What's the deal with all the Galician?

Started by txurrasko, May 30, 2022, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txurrasko

I'm galician. We're from small region in the Iberian Peninsula. Roughly three million people live here, and countless others have emigrated to other countries. We're not really a very famous european minority, and our language is constantly overshadowed by Portuguese in 99% of the world, so it comes as a surprise to see so many galician words used in the autogenerated names, such as Breixo, MiƱoca, Embaixada, etc.

Is Tynan Silvester galician descended? Did a lot of galicians put their names in the game (iirc people who backed the game before it released could submit names, right?)? Is galician secretly popular in some niche circles? Been playing the game for a year and a half or so and watching it for over three years and every time one of these words comes up this question comes to my head.

I don't really know if anyone really has an answer lol but, you know, this is what internet forums are for.
feo, friqui e fracasado

Ukas

If I were to guess maybe there would be practical and aesthetic reasons. Part of the latter would be the fact that the Galicians have very distinctive and cool sounding names. Then, practically thinking they are a small minority, so, choosing Galician names isn't going to take many customers away from in the Name In Game -sales like choosing English names potentially could.

Murphy13

I think this question was raised before and the answer is, they needed exotic-sounding names for tribal people and landmarks of Rimworld, and picked a source on a whim. This list on Wikipedia appears to match almost exactly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Galician_words_of_Celtic_origin