Suggestion and Discussion Megathread

Started by Yarkista, September 21, 2013, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dejix

The right click just isn't enough for me. I need right click followed by o and then an m to get to mining without having to move my mouse... It's just such a drag sometimes to move the mouse.

FangoWolf

How about a small percentage chance of starting out in an abandoned colony. 

Perhaps a few autosave could stored in a different area and pulled up during the map generation.  If multiplayer ever was implemented, share the autosaves with the other players and you could start in another person's colony.

Cato1001

I didn't know if one of my ideas counted as an idea for the "cheap ideas" thread, but  I am posting on this thread anyways.
     I think that by killing the muffalo, you should be able to get some sort of fabric, because it is weird for carpets to be made out of metal (so the fabric would be another resource). They could also be used to make beds. Future add-ons like coats (if there is a cold biome where colonists need special clothing or something like that) might also require this fabric.
     I was also wondering how all the Youtube video posters got ahold of the game earlier than the pre-alpha.
     I also recommend adding in more researchable items because many of the Youtube videos I have seen quickly finished all the research perks very early in the game.

British

Hello, and welcome !

Quote from: Cato1001 on October 14, 2013, 11:55:07 PM
I think that by killing the muffalo, you should be able to get some sort of fabric, because it is weird for carpets to be made out of metal (so the fabric would be another resource). They could also be used to make beds. Future add-ons like coats (if there is a cold biome where colonists need special clothing or something like that) might also require this fabric.
That would be nice indeed.
I suppose the muffalo herds would then need to be repopulated somehow, kind of like raiders are managed right now (it may already be the case, but I am yet to hear about it).

I was also wondering how all the Youtube video posters got ahold of the game earlier than the pre-alpha.
A bunch of YouTubers were selected and supplied with the game so they can spread the word of RimWorld imbaness.

I also recommend adding in more researchable items because many of the Youtube videos I have seen quickly finished all the research perks very early in the game.
As you noted, the game is in pre-alpha, so it's more of a (well-refined) proof of concept than a finished product.
As such, most of the game mechanics (like Research) will evolve at some point.
You can discuss the Research System here.

Cato1001

Quote from: British on October 15, 2013, 07:08:12 AM
As you noted, the game is in pre-alpha, so it's more of a (well-refined) proof of concept than a finished product.
As such, most of the game mechanics (like Research) will evolve at some point.
You can discuss the Research System here.
I was just recommending that adding more researchable topics should be one of the priorities considering that even though research is a specific skill for colonists, the researching skill quickly becomes useless soon after the game begins.
It would also be interesting if you could discover new technologies from ,say, raiders or an injured person that lands and you convert to a colonist. They might have a book or something like that which can be used to find out about a researchable topic.
Also, the technologies may have to be discovered. For example, the gun turret cooling research could be discovered after 3 pirate raids and 6 turrets built.

British

Quote from: Cato1001 on October 15, 2013, 08:56:13 AM
I was just recommending that adding more researchable topics should be one of the priorities (...stuff...)
Sure, and I just provided a link to a thread dedicated to discussing about research, so that you can, well... discuss about it there instead of here...

Hawkido

I know that ramping the game in to a more full fledged product is first on the list before fleshing out new territories in the game but here are some ideas to think about or throw out in the mean time:

Suggestion for the Gameplay Directors, assuming that there will be an end goal (or multiple ways to be considered successful in completing the game ala FTL defeat the Rebel Flagship):
Make a director the can sense how hard or fast you press to victory condition, not so much your progress but the rate at which you make progress, and throw more stumbling blocks your way to slow you down. Maybe "Lucy Longhaul" as a name for her. It will force the colony to focus more on survival and perseverance, so it can endure the natural events that will just happen, but if you start pushing too hard or fast for "building a ship to escape" or what ever the victory condition will be then more bad stuff will happen. this will force the player to take a more marathon approach to keep "Lucy" from crushing you much like a non-Newtonian fluid increases resistance at a rate greater than the increase of speed of an impacting object. Okay, wow, that sentence sucks, but I hope you understand. The more the player tries to rush to the end the more brutal the game becomes... and the slower and more methodical and robust the player plays the more relaxed the director is. This will help satisfy those who might say the game is too short once a victory condition is in place.

Potential victory conditions:
-purchase a starship
-Build a star ship
-actually colonize the planet by attracting X# NPCs to live in your colony.
-Become so greatly feared as a pirate raider that you hijack a ship and take your piracy to the stars.
-Become a Respected trading post/hotel stopover for passing NPC ships
-Become the hive of scum and villainy replete with Bars and Brothels.
-Become a prison planet where other worlds prisoners are stored and "Cared-for" *COUGH**COUGH*

Cato1001

I saw that on the kickstarter one of the modules was asking if there should be an end-game. I was thinking that the actual player should be able to decide that. Maybe there could be an "End-Game Eric" storyteller where there is an end-game or maybe a choice on the menu screen for a version with an end-game.

I was also wondering for the backers in kickstarter that will get the pre alpha version, what form will the game come in: a disc, a digital copy, etc.?

British

Quote from: Cato1001 on October 17, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
I saw that on the kickstarter one of the modules was asking if there should be an end-game. I was thinking that the actual player should be able to decide that. Maybe there could be an "End-Game Eric" storyteller where there is an end-game or maybe a choice on the menu screen for a version with an end-game.
While it's appreciated that you don't indulge in creating a thread for every question you have, it's probably better if you search for that question prior to posting.
You'd most likely had found about that specific thread in which end-game is discussed.

Quote from: Cato1001 on October 17, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
I was also wondering for the backers in kickstarter that will get the pre alpha version, what form will the game come in: a disc, a digital copy, etc.?
The best way to find information about KickStarter is to actually read the KickStarter page...
Here what can be found on the third sentence of the project (very hard to find indeed):
"For Windows, Mac, Linux. The game will be distributed by DRM-free download and backers will also get Steam keys."

gigan

I would love an option to build characters as well as randomly generate them.   I find I spend so much time clicking generate hoping for results I want.

Voltronguy

Custom stockpile zones, and dumpsite zones. Custom sizes, etc.

Cybourg

This might be already be planned for RimWorld, but here is it anyway.

1. I was wondering would it be possible to add an option to make a Job templates, so that when you get a new colonist, it is easier to assign jobs. The people with the same jobs are grouped together in the overview (maybe by a coloured border). With this you can then subdivide them to work in different areas. With this grouping, you can make a group work on a specific area, rather than assigning them one by one.

2. To be able to assign colonists to take direct control of an automated machine (e.g: Turrets, cameras). The machine they are controlling will be enhanced slightly; for example if you control a turret, you can manually target enemies and maybe the accuracy is slightly increased. I think this controlling could be done through a control panel, and would be connected to the machine they are controlling by a special wire (Fibre cable?).

DeltaV

Two completely random ideas that I didn't think warranted their own thread and weren't really specific enough to warrant even being in the cheap ideas thread:

1. From what I've seen, hydroponics is REALLY overpowered, basically an infinite source of money and food. Instead, it should just be a way of growing food slightly faster and without the proper terrain, whereas right now you could probably do just fine setting up a research table quickly and going straight for hydroponics without any normal farms.

2. There should be more traps and ways to incapacitate enemies. Landmines, stun guns, etc.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

z4g5r

I feel a strong need of an ability to move stuff around - like beds, accumulators, turrets using one unit, solar batteries and research facilities with maybe 2-3 settlers united.
Also to dismount buildings restoring the matherials wasted to construct them - the only way I see now is to blow that up.. Not too pretty?

AnarchOi

A quick suggestion... What about some sort of radar that can be built that would notify the player when someone will be entering our "map" but wont be specific to wether it is a hostile group or just someone passing by, possibly be upgradeable to reveal more details (estimate size of group, carrying weapons, and maybe hostile or friendly)

Also the comm station could benefit from this as well for example we can build the comm station without the radar but we wont know if its traders trying to contact you or raiders, that way there will be some risk when opening up communications.