Hypothetical management decisions, decisions... (Alpha 6)

Started by UrbanBourbon, August 20, 2014, 02:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrbanBourbon

Would you...

...rather lose a poorly skilled colonist or lose 160 metal, a turret's material cost? (you're low on metal and the nearest ore vein is far, on the other hand you're short on manpower)
...rather deal with 20 psychotic muffalos or 20 psychotic squirrels? (you have 6 guys with M-16s, no turrets and no time to build any)
...pick a lazy but passionate grower or a very neurotic chef? (you do not have neither a chef nor a grower on your team already)
...rather have smoothed out stone floors with rock rubble (dirt) on them, or have clean but rough rock floors?
...rather have your colonists eat raw animal meat or starve moderately and wait for your chef to recover from his wounds to get some fine meals (potential minor health loss due to starvation; no vegetables stored)
...go pick an M-16 if it was all the way across a large map, right at the edge. You have pistols only and you haven't had a raid in a loooong time...
...go get the said M-16 with your entire crew in case you'd get a raid on the way?
...feel screwed if a raid came from the opposite edge of the map, and you'd have to run back to the colony with your ass on fire, to defend it?
...rather listen to the rain sound or the ancient crashed ship part droning sound? You're trying to think.
...pick a highly skilled but depressive shooter or an iron-willed poor shooter? You specifically need fighters.
...rather have your burly and barbaric melee fighter run around without clothes or have him wear a sissy pink shirt? (it's the only free shirt there is and this is a trick question)
...rather have a colonist take a shot from a shotgun or a burst from an Uzi? (both fired from the range of 15 squares)
...rather deal with 10 Centipedes or 10 Scythers?
...rather play RimWorld an hour every day, or for 3 hours every 3 days?
...rather have a 14-day eclipse or 4 consecutive blights?

Gu1l7y5p4rk

Would you...

...rather lose a poorly skilled colonist or lose 160 metal, a turret's material cost? (you're low on metal and the nearest ore vein is far, on the other hand you're short on manpower)
Lose 160 metal. I can buy metal or mine it later and deal with the consequences. Randy doesn't supply me with enough colonists to let one go over 160 metal.
...rather deal with 20 psychotic muffalos or 20 psychotic squirrels? (you have 6 guys with M-16s, no turrets and no time to build any)
Muffalos. Easier to spot.
...pick a lazy but passionate grower or a very neurotic chef? (you do not have neither a chef nor a grower on your team already)
Grower. If I don't have either, the grower must come first. Raw food is a higher priority then prepared food.
...rather have smoothed out stone floors with rock rubble (dirt) on them, or have clean but rough rock floors?
Smooth stone with rubble/dirt. Can be cleaned.
...rather have your colonists eat raw animal meat or starve moderately and wait for your chef to recover from his wounds to get some fine meals (potential minor health loss due to starvation; no vegetables stored)
Raw animal meat, or harvest berry bushes. Starvation isn't acceptable in my colonies.
...go pick an M-16 if it was all the way across a large map, right at the edge. You have pistols only and you haven't had a raid in a loooong time...
Depends on base layout, overall 'business' at the time, and higher priorities. I'd choose to wait until later in most situations. Especially if all my colonists already had been equipped with pistols.
...go get the said M-16 with your entire crew in case you'd get a raid on the way?
No, just send one.
...feel screwed if a raid came from the opposite edge of the map, and you'd have to run back to the colony with your ass on fire, to defend it?
See, I only sent one, so my base would be able to defend itself.
...rather listen to the rain sound or the ancient crashed ship part droning sound? You're trying to think.
Constant? Rain. Maybe.
...pick a highly skilled but depressive shooter or an iron-willed poor shooter? You specifically need fighters.
Highly skilled. I prefer people that can shoot with some degree of accuracy.
...rather have your burly and barbaric melee fighter run around without clothes or have him wear a sissy pink shirt? (it's the only free shirt there is and this is a trick question)
N/a
...rather have a colonist take a shot from a shotgun or a burst from an Uzi? (both fired from the range of 15 squares)
Uzi. (Unless I read some stats here on the forums that suggest otherwise.)
Neither. 20 Muffalo.
3 hours every 3 days would actually make my experience more enjoyable and prevent burnout. Maybe I'd get more done irl too..
Blights. Agave bushes FTW!

Dr. Z

Would you...

160 Metal, because 160 metal isn't that much and getting new colonists is very difficult since the factions came in, I can also buy it from traders.
Squirrels. Although the muffalos are easier to spot, I don't think the M-16's would do enough damage and with the burst shot they should be fine against squirrels. With something like Miniguns: Muffalos.
Grower is much more important than chef. Also, lazyness isn't that much of an issue with growers, because the main work is done by the plants themself (growing).
Stone floors with dirt, easy to get rid of.
Eat raw meat. Loss of health is unacceptable. Also, I think they get something like -30 mood when they are that much hungry that they're starving, which is terrible.
Go get the M-16, unless there's something important like repairing/buiding walls etc. to do.
Only the guy equipping it. Even if a raid comes and immediately gets triggered, they still need to move to get in range of my guy while he's moving, plus aim time, so they won't get much chance to shoot him.
As I said. The one hauling can get out of the way easy and the others can defend.
Rain, I like the sound of rain.
The first one. Iron will doesn't help if the guy can't hit anything.
Whatever.
Shotgun. At 15 squares, I guess it isn't even in range of a shotgun and even if it is, it's unlikely to hit and even if it hits, it won't do that much damage that you can't take it.
Scythers, because 10 Centipetes would destroy you before you were able of killing even one of them.
3 hours every 3 days, it's roughly the frequence I'm playing it right now, actually.
14-day-eclipse, would be easier to handle with, 4 blights mean tonns of work for food gatherers.
Prasie the Squirrel!

milon

Lose a poorly skilled colonist or 160 metal?
Depends on what the colonist is passionate about, and what I need the metal for.  If I'm trying to build a spaceship, it's easy to prioritize metal.  If I'm just maintaining a base, I'm happy to train a colonist who loves certain things.

Deal with 20 psychotic muffalos squirrels?
Muffalos!  They're slower, and produce lots of yummy meats!

Lazy but passionate grower or a very neurotic chef?
The chef.  They're harder to come by, and the penalty for having low (1-3) growing skill isn't too bad.

Smooth stone floors with rock rubble (dirt) on them, or have clean but rough rock floors?
Smooth stone floors.  It's easy to clean a floor, and smooth floors look nice.

Have your colonists eat raw animal meat or starve moderately and wait?
Depends on the colonists' health and mood overall.  It could go either way.

Pick an M-16 if it was all the way across a large map?
Absolutely!

Get the said M-16 with your entire crew in case you'd get a raid on the way?
Nah.  I'd only tell 1 colonist to equip it.

Feel screwed if a raid came from the opposite edge of the map, and you'd have to run back to the colony with your ass on fire, to defend it?
I don't evacuate en masse, so this wouldn't happen to me.  I'd manually control the poor schmoe who was getting the M-16, and either guide him back or have him kite the raiders.  (If I was for sure going to lose him, I'd have him drop the M-16 first and let someone else grab it later.)

Listen to the rain sound or the ancient crashed ship part droning sound? You're trying to think.
Rain.  Something neutral vs something negative, right.  Is this a trick question?  Is there anything about the sound of rain that impacts the colony?

Highly skilled but depressive shooter or an iron-willed poor shooter?
Iron-willed.  Skill can be trained, but traits cannot.  And an iron-willed colonist will be around much longer than a depressive one.

Have your burly and barbaric melee fighter run around without clothes or have him wear a sissy pink shirt? (it's the only free shirt there is and this is a trick question)
I'd laugh at him either way, so it depends on his traits.  (I'd be funny if the other colonists had negative thoughts for seeing a nude colonist!)

A colonist take a shot from a shotgun or a burst from an Uzi?
Uzi.  Less chance of immediately destroying a bodypart.

Deal with 10 Centipedes or 10 Scythers?
Centipedes, by a small margin.  Easy to kite.

Play RimWorld an hour every day, or for 3 hours every 3 days?
An hour every day.  Much more balanced.  Too bad real life isn't like that!  ;)

Have a 14-day eclipse or 4 consecutive blights?
Eclipse.  It's a positive at that time span.  ;)  I don't rely on solar power much.  A 14-day eclipse would kill every plant not under a sun lamp.  Since I'm protective of the agave & berries near my base, this would basically mean no food for animals, which means free meat everywhere.  It would also cause the berries & agave to spread everywhere afterwards.  So 14-day eclipse = LOTS of free food!

Lost Cause

...rather lose a poorly skilled colonist or lose 160 metal, a turret's material cost?
If they aren't Sanguine or Iron-Willed they are Meat. Meat is replaced every time a raid shows up. Meat goes on the front line.

...rather deal with 20 psychotic muffalos or 20 psychotic squirrels?
Muffalo that come to my base? Saves me a lot of trouble hunting them down on the far corners of the map.

...pick a lazy but passionate grower or a very neurotic chef?
The Lazy one. and I would mark him as Meat and sell him to slavers the moment I had a better farmer. One that is Iron Willed or Sanguine.

Clean floors. Smoothing stone is a waste of time. I'll just throw carpets or stone tile over it eventually anyway.

...rather have your colonists eat raw animal meat or starve moderately and wait for your chef to recover from his wounds to get some fine meals
Eat the raw meat. Starvation is a massive penalty to happiness. eating raw food is only a big one.

Meat. You're up.

What are you kidding? Meat! Go! Everyone else back to work!

If I'm still armed with nothing but pistols this can't be an impressive raid.
all Meat to the front line. Worthwhile colonists to the back. We don't need the M16 any more. We're about to have a lot of new meat bring weapons to us.

*glances outside* I can't say I have ever noticed the rain sound. Guess I can't really pick it out over the sound of rain.

Iron willed. Depressive aren't even worth being Meat and I use nothing but burst weapons anyway.

...rather have your burly and barbaric melee fighter run around without clothes or have him wear a sissy pink shirt?
Is he cute?

Uzi.

Centipedes carry Miniguns.... Miniguns... Miniguns... I'm sorry what was the question? I suddenly had a vision of all my colonists being armed with Miniguns

3 hours every 3 days.

Oh no! Not an eclipse! What does this effect? Our backup power systems? Were we using those? No? OK then.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

HatesYourFace

Tough choice, I'm going with the Metal, even a poorly skilled Colonist can go on to make me more Metal/Silver to buy Metal. Assuming he doesn't die too soon he will more than likely earn me back more than 160 Metal over the course of his lifetime.

Muffalos for sure, they are significantly slower then the squirrels. 20 Psycho squirrels would Zerg rush 6 colonists in no time flat. If the squirrels didn't get them the FF would once the Squirrels were in about their legs.

Toss up, neither one is a particular problem since Grower's don't work that often (Waiting for plants to grow) and a Chef's environment can be highly controlled so he should be fine. I'm gonna flip a coin and say...the Chef.

Smooth floors with dirt, you can always clean them which is easier than installing Smooth floors over Rough floors.

Why isn't having a lower skilled colonist fill in for the Chef and cook simple meals an option?

Yeah, I'd send my worst guy though. Or my fastest if there were none I was willing to part with.

Nope. Better to lose a hand than risk your body.

Probably not as I always have a pretty substantial turret farm going.

The rain, if I'm hearing a crashed ship part drone I've got bigger problems than annoying noises.

Iron-willed poor shooter, He can always get better. The skilled shooter is never going to stop being depressive.

Lol. It is a trick question, the burliest colonist should always wear pink. Pink is manly.

Uzi, less chance of permanent damage/limb loss.

Scythers, assuming I have a turret farm. (Generally a pretty safe assumption.)

Tough choice, prolly 3 hours every 3 days...when I play i like to sit down for a pretty good session of at least 2-3 hours. I don't even like playing if I'm pressed for time. On the other hand, that's a long time to go without a Rimworld fix lol.

Eclipse. I build Batteries in the dozens and usually have at least 2-3 thermal gen's. I don't even notice eclipses.

Lol, fun thread man! I enjoyed pondering the pro's and con's of each situation.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 20, 2014, 01:22:47 PM
Is he cute?
Well, he's a hairy tribal, 6-foot tall, smells gross and he likes to wrestle muffalos. He has little to no sense of humor but he likes to laugh at people who take showers.

Centipedes carry Miniguns.... Miniguns... Miniguns... I'm sorry what was the question? I suddenly had a vision of all my colonists being armed with Miniguns
I... I like the way you think but only because I'm too terrified to oppose you openly.

Oh no! Not an eclipse! What does this effect? Our backup power systems? Were we using those? No? OK then.
Wait, what? You're not afraid of the dark? What is WRONG with you?

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 20, 2014, 02:25:37 PM
Lol. It is a trick question, the burliest colonist should always wear pink. Pink is manly.
Not true. The color pink drains manliness and cultivates girlyness. But I wouldn't say that to a hairy shirtless 6-foot wrestler tribal who has no sense of humor.

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 20, 2014, 02:25:37 PM
Scythers, assuming I have a turret farm. (Generally a pretty safe assumption.)
I like this concept of a 'turret farm'.

Dr. Z

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 20, 2014, 02:55:57 PM
Is he cute?

Well, he's a hairy tribal, 6-foot tall, smells gross and he likes to wrestle muffalos.

Why didn't you say that we are talking about cewbacca in your original post? Well in this case I definitely take the pink shirt.
Prasie the Squirrel!

HatesYourFace

The sun rises over the turret fields as the lead farmers prepare for the morning's work... It's going to be a good harvest today.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

milon

Wait, what? You're not afraid of the dark? What is WRONG with you?
That should be a trait!!

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 20, 2014, 03:57:51 PM
The sun rises over the turret fields as the lead farmers prepare for the morning's work... It's going to be a good harvest today.
-img-
Don't the turrets wreck each other with that setup?  And how many do you tend to lose per raid?

HatesYourFace

Quote from: milon on August 20, 2014, 04:01:53 PM
-img-
Don't the turrets wreck each other with that setup?  And how many do you tend to lose per raid?

Nope, never had a Turret friendly fire another turret, as far as I know it doesn't happen. Also they are all 3 squares from each other so explosions never chain. (The red line indicates the unsafe area where turret explosions would damage a colonist.) I place all my colonists on the green squares in cover behind the walls and I typically lose the first 3 turrets to a decent sized raid (20-30 enemies) anything bigger than that can take out up to half of the first areas turret or more. I haven't had to fall back to the second area except during one particularly nasty Psycho squirrel event, they were so fast they broke the first line without even worrying about killing the turrets. (The Blue/Red lights are to remind me if they are off/on. Lol...nothing like wondering why none of them are firing only to realize you left them off to conserve power...)

Lost Cause

You can improve that farm by adding sandbags to the entrance passage. If you pack the sandbags in to the 1 tile wide passage you can force all raiders out of the passage and free of cover.
Also, you don't need 3 spaces between turrets if you add a single block of stone wall between them. So you can pack your turrets in almost side by side with no issue.
Additionally, putting sandbags in front of them slows raiders down when they move in too close to the turret which stops one body soaking all the bullets.
I'd also put stone walls directly behind them and put a metal wall behind that to be sure they have access to an uninterrupted power supply which is much more secure than a power conduit.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 20, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
You can improve that farm by adding sandbags to the entrance passage. If you pack the sandbags in to the 1 tile wide passage you can force all raiders out of the passage and free of cover.
Also, you don't need 3 spaces between turrets if you add a single block of stone wall between them. So you can pack your turrets in almost side by side with no issue.
Additionally, putting sandbags in front of them slows raiders down when they move in too close to the turret which stops one body soaking all the bullets.
I'd also put stone walls directly behind them and put a metal wall behind that to be sure they have access to an uninterrupted power supply which is much more secure than a power conduit.

Sandbags would slow my colonists down as well. More walls would block my colonists LOS. I have redundant conduits to avoid power loss. Your advice is appreciated but I disagree with your "suggestions". I suppose different designers place different emphasis on different things. Also, were getting off topic here lol.

Lazarus

You sir are a genius! I was thinking of a design myself that I have yet to try so when I do I'll have to take a picture and let you guys see how it goes :)
Poke poke, stab stab.

milon

Heh, back in Alpha 5, I once made a stone wall that was 4 or 5 blocks thick and had a Y-shaped entrance through it (to block enemy sniper LOS).  The only way in was a 1-block wide corridor that led straight to a very large room with 30 or 35 turrets fanned out (with stone blocks in between to absorb any blasts).  I also parked a few colonists behind the turrets to repair them as needed.  Got attacked by 6 raiders with explosives, no problem.  Got attacked by 6 Centipedes, no problem.  I barely had to do any repair work at all!  Wonder how that would work in A6 with the bodypart system...  :D