Food and starvation-suicide IA

Started by metronom, August 31, 2014, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metronom

Since I lost many colonists like that (in initial colony phases), for example because they were going to haul something from the other part of the map WHILE being "hungry" state and came back almost in starvation state (with all other maluses which can come from a just-started colony), I was wondering if you can actually manually tell a colonist to eat, especially if he's an hauler/miner(/constructor), and if there's nothing like that yet, to implement such thing (or at least a better IA priority on feeding calculating, for example, the distance to travel on the next action/s and see if food is enough to not get past hungry state, just sayin). Ty for reading/replying.

Goo Poni

Open the overview and disallow them from doing their current job. If they're hauling, they'll drop whatever they're carrying and check their priorities again. It's not very direct, but it does work. Just temporarily remove all their possible jobs and all they can do is eat or sleep and if they have need of either, they'll resolve it quick.Then give them their jobs back and continue.

metronom

It does work indeed, but terribly slows down the initial work which is the most important at my eyes (using Cassandra storyteller )

bobucles

Then don't let your guys haul across the map! If you really need material THAT badly then you chose the wrong location for your base. Backed up against a mountain is great, and nearby geotherm points is ideal.

There are plenty of ways to use material close to where you find the resource. Build walls, solar panels, turrets or work stations closer to where you can find the goods. Don't keep all your stockpiles at one central spot, but instead place them frequently at many map locations.

Citizens do have issues with frequently picking jobs that are half way across the map. You'll just have to avoid the problem in other ways.

BetaSpectre

Make several "check points"
Basically a room with a paste dispenser and power.

Keep several of these around the map until you're ready to expand.

This way you'll never get starving colonists until you start to cook food.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO