Suggestion and Discussion Megathread

Started by Yarkista, September 21, 2013, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarkista

Think you have a good suggestion for the game or the website but it doesn't require its own thread? Put it right in this thread!

Hopefully this will block a spamming of suggestions if/when the community expands.

~Yark

British

I have one suggestion, but it's not for the game itself, rather the very site we are on...

There's a blog, but it may not get that much interaction (aka verrrry few comments on the entries).
I know I tend to lurk forums, but rarely what's around them, so is there any chance to have the blog entries tied to the forum ?
That means that you write your entries in the blog, but they "lead" to the forum (you might as well create a new category for that): people that want to add a comment to the blog are directed to the corresponding forum post, and (more interesting, from my PoV) people that stay in the forum can see the new entries and react to them.

That might not be crystal-clear, but hopefully you see what I mean.

On a different note, Yarkista, please get rid of the dot at the end of "Suggestion and Discussion megathread."
You could even capitalize "megathread" to "MegaThread", for consistency.

Tynan

Quote from: British on September 21, 2013, 07:46:57 PM
I have one suggestion, but it's not for the game itself, rather the very site we are on...

There's a blog, but it may not get that much interaction (aka verrrry few comments on the entries).
I know I tend to lurk forums, but rarely what's around them, so is there any chance to have the blog entries tied to the forum ?
That means that you write your entries in the blog, but they "lead" to the forum (you might as well create a new category for that): people that want to add a comment to the blog are directed to the corresponding forum post, and (more interesting, from my PoV) people that stay in the forum can see the new entries and react to them.

That might not be crystal-clear, but hopefully you see what I mean.

On a different note, Yarkista, please get rid of the dot at the end of "Suggestion and Discussion megathread."

That's a good idea! You're right, the blog comments should just be forum threads. It would also help grow the community, I think. I need to look into how to set that up.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Yarkista

Good spot, changed the title.

Hypolite

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2013, 07:48:16 PM

That's a good idea! You're right, the blog comments should just be forum threads. It would also help grow the community, I think. I need to look into how to set that up.

There's a few ready-made solutions I know about that provide that kind of mechanism. Given my professional web developer background, I'm more used to custom solutions, but back in the days I remember PHP Nuke was providing portal/forum integration like the one British is mentioning. I guess it's worth a look.

ZebioLizard2

I want to see negative effects for everything.

Power lines not properly cared for or insulated? Major shock to walk across, touch, fire.

Walls not fixed? Entrances to be broken into, structural collapse, allows pests through holes.

Water not properly cleaned? Breeding ground for insects, sickness amongst the colonists, dysentery.

Weapons not cared for? Jamming, misfiring, potential explosion.

Too hot and covered in oils? Self Immolation.

Food stocks not properly cared for? Illness, Death, attracts things that enjoy rotting meat.

I know some things won't go into such vast detail, but I find such effects pretty fun to make sure one cares for everything within one's reach, and I think you get what I mean.

Same with the enemies, tunneling enemies, enemies that poke your defenses and just break things, those that seek to steal or kidnap specifically etc.

Yarkista

If everything had that kind of detail i think that there would be too much micromanagement for the player , it could make the game unnecceceraly complicated.

Tynan

Well, I really like detailed systems. I think they're often better, though, when most of the detail is ignorable. So if you're playing with an easy storyteller on your first game, you don't need to know everything. The details really become critical, though, when you're optimizing in a tougher game. This makes the game accessible to newbies while also being deep for people like us. It gives it a wide skill range.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

You can probably tie the micromanagement possibilities to (yet another ?) difficulty slider of sorts.
But then, how many different difficulty settings (counting AI) do you want to have ?

ZebioLizard2

Plenty! Options for all!

Though I like that sort of detail myself, It was mostly just a thought that things should still have maintenance and the like so that there's no "Mega City" syndrome. Hiding behind the walls with minimal tasks because there's nothing else to do but farm and the like aside from trading, not to mention the fact that running a bigger base is the same as running a  smaller base logistics wise, this way you have to actually care for the fortress design along with how it's being done or else problems will arise.

That doesn't mean you need to have a specific thing for everything, you could set a "maintenance" task for most of the things to be fixed. With a generic degradation bar for most things if you want to simplify it, with it causing problems related to that object as it grows more faulty. Maybe even requiring actual things to fix things back up, like tools and materials so that you are actually forced to make outward trips along with trading for supplies to keep your super base intact. 

Though I think I mostly like the idea because it's funny to see how long your place/fortress/colony can survive without you watching if you let them prioritize things by themselves.  ;D

xTAMERx

Quote from: Tynan on September 23, 2013, 02:19:52 AM
Well, I really like detailed systems. I think they're often better, though, when most of the detail is ignorable. So if you're playing with an easy storyteller on your first game, you don't need to know everything. The details really become critical, though, when you're optimizing in a tougher game. This makes the game accessible to newbies while also being deep for people like us. It gives it a wide skill range.

i think you should begin like in DF, all features from the beginning!
in the past everbody had to read the manual first, before beginning the game. other than it was impossible to play :)
you can make ingame video tutorial for read-lazy players for basic and advanced gameplay  8) hehe

Yarkista

Quote from: xTAMERx on September 23, 2013, 11:17:48 AM
Quote from: Tynan on September 23, 2013, 02:19:52 AM

i think you should begin like in DF, all features from the beginning!
in the past everbody had to read the manual first, before beginning the game. other than it was impossible to play :)
you can make ingame video tutorial for read-lazy players for basic and advanced gameplay  8) hehe

No, no, no. People will get fustrated if the game is too hard from the outset, it would only kill sales if this was implemented imo.

British

You guys are offering me a nice transition to something I wanted to query about since I watched the first-look video and got hooked:
What is the planned learning curve and handling complexity ?

Since RW is inspired by DF, I downloaded it this week-end, out of boredom.
Unfortunately I wasn't bored enough to be able to cope with the entry-level complexity, and there are still parts of my brain that are dripping from my ears, due to the induced melting.

So yes, please make RW accessible for the masses, and as said earlier, the more different difficulty levels you can add, the merrier...

xTAMERx

yep, a good learning curve with more and more features to discover is really better

but please at least with an option with full acces for experienced players :)

Jakadasnake

I want to grow herbs and spices to make sure my colonists are capable of hosting agreeable dinners. Oh, and a distillery. Something to wash the bark down.

Quote from: ZebioLizard2 on September 22, 2013, 10:10:03 PM
I want to see negative effects for everything.

Power lines not properly cared for or insulated? Major shock to walk across, touch, fire.

Walls not fixed? Entrances to be broken into, structural collapse, allows pests through holes.

Water not properly cleaned? Breeding ground for insects, sickness amongst the colonists, dysentery.

Weapons not cared for? Jamming, misfiring, potential explosion.

Too hot and covered in oils? Self Immolation.

Food stocks not properly cared for? Illness, Death, attracts things that enjoy rotting meat.

I know some things won't go into such vast detail, but I find such effects pretty fun to make sure one cares for everything within one's reach, and I think you get what I mean.

Same with the enemies, tunneling enemies, enemies that poke your defenses and just break things, those that seek to steal or kidnap specifically etc.

I think this guy is somewhat on the right track. A lot of stories hinge on the details. Like pinky fingers.