Cryogenics and Losing your fort, and roleplay

Started by Franfrancehs, August 28, 2014, 01:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franfrancehs

Sometimes raiders WILL own you, or a wave of psychotic death monkeys will overrun you and even kill your turrets, or bypass (turrets, realistically enough, have blind spots, especially when you decide to build houses and not huddle inside a vault) so I propose an official an researchable feature. Cryogenics, with reinforced walls.

What it does:

1. I feel this game will eventually have a meta game set up (or why have a map that stores values, such as height and weather.) you will be able to eventually claim past settlements. ANd wouldn't it be nice that should more people from your ships pods land on other peoples colonies that they can not only find relics of builds that you built but also PEOPLE, MORE COLONISTS?

When youre colony is about to fail you send as many people as you can to cryosleep, to be discovered hopefully by rescue, but of course that wont happen. But basically you build a nice secluded area with a reinforced door or blast door or whatever that has your colonies hope. The lives of your people. This is when shit hits the fan bad, and you hit a panic button. Maybe even people get trapped inside a timed blast door but run out of pods. Basically its a fancy way of abandoning your fort while leaving something for the new forts you make. Err colonies, towns, not forts.

2. Now brings in extra stuff.
Instead of being gauaranteed these extra guys should you decide your next game uses that last site, youre only gauranteed what you put in. So if you built your pods inside houses animals probably bust down the door and ate the sleeping colonists in the pods, or maybe weather destroyed them. So depending on how you placed them, and the thickness of walls around, and distance from the outside or light tiles, depends on their safety. Just like in real life.

3. Extra content.

Events for unlocking the pods could include-

1. The chimeran - The pod was replaced with a copy and inside was a alien mutant that is now killing everyone.

2. The Frankenstein Monster - Like above but the past colony was experimenting with a super soldier serum for the sleeping colonists to wake up more robust and adapted, went horribly wrong (could tie into actually beneficial Cryogenic pod technology research thats option)

3. Spore Infection - You open the pod but a viral plague had infested the sleeper and is now unleashed on your colonists, only cure is fire. (Like the Blob or even airborne one)

4. Broken Pod - YOu find nothing inside. Perhaps someone escaped or was taken?

5. Alien Pod - This pod can be on the map and not related to anything you did last time you were there. And inside is an alien creature of strange origin.

6. AI Pod - You cant see anyone inside, and it looks like it is filled with circuitry thats.. moving. If you open it a Transformer robot with questionable loyalty springs to life and might help or hinder you. Or maybe he just comes into life and leaves the map and returns later as a new faction that is slowly destroying and consuming all other factions and is actually a BORG.

these are some ideas, so I hope you consider them it'd be awesome.

litlbear

yes

DaPieGuy

Quote from: litlbear on August 28, 2014, 03:14:47 PM
tynan said no aliens

Man made aliens maybe? Creating and using them as a labour force for mass hauling late game could be fun but with the slight risk that they might revolt or evolve. Sort of like the geth from Mass Effect, could be fun

MoparGamer

About the no aliens thing... Here's some lore:

QuoteThe biology of humanity

Ordo Historia records list thousands of reported contacts with alien life. However, in every case that has been thoroughly investigated, Ordo inquisitors have discovered that the ‘alien’ was, in fact, simply another branch of humanity.
Beyond the technological diversity of our species, there is also a broad biological diversity. Some populations have evolved under the selection pressures of pre-industrial life or on a world of great heat or cold, or high or low gravity, or even worlds bathed in the toxic residue of hyper-destructive wars. Though almost all such xenohumans (as they are called) are recognizably descended from the original Earth stock, their morphology is highly variable. Some are giants; other are tiny or squat. Some are dark; others pale as snow. Some are hairy like animals; others perfectly smooth. Diets, dispositions, and chemical and radiological tolerances vary significantly.
More alien are those xenohumans that carry genetic traits that were engineered instead of evolved. Across the long history and thousands of cultures of humanity, people have applied a dizzying array of modifications to themselves. Some were created to adapt people to a specific environment. Others were made to create better soldiers, pilots, or generals. Some were engineered to satisfy a bizarre fashion trend in a society where bioengineering is available to anyone with money. Such modifications are rarely seen in their original form by anyone besides the culture that created them. However, they live on in their descendants long after their originators were swallowed by regressive planetary catastrophes.
For example, Ordo sources tell of an entire world repopulated by the descendants of a small group of bio-engineered soldiers; the only survivors of a planetary nuclear war. Everyone on this world carried an obsessive sense of duty, minimal sexual impulses, and little sense of creativity. This culture became dominated by a conservative pan-planetary religion with little interest in technology. It lasted eleven centuries in this state until it was invaded by a stellar neighbor (who wisely avoided ground combat in favor of orbital bombardment).
The Ordo Historia has recorded and gene-sampled thousands of differently-engineered and adapted xenohumans. Among other notable traits in this genetic library, one may find.
Aquatic-adapted strains who can withstand breathing very high gas pressures and even survive days of immersion by exchanging oxygen through the skin (no true permanently-aquatic fish people have ever been confirmed).
Soldier variants carrying any of a large number of traits that various militaries have seen fit to bestow upon their people. Typically, they have large muscles and perfect eyesight. Some have minimized metabolisms made to digest a single kind of long-lasting nutrient solution, to make army logistics easier. Their lifespans are short - usually between ten and thirty years - and they grow up very fast. But the most significant differences are psychological. Engineered grunt soldiers are obedient, sense pain only in a distant way, obsessed with learning about weapons and war, and carry a strong need to be part of something larger than themselves. They are deliberately lacking in abstract intelligence and creativity. Engineered commanders are highly analytical, fascinated with military history, utterly cold under pressure, and masters at spatial visualization.
Radiological immunity is a very common adaptation; the Ordo estimates that most of humanity is more tolerant of radiation than our Terran progenitors.
Some worlds engineer “perfect mates” for the rich and powerful. Such specimens are created with bodies to match the fashions of their home worlds and the tastes of their owners. They tend to be obsessively submissive and devoted, totally without jealousy or self-regard, artistically inclined and endlessly cheerful. Such traits do not last long in an unrestricted evolutionary environment because they are so easy to exploit, but engineered mates are sometimes kept in longsleep long after their creation, to be traded into a post-catastrophe market that can no longer create them. The main contact most of us will ever have with such specimens is through their descendants, who, while they have most of the traits of the original in only a very diluted form, still occasionally express Mendelian traits like impossible eye shades or streaks of multicolored hair.
Fashion-driven genetic modifications are often applied during later life instead of prenatally, and are most often cosmetic and skin-deep. Variations in hair and skin color are common. More exotic modification add shining crests, color-changing skin and eyes, reshaped or elongated bodies, and colored nails, feathers, or fur.
Gravity variations create new body structures. People from low-g adapted populations are lighter, taller, and weaker than those from weightier environments. The most extreme examples are the gravity dwarfs, 3-foot-tall xenohumans from worlds of over 2g of gravity. Their short and stocky shape lets them live and work in comfortably in such oppressive g-pulls. They even have a noted preference for short and underground dwellings. It’s unresolved whether this preference is cultural or genetic in origin.

Source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fUO3KKbAbTxMP1lqphnnodY0NPoOVblCUkDw-54MDUc/pub

Could replace aliens with some mutated human variants

Sepkan

It actually says Ordo inquisitors? Wow the 40k is strong in this one! I love it!

SSS

How is this connected to roleplay? o.o;

Anyway, I'd rather avoid rpg-ish stuff and stick to colony simulation. The stats counter is enough, imo.

BetaSpectre

I'd prefer to think that the future is uber progressive in calling everyone "Hugh men"

Cryo pods exist, I only wish for these to be hide able in mountains again.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Cyclops

Quote from: Sepkan on August 28, 2014, 10:21:08 PM
It actually says Ordo inquisitors? Wow the 40k is strong in this one! I love it!
"Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic."

I feel like 40k would Exterminatus this Universe.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Cyclops on August 29, 2014, 04:30:13 AM

But...there are no Aliens (Tynan has stated only humans exist in this universe), Mutants (Never seen anything even vaguely resembling a mutaant in game), or Heretics (Religion hasn't been implemented yet so you can't exactly be heretical) in RimWorld? Lol.

They WOULD however definitely have something to say about the Mechanoids and their forbidden A.I. technology that doesn't involve lobotomizing a person and sticking them in the machine.

As a whole I think the denizens of the 40k universe would approve of RimWorld because after all: "In the grim darkness of the future...there is only war." and we've got plenty of that!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Cyclops

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 30, 2014, 08:17:58 AM

But...there are no Aliens (Tynan has stated only humans exist in this universe), Mutants (Never seen anything even vaguely resembling a mutaant in game), or Heretics (Religion hasn't been implemented yet so you can't exactly be heretical) in RimWorld? Lol.

They WOULD however definitely have something to say about the Mechanoids and their forbidden A.I. technology that doesn't involve lobotomizing a person and sticking them in the machine.

As a whole I think the denizens of the 40k universe would approve of RimWorld because after all: "In the grim darkness of the future...there is only war." and we've got plenty of that!

Compared to 40k, Rimworld is actually pretty... NobleBright. You can't find any Glitterworlds in the Technologically regressive Universe that is 40k.

The Imperium and its throne vegetable takes the Grim-darkness award anyday.

Also, to be fair, we're not sure how much war there is in the Rimworld Universe. Glassed planets caused by Nuclear war and raiding in the outer-rim worlds can't be compared to the sheer amount of war in 40k.

Also, with the quote "Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic." I was talking about the lore described by @MoparGamer  as opposed to the current Rimworld. Anything mutated beyond Psykers is HERESY and will be *BLAM*ed with extreme prejudice.

On the other hand, we don't know all that much about Rimworld lore so it is too early to reach a verdict on anything.

MoparGamer

I was basically saying with the lore, that there is room for expansion into what feels like a more alien environment.

We're not there yet but it is possible.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Cyclops on August 30, 2014, 08:50:56 AM
Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 30, 2014, 08:17:58 AM

Compared to 40k, Rimworld is actually pretty... NobleBright. You can't find any Glitterworlds in the Technologically regressive Universe that is 40k.

The Imperium and its throne vegetable takes the Grim-darkness award anyday.

Also, to be fair, we're not sure how much war there is in the Rimworld Universe. Glassed planets caused by Nuclear war and raiding in the outer-rim worlds can't be compared to the sheer amount of war in 40k.

Also, with the quote "Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic." I was talking about the lore described by @MoparGamer  as opposed to the current Rimworld. Anything mutated beyond Psykers is HERESY and will be *BLAM*ed with extreme prejudice.

On the other hand, we don't know all that much about Rimworld lore so it is too early to reach a verdict on anything.

Oh it's on now! NERD WAR!

Lol. Just kidding, always glad to meet another 40k fan.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

SSS

On another note, does anyone think of the Chozo when they think of Glitterworld civilizations, or is it just me? They aren't human, but that's the sort of social dynamic and technology level I might expect from Glitterworlds.

I think the Chozo may be transcendent (by Rim World standards) in the actual Metroid games, though. I'm referring to their earlier years revealed through lore, like on Tallon IV before the... er, story-starting-event-that's-a-spoiler.

Franfrancehs