Child Leaders for Ideologies

Started by Ilias, December 04, 2022, 04:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilias

I recently made a post on the steam forum more in askance as to whether this was an intentional aspect of the game, or a bug of some sort. I was suggested I make post towards the devs in further askance of whether this might be an oversight.

To explain a bit, I was playing a tribe start. Two of my colonists were adults, the other three children. This was fine, until... my two adults died in combat, leaving the three children to essentially fend for themselves. Again, this was fine. A hardship, but makes for a decent story. Now, the problem comes from my colony starting ideology being a republic, requiring multiple roles to be filled, including moral guide. Being unable to fill them, I am stuck with a -15 mood penalty across all colonists.

I figured, okay I'll just sort that out by making the children leaders, because while a horrid idea in practicality, it is still... reasonable. Especially when it's wanted, by them, and I mean, what child wouldn't be eager to have some form of leadership title? Issue is... You can't. In the social tab, if you click assign role on a child colonist, it will tell you "Cannot be child". Further, if you attempt the same via an actual ritual, it'll be grayed out without an adult colonist (Or with an adult colonist, it will say the child colonists have no roles available.)

Ultimately, this means I am stuck with a -15 penalty (-5,-5,-5 for each missing leader), that I cannot fix without RNG blessing me with more adult colonists, and even then that's a slow roll to sorting that out. In the meanwhile, I suffer through mood breaks as (it being the starting  phase of the colony, mood management is lacking).

I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or in bug reports, but seeing as it's a suggestion... I propose that children be allowed to take leadership roles/have their roles changed to leaders. While they'd be awful at the job, it'd be filled and you wouldn't be penalized for having only children in your colony more than you already are.

I considered this being from the reasoning that child = lack of coherence to lead. But then, children can be used as skillful combatants, farmers, and everything else... So why not be able to lead?

Would love to hear input from others, or if this is a bug after all and intended to be fixed in the future.

Barazen

Seems like an idea that deserves a bigger effort then simply being allowed.

Maybe add it as a concept for the ideoligion to enable child leaders? Ranging from forbidden, to a debuffs in adults being led by a child, to tolerated, or even considered ideal.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.