Reinforcing cave walls into "walls"

Started by Mansen, November 05, 2013, 04:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mansen

Due to how power is run through regular walls, it is currently a very bothersome task to carve out rooms inside the mountain rock. You have to clear room for the walls as well and then rebuilt them, just to get power running.

I suggest we receive the ability to place walls directly on rock tiles, to reinforce them (Or demolish/rebuild alternative), to make cave spelunking a wee bit less frustrating.

Sky_walker

You know you can build power lines, right?
There is no need to build walls in caves.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

Mansen

Having to put them in the floor is really messy if maintenance is required - And it also looks needlessly stupid. Being able to put cables in rock walls would also work.

Sky_walker

It looks MUCH cleaner than building walls in caves.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

Mansen

Clearly we disagree on that.  :D

Edit: Here - I'll even show the difference. Clearly the cables should go through the walls, regardless of type (Although I still think that Rock > Wall conversion should be possible as a "less clicks needed" feature)

Basic base
Mix of rock walls and concrete ones (It wasn't exactly square at the corners). As you can see most of it is unpowered, since the power doesn't reach from the generator and to most of the utilities.

Powered Floors "solution"
Here I have done as Sky_Walker prefers. Routing the power along the floor. This doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to myself, and is bound to cause issues if I place something large on top of a cable.

Edit: Ignore the missing wall and concrete wall at the top.

Powered Walls (Incomplete)
And finally a model where the cavern walls have been hacked down and replaced by concrete ones to allow for power distribution. Now ideally all of the walls will be converted as resources permit to make for an aesthetically pleasing base. (Not that colonists seem to care much about their wall coverage at present)

So to re-iterate :

- Let the concrete wall tool be capable of placing orders directly onto cave walls to streamline construction and planning.

- Let power cables become placeable in cavern walls within reach of a colonist.