Make mortar duty automated same as other work tasks?

Started by sik, August 30, 2014, 02:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sik

I find sieges and mortars really annoying because they force me to micromanage my colonists. It would be great to have mortars as another column in "Overview", where can I simply check which colonists should man mortars, and they would do it automatically and change shifts.

Even if it would be the the stupid way as other work (so that nobody would man mortars at night because they are sleeping), it would still be better than the current status.

Or, at least it would be nice to have notification that colonist is urgently hungry or tired. I don't like pushing colonists to the limit, the "mental break soon" is too late for my comfort, I want to release them from mortar duty the same moment when they would go sleep/eat themselves.

wdyt? or is the purpose of siege to force me to micromanage?

LordBloodpool

I understand the problem of having to constantly manage my colonists while they use the mortars (Which, by the way, are horrendously inaccurate, even when being manned by colonists with a high shooting skill!  >:( ).

I'd like to see them become automated, like the turrets; though, obviously, they'd require power to run.

Maybe it would be possible to implement this via the research bench? Maybe having a particular research option available that (after the default mortars have been researched) allows you to build automated mortars that are faster firing and have greater accuracy than their manned counterparts, but require more metal to build, and need a constant power connection would be the best option.