Suggestion and Discussion Megathread

Started by Yarkista, September 21, 2013, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darthaidan

I have an Idea I'm not sure needs its own thread. Later in the future of building I think their should be a you story teller. It would be like a sandbox god mode. There could even be an AI to play the colonists and you cause events to happen. This could be multi-player or just done with AI but it would be neat.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Darthaidan on November 06, 2013, 01:52:11 PM
I have an Idea I'm not sure needs its own thread. Later in the future of building I think their should be a you story teller. It would be like a sandbox god mode. There could even be an AI to play the colonists and you cause events to happen. This could be multi-player or just done with AI but it would be neat.

I'm liking this idea a lot actually, it would take a lot more work than a standard Storyteller as it would be more of a new mode than anything else.

Also THANK YOU so much for hesitating in making your own thread. At the moment we have far too many people doing exactly that without using the search function. This suggestion can be expanded upon Here.

Kharn

Couple storytelling ideas came up while rewatching Firefly/Serenity again.

Risk Reward Scenarios:

Refugees land seeking shetler from the Government.  Some can be wounded and needing medical treatment/care.  There would be a risk in helping them, but also a reward for successfully doing so.  A detective could come by and want access to your base/colony.  Are you going to give them up for a quick reward? Or hold out for a much better one at the risk of having the Government call in reinformence to take you down.  You could vary up the amount of refugees coming and how wanted they are for degrees of difficulty.

Crazy Colonists:

If the end game is to escape the planet you could have one or more colonist working against you as spies or as people who get into disagreements with other colonist.  Cause some to steal important items from the ship; like the navigation computer, or exotic fuel.  Or even the Ship itself before you go!

Zombies, always with the Zombies!

Have too many graves?  Is it a full eclipse?  Is it a Thunderstorm?  Zombies!!  Hard to kill slow moving, brain eating Zombies.

And of course all the usually stuff people have mentioned.  Like other colony factions, spies, virus outbreak, cabin fever madness, no hope all is lost colonist, thief.

Also be nice if the Raiders would attack other targets that would have to be placed outside/away from the base.  Also, if spome Raiders would a alternative route into your base while other Raiders protect their mining. Not sure how easy that would be to impliment but i would think it would help a lot to protect against exploitation.

Mask

having played the pre-alpha for a fair bit i have come up with some ideas for the game. Some have been said before and i think some have not. hope some of them are useful. (sorry for any bad spellings)

1.Different planets to land on that have different problems.
Snow planet were you need to keep warm. Forest planet that has lots of dangerous wild life. Plains planet were you suffer raids more often.

2.The ability to get rid of the boulders.
One time i had cleared out the area around my settlement and had six dumping areas of boulders. Some way to get rid of them would be good or the ability to place them in certain areas so you can use them like sand bags.   

3.The ability to wall in an area of open space and bigger doors. (like a castle court yard)
So you can have your fields and panels safe from raids.

4.Proper warehouses that have a max storage capacity.
I'm finding the current system of storage a bit wired. At one point I had 5000 food and 2000 metal stored in a small space in the open air. I think having to build warehouses to store stuff would make the game more interesting.

5.More materials to gather.

6.Research items falling from space.
Like a robot that auto picks plants but you have to hope that it will land on your planet so you can retrieve it and research how to make your own.

7.Recreational things for settlers to do.
The ability to play ball games if there is nothing for them to do. this could be used to increase happiness.

8.Stop some settlers from going to some places in your settlement.
I was trying to create a slave section of my settlement and think that it would be interesting if you could make it so that some people would not go in to other areas.

9.Guard areas.
Designate areas ware settlers will go and stand and watch for trouble

10.Alarm.
An alarm that you can sound that will make some settlers run out to guard areas and others run to a safe location in the settlement.

11.Random raider behavior.
Like they will just show up fire a couple of shots and then leave. Set fire to your crops . Attempt to capture your settlers to make slaves. Steal stuff. 

12.Quick select settlers.
right now i am having a hard time finding specific settlers when i need then to do some thing and a drop down menu with all there names and any weapons they are carrying is displayed.

13.Settlers stats combined with the overview menu.
a way to see the settlers stats and the job priority view at the same time would make setting the priority of jobs easier. Could be combined with settler Quick select.

14.Random settler actions and conditions.
Two settlers wont get along and will argue with each other. Getting to old to work and so you just have to care for them or get rid of them. suffering accidents as they do they job and getting injured. pregnancy and children. diseases.

vx714

I second the request for custom keybind/input binding.  Being able to define my own keys to select "Build wall" or "Mine" or "Sell" or "Cancel" would save me a lot of time.

I'd also like to be able to scroll the map with SHIFT-RightMouseButton rather than depressing the mousewheel.

Carrett

Ok I have suggestions maybe two or three...or six

1. when the animals go crazy the sentry guns do nothing. so i think there could be a mode for them to switch from raiders to animals. or guns that just shot animals

2. electric fence for animals. if you dont want them in an area putt a electric fence around the area. it wouldnt hurt them just keep them from it.

3. add a guard priority. something like you can block out a path for guards to protrol and they will follow it and if raider gets close they defend themselves.

4. A.I. self defense. as of right now (v0.250) when the colonist get attacked they do not defend themselves. they could just auto attack what ever it is that is attacking them.

5. just a thought, there could be some kind of family system where some get together and have kids then the kids get older after some time. then you can use them to

6.Hospital building or something they can go to heal themselves.

these are just some stuff iv been thinking about when I play.

Bizz Keryear

After playing the game for a while now (continuously)  I am giving now my 5 cent.

• Gameplay / Ending of the game: I think beating the game by creating a spaceship is ridiculous, since spaceships showing up a all the time and you have quite an exchange material  with them. Its unthinkable that there is no one who is willing to give (at least the three starters) a lift.
    You mentioned that they aren't professional settler but people who have crashed there.
    I think you are wrong.

• Settlers are all normal people.
    • And being a "professional" settler doesn't mean you are "Minecraft" capable. Mankind living style where always about sharing work. They are professionals since they are all experts (more or less) of their own.
    • And settling somewhere else ... Well if I use 1pt script the list would be still longer than my arm, why people might run from their previous life and settle somewhere else. Like: (short list)

• The stalker from the Neighborhood.
      • A really real bad breakup with the ex.
      • Innocent accused of a crime.
      • Being poor. / Having no future.
      • Committed a crime.
      • Being a Political refuge.
      • Seeking an adventure.
      and many many many more.
    That doesn't change the fact that this settling isn't exactly going as planned. I mean they are crashed, low on resources, equipment and personal. And so on. (Scenario like earth two *1))
  • On the final game I'd like to see:

• much bigger maps (requires a quite amount of optimization, though). Raiders after a failed attack or others might be founding a colony of their own. Other colonies might be friendly (trading and other friendly interactions) or hostile (frequent attacks, might shoot your people on sight  if they wander off to close). There is a lot in there storrytelling wise, since stories are all about interaction.
      Example: One person runs off from a friendly colony, and you have to decide to give him refugee, but if you do the friendly one becomes hostile.
      Or hostile "biomes" .. like harsh environments that might get your settlers sick if they stay, or large (or small  ... don't underestimate parasites) predators.
    • Something I have forgotten while writing...
  • Things I like to see soon:

• Better AI for bigger groups and maps: It has to consider how long will it take to do things and how long it will take to get there.
      Also in Bigger map support: Assigning someone to a bed manually (If you create a [temporary] outpost on a 250 tiles map you might not want to have your settlers wander across the whole map every day.)
    • (Extension to above) Assigning settlers to a home-zone: Idle settlers don't wander off the whole map, but stay in the home zone. In their home zone if you define more than one and assign them to one.
    • More zones: (might be needed a change of home zone behavior then)

• Firefighting zone: Fight fires in those zones to e.g. to prevent you turrets go offline. Or disconnecting your external power plant.
      • Cleaning Zones: Only clean in that area not in the whole homezone.
        OR priorize clean zones: Clean in lower zones only if higher ones are clean. e.g. to keep the houses cleaner than the rest of the base, but still try to keep the base clean as whole.
        One time clean up zones:.. once it is cleaned it will remove itself
        Since my where complaining about their way to their current work (hideous evironent) I decided to make it a home zone that it will be cleaned up. But if requires constant checking if they are done with it or not.
      • Patrols / Guarding zones: Sooner or later you might end up with colonists which are good fighters and nothing else (e.g. assassins) rather than Idle they are more on standby for fighting action. So it would be nice if you could assign them the task guard (or to others, too ... ) and if they aren't busy with something else (task with higher priority or eating/sleeping) they patrol (assuming they are assigned to that line) along a line and come running to help settlers which are attacked
        or guarding at guarding zones. ... That is cause if raiders have landed you can often predict from where they will be coming and then you could guard the place. Guards will wander around in that zone and shoot threats if they come in range (edge of the zone + gun range) but they will eat an go to sleep if needed.
      • I think I had one more ideas which I have forgotten while writing the rest.
    • Better behavior of E-charge: Once (solar eclipse, low on batteries, and not enough geothermals to support the base) I turned off most lights and all doors. It took about a (game) day (after the batteries where recharged, I manually turned on the lights) until the lights went back on. I mean it takes two or three (RL) seconds between each light to turn on.
    • Windows / Glass walls: Same as walls but letting in daylight. Maybe less sturdy (less HP)
    • Walls without power lines: or the ability of lamps to check which wall is actually powered.
      I hate when lamps could hook into a powered wall but instead the hook into an unpowered pillar, just because its a little closer.
    • Fences / Walls which aren't building a roof: Keep the pests out of your crops but still be able to use sunlight.
    • Self preservation: Run away from thrown explosives, especially friendly fire and bombs which fuses are lit ... I lost quite some because of that (They had the brilliant idea to come close to my blasting area after I lit the fuse .. and they stayed there. Or run into the frag grenades thrown by my soldiers). ... Run away if wounded to heavy. And so on.
    • Faces / colors for the Storryteller AIs. To keep the better apart.
    • When building: Showing how much roof is supported, same for deconstruction: A warning (maybe color the wall, like the wires in wire build mode) if you are about to remove parts that might lead to structure collapse. E.g.: Walls will turn red if they are the last one which supports (a part) of the roof.
      Same for mining if you mark places for mining the time wise last one which is supporting the roof is marked red and if you unmark it (not mined) it stays stable.
    • Ability to destroy floor tiles: If I accidentally covered up some soil, or it had happened while my colony was growing, I'd like to undo that later to e.g. get access to the soil again and e.g. grow crops there.
  • More realistic energy consumption: I mean 50 watts average consumption for a door?  How heavy are those? Are they some real huge 30 m high and 10 m wide gates? A safe door? To open and close a normal ... even a more sturdy door a 2 or 3 watt motor is more than enough, and no consumption when its idle either. And lamps ... 150w for a normal lamp? Its the fricking future! I have LED floodlights which brightens up a room with 10w! (much brighter than 10w ESL). I mean if you are depending on solar power and batteries you wouldn't hook in light-bulbs from 1901 to brighten up the place.
  • When assigning someone to a task, he/she should finish it unless they are severe wounded, starving or going to break down mentally. (I hate to assign one task 5 /6 times to the same person, cause it tries to wander off all the time)
    It also should overwrite any existing automatic ones. (Sometimes I can't assign someone to a task cause the game already has ... or that's a bug).
    A assigning queue would be also nice. When doing so that person will do the 1st in the row like mentioned above and rest in "normal" behavior but before doing any other tasks (besides from keeping him/herself healthy). ... That would need an implementation to see what tasks a person is manually assigned to and the possibility to delete it whole or some of it
  • If wounded and the workload is low (if the task can be completed easy with other people or especially if the person in question would be idle otherwise) they should be stay in bed longer or (if idle) totally to heal up.
  • The realistic ability for settlers to wander off and harvest and eat the harvested ones rather than starving.
    Also turn dead animals into food if they aren't dead too long. (Generally not only in dire straits)
    You would be astonished what people start to eat if they are about to starve (e.g. my grandmother told me that some where eating wallpapers [off the wall] and such after the war ... ) So the behavior to starve to death just cause the dispenser isn't working while food is all around (just waiting to be harvested) is rather unrealistic.
  • If raiders have landed sometimes I wish I could send my fighters to bed (they would eat then and then go to bed) so that they will be fresh for the fight.
    It happens once that they just got up after the "raider landed" message, stayed up all along and went to bed just after the "Attack has started" message
  • More information on settlers on a overview.
  • Selecting a settler should actually select the settler not just jump to it. Sometimes I even don't want to go to him/her just select it to assign a task where I am looking right now. Maybe with a right click?
  • Information of the weapons you have... anytime not only if you are able to sell them.
  • Keep Messages tracking the event: Location and remove them if they have passed. Also the option to keep or delete them after reading / jumping there.
  • Unbuild structures rather than just magically sell them: This would also mean removing the roof before it collapses. But since its reverse building it will take time.
  • more stuff I actually have forgot while writing

One suggestion to the forum: I know the coloring is quite stylish and such, but gray on gray isn't the best readable solution, even its its almost white gray on almost black gray. Please stay to white on black or black on white. Thanks.

All lists are unsorted, they are just as the popped up in my mind.
Things I have forgotten might be added in several edits.
*1)=To the "against will" scenario I recommend to get some inspirations from 7 Seeds
Actually there are two groups in there which are there against will. In the story line you meet 1st a group which is waking up in a strange world after going to bed normally. The second (lot later in the story) where "breeded" to be survivors, but in the training process they have all gotten a mental illness aka they went nuts.

Smeedijzer

Cheap:
•   Selling/buying weapons (ui)
Make sell and buy buttons different color, or separate tabs
ATM it’s easy to missclick while scrolling though the list
•   Hunting wild life (gameplay)
Make Muffalo’s drop steaks which taste alot better than nutrient paste 
If Muffelo’s don’t breed yet, let them do it slowly so we have to control their population
•   Research required for items and slower/tree research progress (gameplay)
Few of our basic starter items already contain multiple tiers and could be partially unlockable. Geothermal generator feels more advanced compared to solar. Batteries are optional at start. Multiple kinds of beds/tables aren’t required. And we could research communications before being able to build the comm-post and trade. A tree would force us to make harder choices and focus on one part of the colony management

Major:
•   New life (event)
Our colonists never agreed to celibacy. Throw in a small chance to get some offspring. Keep em in bed and let us take care of them for a few weeks …
•   Cave collapse/earthquake (event)
A collapsed cave or tunnel could lead to a few trapped/wounded/dead colonist. Rock debris falls down next to mountain borders while the aftershocks make big group of boomrats spawn, running straight into populated areas attacking everything standing in their way.
•   Launch pods (research/craft)
I found it strange how we can insta sell our resources and weapons, but see deliveries being dropped off. Let us research pods which we need to (pre)build, load with our sold items and launch into the sky when trading. Bought items/money transfers will only be final after the launch when items are sold. (optional) Maybe slave traders are less trustworthy and have a small chance to fly off without making their drops after the launch pods went up?
•   Multiple ore types, needed for advanced crafting (gameplay)
•   Make hard mode scale over time (events)
Multiple raider groups at once, better equipped raiders or bigger numbers
Maybe raiders wait till a solar flare hits the defenses … the brilliant scumbags.
Or mini-bosses with buffed armor/speed/shooting skills
•   Sand storm (event)
Unsafe to go outside, all our colonists have to sit out the storm in their caves/homes without any communication. Sand, debris and forgotten outside resources fly around while stranded pirates run for the nearest shelter.
•   Leader challenged (event)
When loyalty hits rock bottom, the lesser loyal wander off in group and follow their new chosen one to start their own colony. If the final game won’t support +20 colonists, such events could be a way to make it still a fun lock …

Bob Buddha

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2013, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: British on September 21, 2013, 07:46:57 PM
I have one suggestion, but it's not for the game itself, rather the very site we are on...
There's a blog, but it may not get that much interaction (aka verrrry few comments on the entries).
I know I tend to lurk forums, but rarely what's around them, so is there any chance to have the blog entries tied to the forum ?
That means that you write your entries in the blog, but they "lead" to the forum (you might as well create a new category for that): people that want to add a comment to the blog are directed to the corresponding forum post, and (more interesting, from my PoV) people that stay in the forum can see the new entries and react to them.
That might not be crystal-clear, but hopefully you see what I mean.
That's a good idea! You're right, the blog comments should just be forum threads. It would also help grow the community, I think. I need to look into how to set that up.

I think the better idea would be to expand upon the wiki and the Upcoming Features section.   
There are lots of creative people out there who are writing some elaborate posts.  I think we can agree that the forum paradigm is a poor way to manage complex and often overlapping or evolving ideas.

I would stop short of letting anyone and everyone create and edit pages but the framework is there in MediaWiki for community discussion, group moderation, editing/revising/expanding, etc.. There are also extensions for polling and voting, etc.
I.E. Tynan can take posts that he likes here and give them privileges and base pages on the wiki.  He can also delegate management of subpages, etc.

murhe

At first I must say that I really love Rimworld! I like games like this one and UI is very good one, nothing too complicated. Running bigger colony should be easy like it is now. Then I have few ideas I want to throw in:

Storage
- Storage area is bit of rude element. I would like to see broken and crashed segment of spaceship to work as storage area. It should be disassemblable for metal.
- There should be limited amount of room for metal and food. I would like to idea of small energy output. Lets say there is reactor that is used for cooling and more food you got less it produces.
- Raiders will look after storages! They are not here just for killing people (but nothing against it if needed). When they got at storage, they will fill pockets and start falling back. If you cannot fight back, you can just let them take what they can carry and hope they won't come back again.

Storaging food
- Food needs to be storaged in cool. After you have used capasity of storage you should need to build more cool storage for food. There could be locker sized freezers for that. Without elecrity you should start to loose food!!! No spoiling mechanic, just decreasing food according how much is in danger to spoil.
- Food paste machine should be able to hold some amount of prosessed food.

Plants
- There should be diffrent kinds of plants for food with difference in growing speed, food productivity, care they need and survivality. Any mishappen should not destroy whole crop, just certain amount of plants in field according survivality, there might be diffrent rates against diffrent mishappens like: animals, weather, disease...
- Natural plants should be used also as a food, but that might need research. I don't expect them to be worth of farming, but another source of nourishment in case of need.
- Btw, seeds need to be bought if you wan't access new plants. Whole field is for one plant and might be changed for next planting.

Food processing
- Cooking skill presumes there will be diffrent ways to process food in future. I would like to see difference between raw food, food paste and cooked meals.
- Diffrent plants or meat should give diffrent amount of food in storage. Storage should be kept abstract and way of cooking should make the difference in quality.
- Chew would make dinners ready in fridge of kitchen and when they run out, rest of crew should use food paste. When kitchen's fridge is full chew looks something else to do.

Predatory animals
- There should be diffrent sized predatory animals like medium (dog sized) pack hunters, big (tiger or lion sized) and very rare huge (T-rex, anyone?).
- I would like like to see them to hunt animals and lone characters wandering too far from home. Only huge one should be dangerous to colony itself and they should mostly try to escape if shot at (unless they are gone mad)
- Unburied corpses of people or animals attract predators. More corpses, more and bigger predators. Some of them might use corpses as a food witch could be unpleasing sight.
- As a hunters need food, they won't stay long unless there is food for them. So mostly they should come and go.

Tech levels
- Player should not be able to research and access all tech immediately. There should be certain things you need to accomplish first. That means you might need to study, build and/or buy things before getting hi-tech stuff.
- Crude defence would be man operating turrets. After you build workshop you could upgrade them armored, then automatised, cooled, etc.
- Better communications would access ships farther away, say more often. You just need bigger antennas. Language translator could help to talk with alien traders, etc.
- Just few ideas to work with.

Random stuff
- Fences to stop movement, not shooting. Normal, spiked and electriced.
- windows at walls for shooting out. Extra cover.

Toxicman

I only got the game a few days ago but I played it during all of my spare time and at one playthrough got like 2 months or so before raiders came in like a zerg ball and killed me off :P my only thought during that whole playthrough was drones/robots/mechs.. something mechanised that can do menial tasks like clean/haul/cut plants etc. During a raid they could get your colonists to safety instead of pulling another colonist from the line and risk losing both as one tries to save the other. Now the way to build/acquire these bots would be buying random parts from traders and eventually assembling one, buying a complete one from the industrial trader and then when you have a working model study it and be able to research it so you can build it yourself. To not make them overpowered, make them hard to assemble.

Also something either the bots or a colonist could do is slave labor. If you get an assassin who is pretty much useless unless time of raid at this moment, have him/her overwatch a group of slaves doing a certain job like cleaning, mining or hauling.

Not sure if any of these ideas are cheap or not so i posted in this :/ the drones shouldnt be that expensive as they just need a new skin and some limitations from the regural colonist but again I've no idea in how these things work really. Hope this helped in some way! Loving this game so far btw <3

harpo99999

a couple of small suggestions( but probably not so easy to program) for the trade window

(1) to allow typing in of trade quantities as well as the drag to alter quantities,

(2) speed of adjustment of quantity relates to mouse movement distance  ie move a small distance outside the trade window get slow increase rate, move to the edge of the game window, get fast (perhaps x10) increase rate

reason for suggestions when trading hundreds/thousands of resources it gets very boring to keep holding the mouse button down off screen and still only go up by one unit per tick

Necronomocoins

Robots/drones. A jungle of research seeds leading to lots of research trees. Low tech (tribal?) raiders with excellent melee, thrown/melee weapons like spears, tomahawk that can be used close or at range or boomerang. Mind control aliens/chameleon aliens, hydrochloric acid for blood aliens, bosses, maybe a boss leader of tribes with mind control turning one of the colonists into a raider instantly, could be captured if incapacitated but could cause havoc from the prison if (chance?) when fully healed or possibly eventually help the colony. raiders or rampant native animals with an accompanying boss, tribes that can set up camp overnight. Space marine pods containing research seeds (valuable) with raiders that can set up (build) defensive zones around the pod and defend them. the reason for so many raiders is they took control of a cloning facility in orbit, eventually (after much research, lots of metal, building many rocket parts and some putting food in storage on rocket for the journey, a bit like Starship Architect.) being able to build a crude rocket that can dock with the facility in orbit or accidently dock with space marine pod (random chance stuff) and raid it, being careful not to damage walls in orbit or decompression and sucked out into space etc., taking valuable new items/item types/clones and/or resources (space suit/combat armour?) back to surface if successful. intact ship rooms that crash land, radioactive/toxic areas that cause damage to colonists over time if not treated. Multiplayer with multiple randomly generated maps interconnected, you start a multiplayer game and your comp randomly generates a map (as usual) but places you in a grid of online maps, with the ability to move off the edge of your map onto someone else's, maybe try to trade with them or take stuff by force or whatever. Limited range (especially in fog) line of sight, closed circuit television, television screens, a flamethrower! Ammo! not suggesting you implement ALL of these ideas, thought I'd put them all in one post, I'll have more ideas tomorrow. LOL Integrate this game's, EVERYTHING with Activision's "Battlezone" graphics and interface and it would be a top seller IMO. Ageing, I think a colonist should not survive longer than 365,000 days under any circumstances and should be too weak to do anything for when they get too old, some colonists that like to share a room with one person of the opposite sex, could result in having to build a nursery and eventually get a new colonist. The ability to haul light furniture, maybe heavier stuff with help.

Quote from: harpo99999 on November 26, 2013, 04:53:34 AM

a couple of small suggestions( but probably not so easy to program) for the trade window

(1) to allow typing in of trade quantities as well as the drag to alter quantities,

(2) speed of adjustment of quantity relates to mouse movement distance  ie move a small distance outside the trade window get slow increase rate, move to the edge of the game window, get fast (perhaps x10) increase rate

reason for suggestions when trading hundreds/thousands of resources it gets very boring to keep holding the mouse button down off screen and still only go up by one unit per tick

I manage to get large quantities quickly by grabbing and dragging, grabbing at the middle again drag to the edge again again, going up at about 150-250 in a second or two.

harpo99999

I have used the double grab & drag a few times for smaller quantities like 200-400, BUT when I want to sell 2000-2500 food to a combat or industrial supplier to clean them out of all their stock, it STILL takes about 3 minutes to get to the approx area of quantity ( and in the games where this is an issue I usually have a food stockpile for 20,000 or MORE food)

Necronomocoins

Vehicles: Manned/unmanned armed/unarmed and armoured/unarmoured, maybe a drill tank that can move through rock, destroying it in the process.
Quote from: harpo99999 on November 29, 2013, 04:15:07 AM
I have used the double grab & drag a few times for smaller quantities like 200-400, BUT when I want to sell 2000-2500 food to a combat or industrial supplier to clean them out of all their stock, it STILL takes about 3 minutes to get to the approx area of quantity ( and in the games where this is an issue I usually have a food stockpile for 20,000 or MORE food)
Good point, typing in the exact amount you want would be easier and faster to get a more precise quantity.