Should "invisibility" (Psycasting) lore be rewritten?

Started by DreamHollow, January 13, 2023, 02:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamHollow

Hey RimWorld folks,

I don't normally post to the official forums. I'm usually more active somewhere else like Reddit, but mostly just indulging in the colony showcases and so forth that the community has become known for over time. Regardless of all that, I did want to put something forth that I feel is worth talking about.

It's just a bit of lore that I feel like doesn't make sense in comparison to other abilities.

----

There's an ability in-game that is called "invisibility". I'm sure at least a few players have used it, but it is among the more rare types of abilities that a Psycaster can learn. I have no problems with the ability in terms of functionality, it's actually extremely useful for allowing Pawns to pull off stealthy maneuvers that might otherwise be impossible with plainly visible Pawns. However, the lore for the ability is a slightly nonsensical?

The literal description is "manipulate the visual centers of anyone nearby."

There are a couple of problems with that. For one, the ability can be cast on a Pawn far away from intended targets. You can cast Invisibility, have a Pawn wander a very long distance within about 15 seconds, and they will still be considered unseen by others. How in the world does that work? Does Invisibility create some kind of weird perception filter to ignore people that wander into their line of sight, sort of like Doctor Who and the TARDIS?

Furthermore, this piece of lore makes almost entirely no sense against the Mechanoids. While Mechanoids are vulnerable to some limited amount of Psy abilites, I feel like it's very silly that they wouldn't be able to use other advanced sensors (like hearing sensors) to notice Pawns that are using the ability. Maybe this could also go for regular human Pawns, but I'm focusing more on the machines ability to use advanced senses that people don't normally have.

I wanted to just put this suggestion out there in case anyone else might have been thinking the same thing. Maybe the lore is perfectly fine and I'm overreacting, but I would like to hear the community's thoughts on this.

Barazen

I chalk it up to mechanoids being biomechanical, yes they may have andvanced sensors, but the information they receive all get processed by the same biomechanical brain under the influence of the paycasts effects.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

SpaceCows

I think the bigger gap is that psychically deaf pawns are still affected by invisibility. If invisibility were an effect on other pawns not the target, psychically deaf pawns would see the target

Barazen

Quote from: SpaceCows on January 24, 2023, 01:29:40 PM
I think the bigger gap is that psychically deaf pawns are still affected by invisibility. If invisibility were an effect on other pawns not the target, psychically deaf pawns would see the target

Correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't make a pawn immune to psychic events or effects, just very resistant? Given that invisibility is such a high level paycast it may just be able to brute force it
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

RedPine

My headcannon is that "invisibility" is more of a "dimensional half-shift".  You can still get hit by AOE and environmental effects, but are completely impervious to melee, are nearly invisible for the purposes of bullets, and can't be targeted by hostiles.

It's  not complete invincibility, it's not complete invisibility, and it's not complete ethereality.  It's a half and half mix of them all.

----

An alternative headcannon is that it temporarily transports the target into a dimension that defies perception.