12700K - No Overclocking - Really Amazing performance!

Started by viperwasp, April 04, 2022, 08:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperwasp

I have 27 Pawns, over 30 animals. On a fairly large size map. And the game runs butter smooth! Just upgraded from a I7 7700K - No overclocking and the performance difference is absolutely amazing. I'm running like 65+ Mods as well! lol

Not sure if Ram Speed plays into it. But I will report that I'm currently running 64GB 3600Mhz C18. I know 32GB is more then enough for gaming. And Rimworld does not use a lot of Ram. You won't need more then 32GB for any games really. Unless you get into some Editing/Render type work too. But the 3600Mhz and C18 are the important aspects to take away here. If you don't know the graphics card is not that important for Rimworld. So I imagine it's mostly CPU, some Ram.

But this was an impressive performance boost. I loaded my save file from my previous build. And it used to lag non-stop. It's so smooth now. But just reporting this so others know that if Rimworld is basically your favourite game. Don't hesitate to get the most powerful processor you can afford. And I believe single core performance is key.

Single Core Performance is what you want to aim for when it comes to Rimworld. I think. Correct me if I am wrong. So in general Intel is better then AMD but it still comes down to the specific CPU.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Bozobub

For most games, single-core performance is the top metric ^^ .
Thanks, belgord!

Ukas

Quote from: viperwasp on April 04, 2022, 08:55:08 PM
Not sure if Ram Speed plays into it. But I will report that I'm currently running 64GB 3600Mhz C18. I know 32GB is more then enough for gaming. And Rimworld does not use a lot of Ram. You won't need more then 32GB for any games really. Unless you get into some Editing/Render type work too. But the 3600Mhz and C18 are the important aspects to take away here. If you don't know the graphics card is not that important for Rimworld. So I imagine it's mostly CPU, some Ram.

You're probably right. I have a 6 years old gaming laptop, with i7-7410HQ. In my colony there are 72 pawns, 11 dogs & 44 farm animals. Just today upgraded from 8 GB ram to 24 GB ram. Adding Ram will help some games, like I presume Bannerlord will be nicer esp. big battles, but in Rimworld I didn't expect to see a great difference. With this big colony there indeed is a slight improvement, this morning it was like continuous loop of 3 seconds normal running followed by a 0.5 second pause. Now it's more like 5 seconds normal, with a 0.3 second pause. But honestly, to play really smoothly I'd probably need a faster CPU.

RawCode

its extremely difficult to make software that use multiple cores in efficient manner

drjoms

2005 called, it asked its single core CPU's back.
18 years later, devs still don't know how to program multitasking programs.
Shame, Shame, Shame!
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/i?id=c0cf689891332c36cdc36b76ed04f7419972940b-9227633-images-thumbs&n=13
PCI-E 4 mobo, 64 gigs of RAM 3000, 16 real, 32 hyperthreading CPUs, SSD, still can't run game with a few hundred chickens on medium size map.