How can we affect which style an item is created with?

Started by clevider, January 05, 2023, 08:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clevider

With Biotech, I've started my first colony which values diversity of thought. My majority group prefers totemic style, but don't really care if it's missing. One of the minority groups wants techist surroundings. I produced one of their ideology-specific grand statues thinking that would help. When I checked the details, it says "Related to Sophian Philosophy" (their ideoligion) but it has a totemic style rather than techist. I don't see how that's possible. It was created by a pawn valuing totemic style, but should that matter? Earlier, I had a pawn valuing techist surroundings construct a column and that also came out totemic, so it isn't determined by the pawn's personal preference.  Am I doing something wrong, is it random (I really hope not considering the resources and work that go into grand statues), or can I only add alternative styles to their environment by laying carpet of the requisite type (hex flooring, in this case)?

Barazen

Pretty sure it is based on a pawns style preference, but I think whoever starts the work sets the style, perhaps hauling to counts as starting the work and a totemic presence was the hauler?
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

clevider

Thank you for replying and I apologize for getting back to this so late, but that doesn't seem to be it. I just had a pawn with a Techist ideology haul to and construct a stool, but still produced one with a totemic style.

A few other oddities I noticed: the hover text for the style preference on the ideology screen lists a number of items that appear to be irrelevant. For example, plant pots and shelves are in that list but don't have an associated style that I can find. Second, although my shelves lack a specified style, they do have a style dominance of 5. How does that work? Lastly, when I set a blueprint for the stool, it immediately gained a totemic style; that is, even before anyone had started hauling any resources to the spot (I went ahead and built it anyhow in case it was merely a colony-default style, but alas).

Barazen

Perhaps it's based on total style points overall? With totemic having higher total points? I know visitors and refugees make things in their style when they are visiting. Seems like some testing is required.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

LWM

I looked at the code, but it's complicated and I gave up before tracking down exactly where the decision is made. I think the style decision is made when you place the blueprint, based on your "official" colony ideoligion? But not 100% sure.

But I did discover there's a way to change the style of blueprints if you're playing in "Classic Mode" and ...it was easy enough for me to make a patch that lets you change the style for any Ideology play (...I've written a lot of Transpilers...)

https://github.com/lilwhitemouse/RimWorld-LWM.MinorChanges

So, there's an option for you :)

--LWM

clevider

If you're right, it's an odd design choice given that playing with diverse beliefs is supposed to be a supported play style.

Thank you for the patch. I've not used mods from outside Steam before, but I'll try to look into it this weekend. All of the tweaks you've included look sensible.

LWM