With small prison area, pathing produces lag

Started by ItchyFlea, November 04, 2013, 10:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

For some reason, when my warden is having a friendly chat with a prisoner, the FPS will drop significantly until the conversation ends. If I'm playing the game at 3x speed, the game will literally become a slideshow.
A workaround solution is to conscript the colonist, make him/her walk somewhere then release him/her.

Here's a save file of the game demonstrating the problem due to Colonist Fleming talking to Prisoner Marsh:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/x6giz7c9d4dpcnb/Fir2.rim
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

willow512

So I built a 2x2 prison one bed, one lamp, one free spot to stand in. When other colonists talk to the prisoners the FPS drops dramatically when the game is fastforwarded. On normal speed the effect is still there but not as pronounced.

I figured it might be some kind of pathing problem. So I built larger prisons for them to have something to path through and the problem went away.

Workaround: Don't be skimpy on prison space. ;)

British

Is it the same configuration as on this thread: very cramped prisoner room ?

ItchyFlea

Not exactly.

The problem is not caused directly by the shape or size of the room (although that dramatically increases the chances of it happening),  but rather the bug occurs if the warden in standing in the doorway when chatting with the prisoner.

To comply with the bug reporting rules that I didn't notice before:

Version: 0.0.250
Steps to reproduce:
1) Get a warden to stand in the doorway to the prisoner room when having a 'friendly chat' with a prisoner.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

enystrom8734

I agree with you that this may be related to pathing. When ever you prevent pathing of things, it gets SLOW.

These problems are both one in the same. Will file a FlySpray report in a little bit (unless someone beats me).
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734