The Art of Base Defense: Share Your Strategies!

Started by grocervalue, March 17, 2024, 10:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grocervalue

I've been pondering the various ways we protect our colonies from the never-ending threats of raiders, mechanoids, and the occasional mad muffalo. It got me thinking, we all have our unique approaches to base defense, and I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from each other.

So, I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we can share our strategies, layouts, and even some epic tales of defense. Here's what I propose:

•  Post screenshots of your base's defense setup.

•  Describe your strategy: Do you rely on killboxes, cleverly placed traps, or a strong melee frontline?

•  Share your stories: Ever had a defense go hilariously wrong or triumph against all odds?

•  Give tips: What have you learned that could help others?

To start us off, here's my current setup:
•  I've got a winding killbox with a few auto-turrets and a fallback position for my snipers.

•  I learned the hard way that wooden traps are a fire hazard (RIP half my colony).

•  Pro tip: Always have a secondary defense for when sappers decide to avoid your main entrance.

Looking forward to seeing your bases and hearing your stories!

JomOrtz

This could be common knowledge now but I tend to use ancient shrines to defend my colony. I use it only against raiders because you won't know whether you'll get mechanoids or insects.

It's a one-time thing per shrine in your map, and they have to be in a great position. When there's a large raid, and those raiders will happen to pass by the ancient shrine, I'll have someone open it up. I'll let them fight and then I'll just clean up whoever wins and take all the spoils.