Help with breeding pair pens

Started by Twilight Sentinel, March 16, 2022, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilight Sentinel

I'm having trouble getting my pawns to play nice with animal pens.  I'd like to have one pen that contains all my male chickens and one female one, while the other pen has all my other animals including a large number of female chickens for egg laying.

Both pens are primarily fed with kibble, though one is much bigger than the other.

Is there any way to set this up?  My pawns keep trying to move chickens around to where I don't want them.

Twilight Sentinel

Quote from: Canute on March 16, 2022, 09:43:36 PM
Maybe that help you ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54893.0
It doesn't look like it, as it doesn't let you filter gender for only one animal or lock specific animals to pens.

The more I look into it the more it looks like there's no way to isolate a breeding pair and I'll have to have three entirely separate animal pens to actually isolate the male and female chickens from one another.  The third animal pen being for all my other animals. 

I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the only answer though.  Even if you're just confirming this is the only answer, I'd appreciate it if anyone can chime in.

Vellaciraptor

I don't think there is. If you just want to keep population down you can sterilise female chickens which causes them to only lay unfertilised eggs, or allow colonists to use fertilised eggs in cooking.

(I think the sterilisation is base game? I can't think of any mod I use which would be allowing for that behaviour...)

Twilight Sentinel

Quote from: Vellaciraptor on March 17, 2022, 09:35:31 AM
I don't think there is. If you just want to keep population down you can sterilise female chickens which causes them to only lay unfertilised eggs, or allow colonists to use fertilised eggs in cooking.

(I think the sterilisation is base game? I can't think of any mod I use which would be allowing for that behaviour...)
Sterilization is in the base game, but doing so is an operation that costs a unit of herbal medicine.  It's good to know that does still allow chickens to lay eggs.  So it's at least a feasible option to sterilize most of my females.