Tynan plays Rimworld

Started by EmmaWayne, August 25, 2014, 01:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmmaWayne

heyho :)

how much time you guys think, did tynan spent to play/enjoy his game?
and i mean ENJOY, without thinking about anything. sure... he cant play it without any thoughts about bugs or content
and he dont have much time only for enjouying his own game because we want more^^
but i think he spents hours and hours in it only for fun, thats why rimworld is awesome.

you cant produce a good game if you never played it by yourself.
look at the "big" guys: ElectronicArts... i think they never play her own products.
(ok they cant play it because its a bugparty and... time is money)

cheers
emmchen

ps. tynan, keep up the good work and have fun with your own epic game :)
i love it
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Shinzy

Just creating something of your own can be whole lot more fun than actually playing with it later =P

I somehow really doubt He's got the time to play the game as much as the rest of us
Or even to play it in the same manner we do! (He's probably breaking his own save files each time he fires the game up  ::) )
But i'm just guessing here!

But I'm positive he does enjoy the game I don't see why he would be even making it otherwise

Snownova

From personal experience I can tell you that playing a game you've made yourself is tricky. If you're not careful all you see if your own flaws or things you haven't added yet.

EmmaWayne

ok... agree with you guys :D
im not a game/mod maker but i see your point^^

i have games with hundrets of hours of "playtime" but i never "play" the game because of the big amound of mods. nah this sucks, next mod... naaahh next mod. ok this is fine, now i need a new mod.

and the only thing i do is pimping my game.
online time = 300 hours / playtime = 10 hours
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

HatesYourFace

I want screenies of Tynan's colony. He should do a "Let's play" video or something.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Tynan

Sadly, I don't have much time to sit and play RimWorld. Usually by the end of the day doing development work I'm so tired I can't play any game at all, actually.

I try to watch other people playing to get a feel for how it actually runs, though. I do think watching the game in motion is really important for a game designer, and I think the best way to do that is to watch other people play. When you play yourself, you're not really approaching it like a normal player would because you know so much and assume so much more.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

superpirson

I agree with Shinzy, creating something of your own and enjoying a game tend to be somewhat mutually exclusive, but that doesn't make creating the game any less fun!

in my experience, I kinda need to force myself to remember how fun the game is and turn off my mod to stop myself from thinking about my mod stuff (or maybe just my mod's balancing sucks? lol).
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

BetaSpectre

I'm surprised that Tynan doesn't play much himself. Though I do agree that having other testers makes sense. For example when prisons break the entire map will be considered part of the prison making all food socially improper. Socially improper doesn't alert me to why my colonists didn't eat.

Having a someone from the outside point this out allows for changes to happen.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

HatesYourFace

I imagine trying to play your own game is something like trying to tickle yourself. Sure you can do it, but it's not really the same, you can't ever surprise yourself.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Coenmcj

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 25, 2014, 08:00:11 PM
I imagine trying to play your own game is something like trying to tickle yourself. Sure you can do it, but it's not really the same, you can't ever surprise yourself.
That seems like the perfect analogy for the situation.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

_alphaBeta_

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 25, 2014, 08:00:11 PM

I'll probably never forget this analogy. Thanks. ;D

MajorFordson

Quote from: Tynan on August 25, 2014, 03:17:40 PM
I try to watch other people playing to get a feel for how it actually runs, though. I do think watching the game in motion is really important for a game designer, and I think the best way to do that is to watch other people play. When you play yourself, you're not really approaching it like a normal player would because you know so much and assume so much more.

IIRC Valve spend a LOT of time watching players playing their games, for the first time and getting their feedback. Happily I suppose this forums can provide a lot of that feedback.

stefanstr

Quote from: BetaSpectre on August 25, 2014, 05:30:41 PM
I'm surprised that Tynan doesn't play much himself. Though I do agree that having other testers makes sense. For example when prisons break the entire map will be considered part of the prison making all food socially improper. Socially improper doesn't alert me to why my colonists didn't eat.

Have you reported this as a bug?

Shinzy

Quote from: stefanstr on August 26, 2014, 03:41:48 AM
Quote from: BetaSpectre on August 25, 2014, 05:30:41 PM

Have you reported this as a bug?
It was an example, Tynan ofcourse wouldn't wonder what that line of text means cause he wrote it and knows exactly what causes it =P but other people might not have that sort of clarity on what the hell is going on!
it's been mulled over quite a bit in the past! should even be fixed in this alpha!

EmmaWayne

Quote from: Tynan on August 25, 2014, 03:17:40 PM
Sadly, I don't have much time to sit and play RimWorld. Usually by the end of the day doing development work I'm so tired I can't play any game at all, actually.

winner in every sense ;D (working hard, try to watch peoples gameplay)
thx for the anwser :)