Construction stockpiles

Started by RemingtonRyder, August 29, 2014, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

So, it bugs me that colonists going out to construct things will grab the nearest resources to them - even if that's quite a ways in the wrong direction - and then head over to build something.  Even if there are resources close to the build site.

Basically I'd like the ability to tick 'For Construction' in a stockpile's config and from then on, colonists will prioritise using up those resources for building near to that stockpile, especially if they're close to the place where they're going to be building.  And haulers, as usual, will haul to those stockpiles but not take from them until the 'For Construction' check is removed.

Does this sound reasonable?

stefanstr

I would like to see that, too!

Darth Fool

I think it would be resolved if the AI simply calculated the total distance traveled, picking up AND carryng to the construction site, rather than just the distance to the resource.

RemingtonRyder

That's true,  It might also be handy if the AI would consider how much room is in a nearby 'result' stockpile and what the total path distance is when deciding to use a production structure - like for example, a cook stove - when there's more than one of those structures on the map.

Basically, let's say that you have two bases on the map with a fair distance between them.  If you have a bill to cook X meals on each of them then everything is fine so long as there is storage available.  But if you have a bill to cook until you have X on each oven, then you can end up with a lot of meals at Base 1 and just one or none at Base 2.  Yes, even if you have two cooks.