[MOD](Alpha 7) Realistic Weapons V2.0 + Fortifications Mod V2.0

Started by AY, August 28, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterLock

Quote from: SundayTuesday on October 30, 2014, 04:04:21 PM
The AI is not the mod authors fault. Regardless, It's all opinion. I think they're fine and don't want them to change.

The range should atleast be modified.It's ridicoulous when some machine guns have like 200 range and some snipers have even less,some maps are smaller then 200 range I mean...Unless you got obstacles in the way,that' the entire map covered in one single burst of 50 rounds,and If you play on the non mountain maps then...Happy Huntin'

I'm not a gun expert,I never held a gun in my hand,probably never will,but I find it hard to belive,some bulky heavy machine gun would be able to actually be used the way it is in this mod,incredible range+hit and run tactics.From what I've gathered,machine guns are heavy and they are ussualy supported by a Bipod for less recoil,would you imagine the kickback on that thing?If it actually fired 50 rounds continously without any kind of support?(Bipod,kneeling,etc).

Maybe some things are true,maybe machine guns are indeed this way in RL,but I find it hard you can employ hit and run tactics with such a heavy iron weight in your arms.

Also the sniper is infact useless,If a machine gun has 200+ range and 50 damage AND 50 rounds,why bother with a 80 damage single shot sniper rifle?It doesn't make much sense to me,all take the incap/death chance by creating multiple bullet wounds any day then taking the cripple limb/destroy by 1 single bullet of the sniper when the Raiders themselfvs incap your snipers with freaking machineguns...
To each his own.

AY

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on October 30, 2014, 05:10:57 AM
What's even worse are Centipedes. Weapon ranges between 30 and 40? How are they ever supposed to get that close? Unless they drop in right on top of you there is just no way they'll ever pose a threat.
Noted, this was set back when the turrets were not balanced, the centipedes will be a lot more deadly next update.

AY

Quote from: MisterLock on October 30, 2014, 08:23:42 AM
This is true unfortunately...It really just seems like this mod breaks some guns instead of balancing them...Having a 200 range machine gun that fires 50 rounds and does 60 damage?What's the point of snipers anymore?Some of the Project Armoury "balanced sniper" have less range then the freaking machine guns?I still haven't looked at all the guns,but what can I say is that this mod does make guns a bit OP...A bit to much...Not trying to sound mean or anything...But did You really try to balance the weapons?
1. Machineguns firing lots of rounds and doing lots of damage
    That is exactly how machineguns are, as a matter of fact, they do the exact same damage as other rifles that use that calibre. Just because it shoots out a lot of bullets does not make each individual bullet less deadly. ALL of the machineguns in this mod deal the same damage per bullet as it would fired from a battle rifle of the same calibre. (20 Max, except the the M2 Browning, which fires .50 cal bullets)

2. Machineguns having ridiculous range
    The ranges in this mod are not based on arbitrary numbers, they are set to 1/5 their real life effective range, except the longer ranges weapons have their ranges SHORTENED to lessen the range difference.
    The only machinegun that I recall having a 200+ range is again, the M2 Browning, and rightfully so with 1.8km effective range and 6.8km maximum range. In fact, there are many recorded instances of machineguns, especially the M2, being used as a sniper. If you don't believe me you can look up US Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock, who used a M2 in 1967 to set the record for the longest sniper kill (at 2.286km), a record that was not surpassed until 2002.

3. If machineguns have such a long range, what are snipers for?
    While it's true that a machinegun can fire almost and some cases longer than dedicated sniper rifles, the snipers excel and precision and high damage. Most of the machineguns in this mod fires a 7.62mm bullet, which have a damage of 20, but the machineguns can barely land a shot at normal engagement ranges (5% hit chance at 40+ ranges). This is where battle rifles and (Not so op in real life) sniper rifles come in, being able to shoot out bullets mean nothing when you can't actually hit the enemy. Sniper rifles have generally 80-100 damage, with the Barretts going up to 120, and the Tac-50 going up to 150 (that thing can shoot through APCs). Compared to the machinegun CTH of 5%, snipers generally have 65% at 40+ ranges. With the capability to land such a damaging round at that accuracy snipers anything but useless.

4. Am I even trying to "balance" the weapons?
    No, this mod does not aim to "balance" the weapons for gameplay. This is called Realistic Weapons because the weapons are made to behave as they would in real life. This is more of a niche mod that suits a special group of people (e.g Battlefield/CS:GO vs Red Orchestra/ARMA)

AY

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on October 30, 2014, 03:49:00 PM
It is OP. And I am well aware of a machine guns typical range, however the problem is that this isn't real life. The AI doesn't stick to cover or break line of sight like an actual intelligent being would. It just stands in the open and lets itself get killed. That makes MGs broken, realism or not.
While it is true that the combat AI is perhaps not the best one ever, it must be taken into consideration that the AI also comes in a much larger force, with disposable pawns. A death of a raider is nothing to the AI compared to the death of a colonist. If you want to play the mod as it is intended to be, and not abusing the system, (i.e M2 Browning wall of death), I would suggest that:
1. You arm your colonists the way a real life military would - Rifles and SMGs containing 90% of your force, and MGs/Snipers being used sparingly as a support weapon.
2. Don't build your base in a mountain
3. Don't build a wall around your open base.
4. Play on harder difficulties
I can say for sure that if your base is built using 2 and 3, and resembles a real town (i.e windows and streets), the raiders would be able to push you back from your sandbags and force you into CQC

AY

Quote from: MisterLock on October 30, 2014, 05:48:31 PM

The range should atleast be modified.It's ridicoulous when some machine guns have like 200 range and some snipers have even less,some maps are smaller then 200 range I mean...Unless you got obstacles in the way,that' the entire map covered in one single burst of 50 rounds,and If you play on the non mountain maps then...Happy Huntin'

I'm not a gun expert,I never held a gun in my hand,probably never will,but I find it hard to belive,some bulky heavy machine gun would be able to actually be used the way it is in this mod,incredible range+hit and run tactics.From what I've gathered,machine guns are heavy and they are ussualy supported by a Bipod for less recoil,would you imagine the kickback on that thing?If it actually fired 50 rounds continously without any kind of support?(Bipod,kneeling,etc).

Maybe some things are true,maybe machine guns are indeed this way in RL,but I find it hard you can employ hit and run tactics with such a heavy iron weight in your arms.

Also the sniper is infact useless,If a machine gun has 200+ range and 50 damage AND 50 rounds,why bother with a 80 damage single shot sniper rifle?It doesn't make much sense to me,all take the incap/death chance by creating multiple bullet wounds any day then taking the cripple limb/destroy by 1 single bullet of the sniper when the Raiders themselfvs incap your snipers with freaking machineguns...
1. Range of MGs vs Snipers - Addressed earlier
2. MG 50 shot bursts killing everything
    Considering that at 100% gun efficiency, only 2 or 3 out of the 50 rounds will actually hit what it's aiming at, not accounting for cover mitigation, it is not that OP.

3. Ranges longer than maps
    It is explicitly said on the front page that the recommended map size for this mod is BIG (and eventually ludicrous when it gets smoothed out). Experiences using smaller maps may (and will) vary.

4. MG hit and run tactics
    I have to say here that MOST of the "machineguns" in this mod (and extends to PA) are not TRUE machineguns. Weapons such as the M249, BAR, Bren gun, and even the MG34, are actually SAWs (Squad automatic weapons). These are designed explicitly FOR the purposes of being able to be carried by one man, and being able to relocate quickly. If you don't believe me here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sa8QFNEGI&list=PL8C37447F5C26EE55

The gun carried by the headcam wearer is the M249 SAW "Machinegun". In the beginning you can see him crossing the bridge, running and gunning, as well as the other M249 gunner in front of him.
As for the 50 round burst, skip to 4:39 of the video, where he fired a burst of 14 seconds standing up. I can tell you for sure that was AT LEAST 50 rounds.

True Heavy machineguns, like the M1919 (medium) machinegun, and the M60, and the M2 browning, are balanced differently than the SAW/LMGs.

5. No bipods, crouching, and proning.
    First off, weapons are planned to be able to affect the person equipping it, and they WILL be changed when that comes, as well as additions of other attachments. But at this current stage of the game, where even secondary weapons are not implemented, things will stay as they are

6. Why snipers when MGs?
    Well since you added additional points, I will respond to this topic again. It should be noted (once again) that machineguns can barely hit the broadside of a barn at the ranges of a sniper.
    Incap chances, unless playing on Randy Random, are completely dictated by the AI according to the amount of colonists you have, so that does not really factor in normally. In the case of you playing on Random, the trade off to the higher incap chance from more shots taken, is that taking more bullets = more likely to have your body parts blown apart. With the current medical system, the MGs do have a slightly higher chance to incap raiders, but they will require a lot more expensive surgery, than say hit by a single sniper bullet, and ofcourse that tradeoff is down to a player's play style.

7. Snipers being incapped by machineguns.
    I. You're not using your snipers properly, they do not belong in the front lines, put snipers behind your OWN MGs and Rifles
    II. If you have problems dealing with heavy machineguns (M1919, M60, MG42), get your own heavy Snipers, (Both variations of Barretts,      Tac50). They are very effective counters with longer ranges AND significantly higher accuracy and damage.

NoImageAvailable

Let me tell you about machine guns *takes a deep breath*

First off the difference between light and heavy machine guns (LMGs and HMGs): LMGs generally have a caliber of 7.62mm or thereabout and can be fired from the shoulder. These generally feature bipods and are used on a squad basis. HMGs on the other hand are 12.7mm or larger and can't be fired without a tripod (at least not without dislocating your shoulder). They are also really friggin heavy. An M2 alone weights 38kg, the tripod another 20kg so you need two guys just to carry the gun and a third guy to lug the ammo. Rimworld doesn't model that difference and your colonists can operate a minigun without any issue.

Now onto range. Basically MGs having range and power comparable to sniper rifles is accurate. Those things are mainly determined by barrel length and caliber and both are fairly similar for both weapon types. In fact one of the longest recorded sniper kills was made with a Browning M2 so it is realistic. The main difference between MGs and sniper rifles is rate of fire and accuracy. With sniper rifles you take your time to set up your shot so it has a very high chance of hitting, whereas MGs are fired in bursts. Large calibers mean heavy recoil especially on a 10 round burst or so and so accuracy is abysmal even with bi-/tripods. Now if you look at real life modern infantry combat you generally have dispersed targets behind cover and hitting a man-sized target at 400m is no small feat even if it doesn't conceal a large portion of itself behind cover/goes prone. In this environment you are much better off with the precise rifle if you want to kill an enemy because even the increased ROF won't make up for terrible accuracy. Now if you have more of a WWI/D-Day kinda scenario where you have massed infantry charging over open fields you are of course much better off with the MG because the targets are easy to hit and the ROF allows you to mow them down quickly.

The mod models this pretty accurately I think, with lone stragglers being best engaged by sniper rifles while massed tribal charges are quickly put down by MG fire. However issues come up in the AI which doesn't really know how to deal with that kind of situation and will stand in the open like nothing is happening. Now I'm not too familiar with the modding for this game but I think the AI is probably beyond the scope of this mod. What can and IMO should be changed is the burst size. Not only to balance things out a bit so one MG can't stop a tribal raid all by itself, but also to add to realism. In reality you don't fire 50 round bursts 24/7. Your barrel would overheat (and if you don't have earplugs those would probably be gone as well). You could reduce burst sizes to 20 or so and still be well within the realms of realism while balancing things out a bit. It would even keep with your own metric of burst=1/5 of the magazine since AFAIK most LMGs use 100 round belts. In some cases like the PK you have larger belt sizes available but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the smaller belt size for the sake of smoother gameplay. Might also consider removing the "preparing before attack" type raids seeing as they are broken.

Damn, here I am typing this wall of text only to get ninja'd by another. It even mentions Hathcock. As to your suggestions, here is a screen of one of my colonies. The specific incident that prompted me to post was some raiders preparing for attack about where those other raiders are. I set up one guy with a PK where Hull is standing and he took out the entire raid by himself. I also organize my guys into fireteams consisting of 2 ARs, 1 MG and 1 Shotgun/SMG with one team replacing the Shotgun/SMG with a sniper rifle. This is on Challenging difficulty on a 350x350 map. Now as an ArmA fan I wanna say I really appreciate someone making a mod like this focused primarily on realism however I would still like to be able to use a PK without feeling like I'm cheating.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

AY

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on October 30, 2014, 07:26:39 PM
The mod models this pretty accurately I think, with lone stragglers being best engaged by sniper rifles while massed tribal charges are quickly put down by MG fire. However issues come up in the AI which doesn't really know how to deal with that kind of situation and will stand in the open like nothing is happening. Now I'm not too familiar with the modding for this game but I think the AI is probably beyond the scope of this mod. What can and IMO should be changed is the burst size. Not only to balance things out a bit so one MG can't stop a tribal raid all by itself, but also to add to realism. In reality you don't fire 50 round bursts 24/7. Your barrel would overheat (and if you don't have earplugs those would probably be gone as well). You could reduce burst sizes to 20 or so and still be well within the realms of realism while balancing things out a bit. It would even keep with your own metric of burst=1/5 of the magazine since AFAIK most LMGs use 100 round belts. In some cases like the PK you have larger belt sizes available but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the smaller belt size for the sake of smoother gameplay. Might also consider removing the "preparing before attack" type raids seeing as they are broken.

Damn, here I am typing this wall of text only to get ninja'd by another. It even mentions Hathcock. As to your suggestions, here is a screen of one of my colonies. The specific incident that prompted me to post was some raiders preparing for attack about where those other raiders are. I set up one guy with a PK where Hull is standing and he took out the entire raid by himself. I also organize my guys into fireteams consisting of 2 ARs, 1 MG and 1 Shotgun/SMG with one team replacing the Shotgun/SMG with a sniper rifle. This is on Challenging difficulty on a 350x350 map. Now as an ArmA fan I wanna say I really appreciate someone making a mod like this focused primarily on realism however I would still like to be able to use a PK without feeling like I'm cheating.
More Suggestions: You must now give Hull the nickname "Rambo".  :P

As for the PK, I chose the 200 round belt as the standard due to it having also 100 round belts and 250 round belts. It would be unfair to give it its minimal capabilities when compared to other weapons.

I think I have an idea why the enemy raiders did not respond properly to your MG. Raiders are basically given a set "allowance" to spawn their weapons, with the lowest cost being the most common and higher costs being more rare (which is great at preventing overflooding of raider MGs). The drawback to this is that, because Project Armory adds such a wide variety of weapons, that many of the raiders spawn with cheap, prewar weapons that are simply inefficient (i.e the ridiculous amount of Sjorgen rifles) and does not prompt the AI to return fire due to them not being able to get in range without walking out of the area they are allowed in when preparing (which is useful for things like sniper harassment, and if I recall correctly they will attack if they spot your sniper due to bad placement). I would say:
Use the Kit Switcher provided in the main directory of the mod, and deactivate ALL of the other weapon eras that you do not need, so that the AI can pick weapons for the raiders more efficiently.

For example, using your case, I would recommend disabling: Prewar Weapons, WWI weapons, Medieval Weapons, Civil War Weapons, Flintlock Weapons, Prohibition weapons, and Sci-fi weapons, as well as Melee weapons in the last "Weapon" section.

Leaving only: Modern Weapons/Launchers, WWII weapons, and Vanilla weapons (which can also be disabled if you do not like the generic names, however it will severely weaken the mechanoids).
This should help the AI pick weapons that can fight off your harassment much more efficiently.

Aristocat

I haven't used this mod but reading through your code :

1. Browning doesn't slow down person nor it reduce work speed. Great, now you can work with browning on one hand and mining with bare hand, while running around without any penalty and even hit and run like as if it's pistol or bow.

I think weapons like this should been just mountable turret..

2. Heavy Charge Blaster damage is 20, Charge rifle damage is 20, LMG damage 20, but Blaster range is 30, charge Rifle is 75 while LMG is 240. Blaster is supposed to be most deadliest weapon in the rim world and seems man-kind can't even reproduce anything similar, but now it's weaker than even spear or bow, and obviously weaker than LMG or minigun..

3. Uzi and Pistol damage is 12, meaning 3 shot in the crotch or arm and LIMB LITERALLY SCATTER INTO PIECES.

4. Charge lance has 50 damage, throwing has 30 damage, two throwing spear is literally deadlier than Charge lance.

5. Shotgun can't hit more than one person.

6. Stabbed by Shiv in the crotch twice, again, LIMB LITERALLY SCATTER INTO PIECES.

it should been very low damage like 3-4, but hitting very quick so target die out of blood or pain.

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on October 30, 2014, 07:26:39 PM

Let me tell you about machine guns *takes a deep breath*

Now onto range. Basically MGs having range and power comparable to sniper rifles is accurate. Those things are mainly determined by barrel length and caliber and both are fairly similar for both weapon types. In fact one of the longest recorded sniper kills was made with a Browning M2 so it is realistic. The main difference between MGs and sniper rifles is rate of fire and accuracy. With sniper rifles you take your time to set up your shot so it has a very high chance of hitting, whereas MGs are fired in bursts. Large calibers mean heavy recoil especially on a 10 round burst or so and so accuracy is abysmal even with bi-/tripods. Now if you look at real life modern infantry combat you generally have dispersed targets behind cover and hitting a man-sized target at 400m is no small feat even if it doesn't conceal a large portion of itself behind cover/goes prone. In this environment you are much better off with the precise rifle if you want to kill an enemy because even the increased ROF won't make up for terrible accuracy. Now if you have more of a WWI/D-Day kinda scenario where you have massed infantry charging over open fields you are of course much better off with the MG because the targets are easy to hit and the ROF allows you to mow them down quickly.

Current realistic weaponry mod reduce sniper accuracy , and doesn't even use hit chance factor so it's even terrible, even minigun has higher accuracy if you consider fire rate.

Current game hit-or-miss calculator is just bad, if there's gun that has 100% chance hit, if it's dark accuracy decreased by 40%, become 60%. If there's two bush it become 42%(iirc embrasure reduce accuracy by 90%, which make sniper even useless, and only way to hit is make explosion or "shoot a lot".), if it's raining it become 16%, now if shooter accuracy is calculated it's basically 1%, meaning only way to reliably hit is shoot a lot(which make minigun accurater than sniper.), or make kill box with hydroponic basin(doesn't provide cover) and lamps.

Also accuracy doesn't really matter if <forcedMissRadius> is used, it will just hit near target ground regardless of accuracy. (which, AY forgot to type into code, while all other heavy weapons like minigun use.)

Also I think minigun wasn't supposed to be used by colonist. even description says "Mechanoid-built", meaning weapons like browning is supposed to only useable by tower or robot, for realistic-wise.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AY on October 30, 2014, 08:01:36 PM
As for the PK, I chose the 200 round belt as the standard due to it having also 100 round belts and 250 round belts. It would be unfair to give it its minimal capabilities when compared to other weapons.

Fair enough. I'll try the kit switcher and see how it changes things.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

AY

Quote from: Aristocat on October 31, 2014, 02:43:40 AM
I haven't used this mod but reading through your code :

1. Browning doesn't slow down person nor it reduce work speed. Great, now you can work with browning on one hand and mining with bare hand, while running around without any penalty and even hit and run like as if it's pistol or bow.

I think weapons like this should been just mountable turret..

2. Heavy Charge Blaster damage is 20, Charge rifle damage is 20, LMG damage 20, but Blaster range is 30, charge Rifle is 75 while LMG is 240. Blaster is supposed to be most deadliest weapon in the rim world and seems man-kind can't even reproduce anything similar, but now it's weaker than even spear or bow, and obviously weaker than LMG or minigun..

3. Uzi and Pistol damage is 12, meaning 3 shot in the crotch or arm and LIMB LITERALLY SCATTER INTO PIECES.

4. Charge lance has 50 damage, throwing has 30 damage, two throwing spear is literally deadlier than Charge lance.

5. Shotgun can't hit more than one person.

6. Stabbed by Shiv in the crotch twice, again, LIMB LITERALLY SCATTER INTO PIECES.

it should been very low damage like 3-4, but hitting very quick so target die out of blood or pain.

Current realistic weaponry mod reduce sniper accuracy , and doesn't even use hit chance factor so it's even terrible, even minigun has higher accuracy if you consider fire rate.

Current game hit-or-miss calculator is just bad, if there's gun that has 100% chance hit, if it's dark accuracy decreased by 40%, become 60%. If there's two bush it become 42%(iirc embrasure reduce accuracy by 90%, which make sniper even useless, and only way to hit is make explosion or "shoot a lot".), if it's raining it become 16%, now if shooter accuracy is calculated it's basically 1%, meaning only way to reliably hit is shoot a lot(which make minigun accurater than sniper.), or make kill box with hydroponic basin(doesn't provide cover) and lamps.

Also accuracy doesn't really matter if <forcedMissRadius> is used, it will just hit near target ground regardless of accuracy. (which, AY forgot to type into code, while all other heavy weapons like minigun use.)

Also I think minigun wasn't supposed to be used by colonist. even description says "Mechanoid-built", meaning weapons like browning is supposed to only useable by tower or robot, for realistic-wise.

1. Browning Rambo-mode
    Hopefully Tynan implements the ability for weapons to affect wearer's soon. For now, that's all I have to work with. Also, HMGs like the browning have high cooldown times, which means that after a pawn fires it, it does not simply "hit and run" as you say. It has to stick around in that place until it "packs up" the weapon. Also, if you know how machineguns are used in real life, and use them that way, you would not be "hitting and running" with them.

2.Blaster not the most deadly
    I'll get around to researching the Sci Fi weapons, eventually.
    EDIT: Ok, the description of Heavy Charge Blaster is simply: "Charged-shot blaster for area suppressive fire. Mechanoid-built." It is said to be a suppressive fire weapon, and I gave it 24 shots for that specific reason; to suppress an area. While it might be your own interpretation that it is the "most deadliest" weapon there is, that is all it is. Also, it is definitely NOT weaker than bow and arrows and spears, because those take forever to warmup, and have 1 single shot of equal damage, while the blaster has 24. A weapon's effectiveness is not only measured by its range.

3. Body parts get destroyed really easily
    I have a feeling that the medical system will be expanded later on, so I'm hesitant about changing the body part durabilities. Basically "Destroyed" limb just means it's requires surgery to properly heal/needs to be replaced completely because that's easier in the future.
    EDIT: Just did a test, while it's true that limbs will be "destroyed" after a few shots, but you forgot to take into consideration how OFTEN it occurs, 80-85% of the dead pawns simply died of gunshots and did not have anything destroyed. About 10% have their fingers and toes and noses shot off, and an occasional eye here and there; Most of the rest have an organ destroyed/a shattered bone(which is quite normal in a gunfight, your organs and bones aren't built to withstand that). Having any limbs shot off is VERY RARE, out of the 50+ dead raiders, only 1 had a hand shot off, and another had a leg shot off. To actually have a limb shot off AND survive is VERY VERY RARE, I doubt it will come up more than once or twice from 10+ full scale raids and break your immersion (because it is still possible to get a limb shot off an survive).
    So no, shivs are not going to shatter any limbs anytime soon.

4. Forced miss radius
    It is in the code of some very heavy weapons, albeit significantly reduced, considering the normal accuracy is quite low. For those that have the forcedmissradius, I have significantly reduced them. It is quite unnecessary for it to even be IN this mod, so no, I did not forget to put it in the code.

5. Sniper has terrible accuracy
    And rightfully so, snipers are still guns, they do not suddenly become deadly weapons that hit everything everywhere just by being a "sniper". This is why having a hit chance factor is simply unnecessary. A sniper having a scope making it much easier to aim and target vital spots is already modeled with its much higher accuracy and damage. To FULLY UTILIZE the effectiveness of a sniper, it should be given to a colonist with VERY HIGH SHOOTING SKILLS. At the right hands, Snipers are very useful to harrass raider camps and to take out important targets. They should not be directly compared to machineguns at efficiency because these do very different things, and excel at their own roles. MGs are great for taking a lot of grouped enemy very fast, while snipers are great for taking out lone targets at range.
    So yes, using your scenario, the chance of shooting at night while raining through 2 bushes should be and will be <1%

6. Takes a lot of bullets to kill anything because of low accuracy
    Because that is exactly how modern gun fights are fought, even for snipers, the one shot one kill stereotype is not remotely accurate when it comes to large group to group fighting. No, battles do not have to be contained in killboxes, if you actually use the combined arms aspect and properly utilize the flexibility of rifles, the suppressive ability of machineguns, the range and accuracy of snipers, and maneuver your troops to their flanks, a large open battle is VERY feasible, even more feasible than vanilla. Just ask anyone that actually uses this mod, and take a look at NoImageAvailiable's image of his base, which is the opposite of using a killbox. S/he has quite extensive knowledge on how real life battles work and can answer why things in this mod are the way they are.

SundayTuesday

"When your kingdom is attacked, Do not flee.
Show them WHY it is your kingdom!"

AY

Quote from: SundayTuesday on October 31, 2014, 06:16:04 PM
All dem quotes.
The fortifications mod is now up to Alpha 7  ;). Both the trenches and barbed wires are completed; However, since the Embrasures mod have not been completely updated some textures and features are still missing.

Viperlol

Based Ay. Its great to see this mod still going along well, i actually stopped playing Rimworld until this mod got updated.
When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

SundayTuesday

Quote from: AY on October 31, 2014, 07:28:57 PM
Quote from: SundayTuesday on October 31, 2014, 06:16:04 PM
All dem quotes.
The fortifications mod is now up to Alpha 7  ;). Both the trenches and barbed wires are completed; However, since the Embrasures mod have not been completely updated some textures and features are still missing.

AAAAA YES
"When your kingdom is attacked, Do not flee.
Show them WHY it is your kingdom!"

Aristocat

Quote from: AY on October 31, 2014, 08:19:01 AM
1. Browning Rambo-mode
    Hopefully Tynan implements the ability for weapons to affect wearer's soon. For now, that's all I have to work with. Also, HMGs like the browning have high cooldown times, which means that after a pawn fires it, it does not simply "hit and run" as you say. It has to stick around in that place until it "packs up" the weapon. Also, if you know how machineguns are used in real life, and use them that way, you would not be "hitting and running" with them.

2.Blaster not the most deadly
    I'll get around to researching the Sci Fi weapons, eventually.
    EDIT: Ok, the description of Heavy Charge Blaster is simply: "Charged-shot blaster for area suppressive fire. Mechanoid-built." It is said to be a suppressive fire weapon, and I gave it 24 shots for that specific reason; to suppress an area. While it might be your own interpretation that it is the "most deadliest" weapon there is, that is all it is. Also, it is definitely NOT weaker than bow and arrows and spears, because those take forever to warmup, and have 1 single shot of equal damage, while the blaster has 24. A weapon's effectiveness is not only measured by its range.

3. Body parts get destroyed really easily
    I have a feeling that the medical system will be expanded later on, so I'm hesitant about changing the body part durabilities. Basically "Destroyed" limb just means it's requires surgery to properly heal/needs to be replaced completely because that's easier in the future.
    EDIT: Just did a test, while it's true that limbs will be "destroyed" after a few shots, but you forgot to take into consideration how OFTEN it occurs, 80-85% of the dead pawns simply died of gunshots and did not have anything destroyed. About 10% have their fingers and toes and noses shot off, and an occasional eye here and there; Most of the rest have an organ destroyed/a shattered bone(which is quite normal in a gunfight, your organs and bones aren't built to withstand that). Having any limbs shot off is VERY RARE, out of the 50+ dead raiders, only 1 had a hand shot off, and another had a leg shot off. To actually have a limb shot off AND survive is VERY VERY RARE, I doubt it will come up more than once or twice from 10+ full scale raids and break your immersion (because it is still possible to get a limb shot off an survive).
    So no, shivs are not going to shatter any limbs anytime soon.

4. Forced miss radius
    It is in the code of some very heavy weapons, albeit significantly reduced, considering the normal accuracy is quite low. For those that have the forcedmissradius, I have significantly reduced them. It is quite unnecessary for it to even be IN this mod, so no, I did not forget to put it in the code.

5. Sniper has terrible accuracy
    And rightfully so, snipers are still guns, they do not suddenly become deadly weapons that hit everything everywhere just by being a "sniper". This is why having a hit chance factor is simply unnecessary. A sniper having a scope making it much easier to aim and target vital spots is already modeled with its much higher accuracy and damage. To FULLY UTILIZE the effectiveness of a sniper, it should be given to a colonist with VERY HIGH SHOOTING SKILLS. At the right hands, Snipers are very useful to harrass raider camps and to take out important targets. They should not be directly compared to machineguns at efficiency because these do very different things, and excel at their own roles. MGs are great for taking a lot of grouped enemy very fast, while snipers are great for taking out lone targets at range.
    So yes, using your scenario, the chance of shooting at night while raining through 2 bushes should be and will be <1%

6. Takes a lot of bullets to kill anything because of low accuracy
    Because that is exactly how modern gun fights are fought, even for snipers, the one shot one kill stereotype is not remotely accurate when it comes to large group to group fighting. No, battles do not have to be contained in killboxes, if you actually use the combined arms aspect and properly utilize the flexibility of rifles, the suppressive ability of machineguns, the range and accuracy of snipers, and maneuver your troops to their flanks, a large open battle is VERY feasible, even more feasible than vanilla. Just ask anyone that actually uses this mod, and take a look at NoImageAvailiable's image of his base, which is the opposite of using a killbox. S/he has quite extensive knowledge on how real life battles work and can answer why things in this mod are the way they are.

<equippedStatOffsets>
      <MoveSpeed>-1.5</MoveSpeed>
         <WorkSpeedGlobal>-0.8</WorkSpeedGlobal>
      </equippedStatOffsets>

It's already implemented a month ago or so(alpha 6 or 7).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

"The game takes place at a time about 3,500 years in our future. This is the year 5500 in our calendar."

"Charged-shot weapons (aka Tokamak weapons) - Charged shot weapons fire projectiles coated in a matrix of magnetically-contained charged particles. On impact, the energy in the particles is released in a very efficient explosion. These require high amounts of power to fire and are powered by hex-cells (at small scales) or fusion reactors in the case of large cannons."

"Heavy combat mechanoids that glide on dozens of tiny legs. Their heavy armor and firepower makes them very effective against bunched-up static defenders. They are somewhat vulnerable to mobile hit-and-run tactics."

"Transcendent worlds - Worlds inhabited by people who have become something beyond human and unknowable. No “people” live here; these planets aren’t planets any more in the traditional sense; they’re more like giant computers."