Darker Nights

Started by vagineer1, August 22, 2014, 11:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

Think about it: Its cloudy, raining and it is night-time, yet you can see perfectly fine. I'm hoping future versions of Rimworld include darker nights so the game is more immersive.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Evul

i think darkness should have some negative modifiers to ^^

vagineer1

Quote from: Evul on August 22, 2014, 01:30:48 PM

One of them should obviously affect shooting accuracy. Outdoor lights would suddenly be useful (A research option to waterproof lights would be needed)
You see this tank?

Rahjital

Quote from: vagineer1 on August 22, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
Quote from: Evul on August 22, 2014, 01:30:48 PM

One of them should obviously affect shooting accuracy. Outdoor lights would suddenly be useful (A research option to waterproof lights would be needed)

This is already in the game :P You can see all the effects of shooting when you select a pawn and hover your mouse over another. If you do it at night or in dark areas, you'll see that darkness reduces accuracy significantly (I think by 40% or so).

Viceroy

Darker nights would be cool, maybe some hostile aliens creeping in it that you don't always know about...

Aliens like muffalo are aliens, just animals, but cool'uns, with clickety sounds and terror.
Dog goes moo!

StorymasterQ

I guess the OP is thinking more of actually darker for the player instead of the colonists. It's true that Pawns do have a darkness penalty when shooting into darkness (not the Star Trek movie) but the player could still see where the enemies are in said darkness.

So, it's more of a fog of war kind of thing.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

BetaSpectre

Fog of war eh?

Makes sense honestly.

However, it should work both ways.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

christhekiller

Nah. I like being able to see. This isn't a horror game or whatevs. And being able to see my colonists is a must.

vagineer1

Quote from: christhekiller on September 01, 2014, 08:25:22 AM
Nah. I like being able to see. This isn't a horror game or whatevs. And being able to see my colonists is a must.

I'm not asking for pitch black nights. Just night light levels that depend on the current weather. Cloudy nights will be darker than clear night. Cloudy and rainy nights will be a lot darker than cloudy nights. I just want a bit more realism in the nights.
You see this tank?

StorymasterQ

Are you thinking of the kind of gradient lighting during night and day in the tone of, say, Project Zomboid?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

daft73

My guess, correct me if I'm wrong...is that the OP wants to have a more noticeable change to the Light/Darkness cycle. Nights/storms are darker not black. Various mods for other games, ie Skyrim, Fallout NV, give the player this option. Having differing lighting effects for weather and such adds a sense of realism.

vagineer1

Quote from: daft73 on September 02, 2014, 11:50:44 AM
My guess, correct me if I'm wrong...is that the OP wants to have a more noticeable change to the Light/Darkness cycle. Nights/storms are darker not black. Various mods for other games, ie Skyrim, Fallout NV, give the player this option. Having differing lighting effects for weather and such adds a sense of realism.

Exactly. Right now the game at night seems rather light even though it is Cloudy/Cloudy & Raining. Most of what I want is a change to how weather affects lighting in the game.
You see this tank?

Mystic

Quote from: vagineer1 on August 22, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
Outdoor lights would suddenly be useful (A research option to waterproof lights would be needed)

I would like this addition a lot.  Being able to set up lights in my "killzones" to illuminate targets attacking at night, while my guys stay in the shadows.  Of course such lights could certainly be shot at and destroyed by the attackers, but it would still be of benefit.

ChrisW

I already setup my gate entrance that way. Dark corners with sandbags and turrets, lights next to the entrance. It works rather fine..
Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)

Terramorphus