A question about Friday's changelog post for Tynan.

Started by Ramsis, August 22, 2014, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

"Aug 22
Started  work on a system to building things out of arbitrary materials and seeing the effects on the thing. Extensive work refactoring numbers like price, flammability, health, and beauty into stats which can be modified. Continued to expand and generalize the stats readout so it work with these stats as well and shows everything modifying them."

Okay so personally this says "you can make a stone wall with metal breaks that gives it higher ability to resist flames but loses out on health because of the metal." Am I grasping this concept in the wrong manner? Is this more meant for the future modding/making of RimWorld or is this the precursor to new buildings and what not in game?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tynan

It means you can make a silver bed, a stone wall, or a wooden stool and they'll have properties derived from the material they're made from.

You can't have more than one material in a single object (complexity overload, especially on the UI).

It won't make a massive difference initially but I'm hoping it'll open up a lot of avenues for future development (e.g. who thinks they can make an all-golden bedroom for their colony leader alter-ego? Anyone?) It'll also resolve some weirdness in the existing system, since now you can make beds out of metal or chairs out of stone blocks. Really, I just hope it will open up the creativity aspect of the game a bit more. It'll also tell stories better, e.g. your colony walls made out of cacti will feel more desert-y than most. Or perhaps you'll dig up or buy some special glitterworld building materials you can't make yourself and get to choose where you want your little indestructible wall bit.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on August 22, 2014, 02:14:23 PMOr perhaps you'll dig up or buy some special glitterworld building materials you can't make yourself and get to choose where you want your little indestructible wall bit.

Does this bit of what you said mean that we could possibly build heavily fortified fallout bunkers for when the raiders or mechs break through our defenses?
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Ramsis

I smell Fey moods in our eventual future boys and girls!

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Rahjital

Also known as Stuff systemtm by some. Time to build a palace of silver, gold and glitter for our colonial bureaucrats representants.

Quote from: Ramsis on August 22, 2014, 02:25:41 PM

Man, that dwarf has a really bad sunburn. Cave adaptation at its worst, I guess.

Roundsquare

Quote from: Tynan on August 22, 2014, 02:14:23 PM

You can't have more than one material in a single object (complexity overload, especially on the UI).

Will something like the current meal system be adaptable to make composite objects at specialized benches?

For example a piece of body armor could require both metal and leather.

Only “movable” items could be created this way (as far as I can tell)… and that may be a good thing.   

muffins

Quote from: Ramsis on August 22, 2014, 02:25:41 PM

Does it menace with spikes too? It's not a proper artefact if it doesn't menace with spikes!

lol

milon

I think that a mod could introduce certain pre-defined raw materials (ie. "silvanium" a highly valuable silver-uranium alloy) by defining a new raw material and making it accessible via a new crafting table that requires, say, x of each base raw material to produce x of the new raw material.  Is that feasible?

Tynan

Quote from: milon on August 23, 2014, 09:17:08 AM

I think that a mod could introduce certain pre-defined raw materials (ie. "silvanium" a highly valuable silver-uranium alloy) by defining a new raw material and making it accessible via a new crafting table that requires, say, x of each base raw material to produce x of the new raw material.  Is that feasible?

Yes, that would be trivial to implement. You would just need one recipe on the smelting table.

putsam

Does this mean I will never need to repair my colony walls again.

I can't wait to wall myself in with all the strawberries I have. I don't think there is anything more demoralizing then moldy strawberries.

Tynan

Quote from: putsam on August 23, 2014, 05:03:51 PM
Does this mean I will never need to repair my colony walls again.

I can't wait to wall myself in with all the strawberries I have. I don't think there is anything more demoralizing then moldy strawberries.

lol, it doesn't mean you can literally build anything out of anything.  Sorry :p

Col_Jessep

Ty, can you make bones a crafting material please? That skull throne needs to happen! xD

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

milon

And we need a use for those plentiful skeletons.  I hate burning things that can be put to use.  Bone crafting FTW!  (I bet tribals would LOVE to buy them!)

Shinzy

Quote from: milon on August 24, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
And we need a use for those plentiful skeletons.  I hate burning things that can be put to use.  Bone crafting FTW!  (I bet tribals would LOVE to buy them!)

"Raider jawbone! give big power! Purple Dinosaur of Angry Hopscotch Tribe will trade you for it! Ten potatoes and loincloth!"

I want Bone apparel =P
..I wouldn't mind skull throne either

Rahjital

Bone walls and furniture would be great, especially if they gave a negative thought to everyone nearby (except perhaps psychopaths). Nothing quite tells raiders "Abandon hope all ye who enter" like a wall assembled from an intricate pattern of human skeletal parts.

Apparel would be great too for those who care more about style than actual protection. :D