[1.4.3525 64-bit] Vanilla - Chick dug through mountain to exit map

Started by Roid, October 23, 2022, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roid

1. What the circumstances were.
Some chicks hatched in my fridge, which is unlikely cause they had to be fertilized, and then survive the cold environment to hatch. These eggs may very well have been wild. My colonists just collected them. I guess one of them ducked out of the fridge when the door was open.

2. What happened.
A chick escaped my freezer and dug through a mountain to escape my base, and leave the map. I only realized they were escaping when I got a notification of "area revealed" I then watched it peck its way through solid rock in like an ingame hour.

3. What you expected to happen.
I expected the chick wander around aimlessly until it died or wandered off the map.

4. How to Reproduce.

I have very little info on that. I will post the save and screenshots in the thread for more info. The chicks belonged to another faction that had stopped by with some chickens, laid some eggs, my colonists grabbed them after they were fertilized. That is a loose theory on how it happened and how to reproduce it.

Canute

Not a bug.
All pawns (animals,friendly,enemy) are digging their way out if they can't find a pathing out.
This was added longtime ago, to prevent that you easiely can trap these pawn.
And pawn will leave the map if they can't survive at the map anymore.

Now we can discuss how a chicken can dig throuh the mountain, but Rimworld simpliefy that to all pawns. Not everything is realistic.

Ark

Yeah the chick digging through a mountain is very silly. It's basically meant to prevent "I'm building a wall around your pack muffalo and wait for it to go unconscious and drop all of its things." tactic.
What probably happened was that a trader from another faction with chickens visited and a chicken plopped down a fertilized egg, which then hatched into a chick belonging to the other faction.
For some reason that chick decided that it was trapped. Perhaps it couldn't path to the trader, which was probably off the map already. Trapped friendlies immediately start digging themselves out to exit the map.