during vanilla gameplay.

Backup your savegame at first, just copy it somewhere so you have a way to goback if you made some bad things.
Enable developer mode at the options.
Spawn pawn, settler, recruit pawn.
Set skill, so they are the same like Saije, then destroy Saije.
Or use Charater editor mod to adjust the new spawned pawn.

Chillzon3

Thanks for answer! This makes no sense at all, DLC's are always active and i'm doing tons of royalty and ideology stuff, never disabled them nor played without them actively ingame.

I've had this issue for 1-2 months +, trough numerous savefiles, royalty as archonexus endings. The savefile in the picture was indeed a archonexus run. iirc, the issues appeared after the first rework of breachers.

Edit: Got this the second i booted my current savegame: https://imgur.com/a/jI0bbuD

The second screenshot clearly shows DLC's are loaded and recognized by the game.

Ark

A very strange issue. Screenshots of small parts of the log aren't really that helpful. Just post the whole thing after you have played for a bit.

Chillzon3

Ark

So the game thinks pemmican has stackLimit 35 yet you play without mods.
Can you get the drm-free version so we can eliminate Steam as a factor? Could it somehow load mixed versions of base game and dlc?
Have you tested the memory sticks? Corrupted memory does all kinds of weird stuff.
Do voltages look good under load? Computer otherwise stable?
Just for funsies disable Royalty and see if it still happens in a new game. Also I'm interested in seeing what the save looks like, and I don't have Royalty. Try the same without Ideology and without any dlc.
Any oddball anti-virus software?
Also one of the logs said that XInput1_3.dll was not found. It propably doesn't matter, but try installing that, too.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Chillzon3

Hmm, how could i get the DRM free version, since i only own the game on steam?
I've had a several guys dig trough my files. I zipped and sent the game and the Ludeon folder in appdata, as far as anyone can see, it's perfectly fine.

Been running tests on the memory, CPU, gpu for days, switched up components back and forth. Voltages, and as far as i can tell, every other variable is within its ranges. Computer is dead stable, and have been in its current configuration for quite some years now. The only reason i reinstalled windows is the issue(s) with Rimworld, haven't had single issue in any other game/heavy applications.

Rocking windows own antivirus, tested with and without. offline as online.
I actually fixed the directx issue yesterday, forgot it after the reinstall of windows and saw the error in the log.

Ill try without the DLC's, good suggestion!

I can upload the save to you?

Chillzon3

Update: i switched up my ram and PSU with a friend, and after some testing, he has no issues with my HW, and i have the same previous issues with the new HW.

Im beyond baffled at this point..

Ark

Upload to something like easyupload.io and post the link. But since several people have already checked it, well, hmh.
You may need an old priest and a young priest.

Canute

Sorry, i can't test the savegame myself, since i don't own Ideology (lack of interest to play currently RW).
So i am geting all the ideology missing erros.
But i notice i can't select any material for walls or workbenches, there is something wrong with that savegame, since on a new colony anything works fine.
But that could be, because i loaded that savegame without Ideology, Ark maybe need to verify the problem.

You start a new colony, just to check if you got the same problem like from your savegame.

But just a gameplay hint. Smoothing walls/floors is very workintensive. And smooth wall's arn't that ugly like natural mountain wall but regular walls are better.
When i replaced the walls from Noono's bedroom with wood/graniteblock walls, the beauty of the room raised to 71, while other room with similar bed just got 49.

Ark

Well because I have no Royalty, I obviously get a ton of errors about that. Apart from that, it seems to work.
You get the drm-free and Steam versions if you buy directly from rimworldgame.com. Of course it's a bit late now.
QuoteWhen i replaced the walls from Noono's bedroom with wood/graniteblock walls, the beauty of the room raised to 71, while other room with similar bed just got 49.
Err? With smoothed natural walls Noono's room has 74 impressiveness. Did you miss the sculpture in the corner?