A raider tactic

Started by Cassey, November 08, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

I'm having some luck defending open air regions by doing the following:

1)  Clear most, but not all, of the debris - you want an area where they will come and take shelter.  Maybe sandbags for them.
2)  Put the shelter well within range of your turrets and your crews weapons
3)  Plant blasting charges around the left shelter... like 2 or 3.
4)  Optional - build roads to the shelter - seems to help draw them.

The raiders will tend to congregate around the shelter maximizing the impact of the blasting charges.  Of course, if you use sandbags for them, those are destroyed and your crew and turrets can clean up any survivors.

Still optimizing this strategy, but thought I'd share.

RebCom1807

Honestly, by not giving them any cover within range, I have found a way to completely break the sniper squads. They can't find cover (or if they do, it's just plants), so they end up walking around a bit in the open getting shot at (Granted, by my guys who also have sniper rifles..). I've actually had times where the most dangerous raiders to my group had pistols. As in, those with pistols have a better chance of taking my guys out than the ones with sniper rifles.

That, and a (sort of) waffle for my troops. Basically just an open square surrounded by sandbags. Works well enough for an early defense. Plus, it is more or less unflankable (cover on all sides) and it allows for easyish re-positioning when someone with grenades comes along to spoil the fun.