Share your coolest starting location(s)

Started by stefanstr, August 21, 2014, 04:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

Hi everyone.

Now that there is world generation with seeds, it is possible to share worlds and landing sites with others. I thought it would be cool to have a place to let others know about unique/challenging/interesting/whatever landing sites so I am opening this thread.

To start off, I would like to share this landing site I have stumbled upon recently. It has a valley completely surrounded by mountains which makes for an extremely fun place to build your base in. Take a look directly left of where the colonists landed:

The seed for the world is "ludeon.com" (I like to use something meaningful for my seeds) and the starting location is 58.67 E, 21.69 N (or 165, 61 in debug coordinates).

Please share yours!

Calistyn

Well, I haven't found a favorite colony location just yet but I do have a favorite world. I'm not sure why it appeals to me so much, but all of my most recent colonies have been here.

Seed: destiny

stefanstr

Thanks for sharing Calistyn. What makes this world interesting is the number of landmasses. Most worlds I have seen so far have one big landmass. Your world has two bigger „continents“ and a number of islands. I like it.

Bendingunit3000

Seed "Boobies" has a coastal/mountain desert biome map in the south of the continent that is not bad for tunneling. Some of the geysers are a bit hard to utilize though.

Raufgar

You want challenging? Here ya go!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

naptha

Quote from: Raufgar on August 21, 2014, 10:20:14 PM
Annnnnnnd... Winner.  That is insane, hope you like eating mushrooms and MREs.

Lost Cause

OK that made me laugh XD.
I'd love a map like that though I know as soon as you start digging into that rock you'll hit a massive open space on the other side that extends to the other edges of the map.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Raufgar

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 22, 2014, 02:07:25 AM

I'd love a map like that though I know as soon as you start digging into that rock you'll hit a massive open space on the other side that extends to the other edges of the map.

Yup, sorry to burst the bubble, but once you dig through it will open up to rest of the map. Though in my case, it only showed me half the map, couldn't make it show more, so I had to report it to Ty. Did not find what the problem was though. Possibly a bad mod...

Lost Cause

Quote from: Raufgar on August 22, 2014, 02:26:38 AMYup, sorry to burst the bubble, but once you dig through it will open up to rest of the map. Though in my case, it only showed me half the map, couldn't make it show more, so I had to report it to Ty. Did not find what the problem was though. Possibly a bad mod...

I had a similar less extreme experience with a map. 3 quarters of it showed up as mountains and I immediately started planning the biggest, best, most epic base ever!!! Then I tunneled into a bit of rock and all of a sudden the mountain vanished and was replaced with a massive open area that stretched to other sides of the map.
There wasn't even enough rock for my colonists to hide under.
Kind of a heart breaking experience really :p
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Quasarrgames

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 22, 2014, 02:35:26 AM
Quote from: Raufgar on August 22, 2014, 02:26:38 AMYup, sorry to burst the bubble, but once you dig through it will open up to rest of the map. Though in my case, it only showed me half the map, couldn't make it show more, so I had to report it to Ty. Did not find what the problem was though. Possibly a bad mod...

I had a similar less extreme experience with a map. 3 quarters of it showed up as mountains and I immediately started planning the biggest, best, most epic base ever!!! Then I tunneled into a bit of rock and all of a sudden the mountain vanished and was replaced with a massive open area that stretched to other sides of the map.
There wasn't even enough rock for my colonists to hide under.
Kind of a heart breaking experience really :p

Happened to me too! :P
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Raufgar

Sadly, that save is borked, otherwise I'd try of mining one of the spurs of rock that were half in and half out of the FoW to see if it opens up more...

stefanstr

Quote from: Raufgar on August 27, 2014, 03:08:10 AM
Sadly, that save is borked, otherwise I'd try of mining one of the spurs of rock that were half in and half out of the FoW to see if it opens up more...

You can always open the save with the text editor to get the exact starting location.

Bodog999

Quote from: Raufgar on August 22, 2014, 02:26:38 AM
Quote from: Lost Cause on August 22, 2014, 02:07:25 AM

Yup, sorry to burst the bubble, but once you dig through it will open up to rest of the map. Though in my case, it only showed me half the map, couldn't make it show more, so I had to report it to Ty. Did not find what the problem was though. Possibly a bad mod...
Its not a bug just the map generation being silly :P

Spectre

Sorry for a newbie question but how do I actually load another person's seed? I tried to load the very first seed in this thread 'ludeon.com'. I'm probably doing it wrong, but I type ludeon.com into the seed name, created the world then tried to find the co-ordinates, which I couldn't do. Any advice?
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

stefanstr

Quote from: Spectre on September 26, 2014, 11:13:47 AM
Sorry for a newbie question but how do I actually load another person's seed? I tried to load the very first seed in this thread 'ludeon.com'. I'm probably doing it wrong, but I type ludeon.com into the seed name, created the world then tried to find the co-ordinates, which I couldn't do. Any advice?

Hey Spectre. When you start a new colony and get to the location selection, click on any tile. You will see its coordinates in the upper left of the screen. You need to navigate around until you find the right coordinates. If you want to see the debug coordinates, you need to switch on the developer mode in the game options.