Please overhaul raids next. Please.

Started by Locklear, May 01, 2023, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locklear

Right now the late game raids are cheesy and difficult for the wrong reasons.

The game seems to scale raids by just throwing more at you. 80 Scythers, 120 tribals, 60 wolf manhunter pack, etc. The only way to defend against these raids is with a massive killbox or a mountain base. With the addition of sappers, even the killbox route is a risky one. Mountain bases are king, and flat map bases are a pipe dream.

If you want to make an authentic feeling village, I have one thing to say to you; lol gl

As raids get more difficult, the number of raiders should increase but not to anything outrageous. Once the numbers get to the extremes I mentioned above, the number should be cut way down and made up for by subbing in boss pawns that are extra tough. Or maybe even changing it to waves instead of all at once.

Instead of a 60 wolf manhunter pack, why not 2-4 manhunter thrumbos?
Instead of 100 tribals, why not 25 tribals and 2 chiefs that are extra tough.
Instead of 50 mercenaries, why not 10 mercs and a commander in a mech?

This would also improve performance. I have a pretty decent PC and can run any game on max settings. But late game Rimworld raids turn into a slideshow as it tries to render and keep track of 200 manhunter guinea pigs. I also believe that the game generating thousands of pawns over the course of the game and tracking their relationships just bloats the code and is a contributing factor in late-game performance issues. I tried the console version for ~200 hours and the late game is borderline unplayable because of this. Once that first massive raid comes in it's game over.

Also wealth should be looked at imo. A bunch of gold and jade statues is worth raiding someone for. 5 bedrooms with dressers and end tables is not.