Free stuff from visitors!

Started by muffins, August 24, 2014, 07:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muffins

This is probably an exploit, since you get free weapons and armour from visitors without making enemies of them.

I have a lot of rooms and areas in my current base - shooting range, storage rooms, etc - which I can block off with a single wall section. Visitors come and hang about in or around some room somewhere. I wall them in and they slowly starve and go insane. Once they're all dead or incapacitated I just loot all their gear, all without having to fire a shot or otherwise making the friendly faction hostile.

Not once do any of them think "Gosh I'm hungry. Maybe I should go break through that wall and get some food."

In A5 you could also get their weapons if they pathed through an area that was on fire (they would catch fire and in their panic would drop their weapons) though I've not tried that in A6 yet.

Any other ways of getting their gear without making them hostile? After all, the greedy buggers have to pay for all the food they help themselves to.

Col_Jessep

Lol, I love it! I think they should probably try to free themselves when they begin to starve but otherwise this needs to stay imo. However, if somebody escapes and gets back to his town...

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Pendryn

Yeah, this is a terrible exploit that should probably be fixed at some point. Give them an enrage timer.
Reticulating all the splines.

bobucles

The dorf fortress way to deal with this was to take stock of how their expedition left, and how they returned. If no one returns to tell the tale, then it's considered pretty bad.

In my games there are casualties for most friendly trips to town. If there's an enemy siege at the same time they're lucky to have any survivors.

REMworlder

QuoteYeah, this is a terrible exploit that should probably be fixed at some point. Give them an enrage timer.

That'd be great. Towns had a similar approach where, if a hero was trapped inside a settlement to prevent it from leaving, he'd turn hostile.

edit: alternately, it might be better to disable building if it would trap people. Even with people attacking walls I bet it'd still be easy to wall them in til starvation by just repairing and spamming said walls.

RemingtonRyder

Alternatively, you could keep them alive if you seal them in using a door from the Colonist Only Door mod, and set a one-square zone to drop meals on.

Why keep them alive?  Easy, so that when raiders break down the door they get facefuls of free bullets. :D

milon

Quote from: marvinkosh on August 25, 2014, 02:18:58 PM
Alternatively, you could keep them alive if you seal them in using a door from the Colonist Only Door mod, and set a one-square zone to drop meals on.

Why keep them alive?  Easy, so that when raiders break down the door they get facefuls of free bullets. :D

As long as you can keep them from mentally breaking before the raiders show up.  Otherwise, you've only wasted your food.  Someone should test this idea.  ;)

Shinzy

Quote from: milon on August 25, 2014, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: marvinkosh on August 25, 2014, 02:18:58 PM

As long as you can keep them from mentally breaking before the raiders show up.  Otherwise, you've only wasted your food.  Someone should test this idea.  ;)

You'd need like 18 dedicated cooks to keep the larger visitor groups fed =P
and it only takes one of them to flip out to start that downwards spiral of self destruction

Yaay!
it could be fun to test

BetaSpectre

Sleep is the thing that will trip up trapped visitors. They may or may not eat. Though even when insane they do still shoot at raiders and NOT at your colonists.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO