Reproduction and Colonist population growth

Started by ComradeCrimson, August 30, 2014, 02:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComradeCrimson

I would like to see a few things added into this game.

Colonists breeding and having their own children/offspring, and then growing up to be colonists, and other methods of producing new colonists.

Cloning is one of them. Being able to produce clones (albeit, in a costly fashion with short lifespans) would be amazing. I'd also love to see a variety of traits affecting sex and reproduction and how it plays out, as we already have hints and fetish traits in game (like bestiality.) and so forth.

For natural reproduction? A bed and two fiesty male and female colonists who take well to each other is all you need. (and if their partners die, or children, they'll suffer mental breaks of severe unhappiness.)

For cloning? A cloning research laboratory and vats where you clone people, and the thing requires a LOT of power and resources to setup, as well as other materials and requirements that are to be thought of later as I haven't thought it all out yet.

Clones also have a chance to spawn with defects too, and the operation of the cloning vats ties in with RESEARCH skills, so all those researchers and scientists who already researched your important techs? Well they have a job now friends. Glory to our scientific proletariat!

As for sex itself, it could also be a good addition for the stress relief. Obviously the details don't need to be too explicit, leave it to our dirty minds for imagination. Non-reproductive yielding sex may also occur, such as between homosexual couples or one time occurrences.

Would be interesting to see ingame. And for those of us who are more conservative to this sort of thing, just have is so their room becomes all steamy and foggy so you can't see whats going on, plus that'd be hilarious.
My Voice Acting library/samples:
https://soundcloud.com/comradecrimson
I am a voice actor for various mods like Rise of the Reds for Generals Zero Hour. Contact me via email if you need my services.

skivvy96

Maybe you could have research into cloning as well reducing the amount of defects there are, cloning the original persons skills and increasing their lifespan.

Clayton

Child birth isn't really logical for this game; odds are you aren't going to have a colony for 16 years.

MoparGamer

Clones in star wars have reduced lifespans so that they can mature and be useful, perhaps something like that for them?

ehh713

I think that this game will face a choice at some point along the line... is it more about a short-term stay and battling raiders or setting up a long-term colony? I prefer the long-term colony approach, but either way I think reproduction should be involved since it would be more realistic and gritty.

ComradeCrimson

The game is in Alpha, so we don't know how long colonies are going to last. And you may very well have a colony last an incredibly long time- especially with certain mods if you installed them.
My Voice Acting library/samples:
https://soundcloud.com/comradecrimson
I am a voice actor for various mods like Rise of the Reds for Generals Zero Hour. Contact me via email if you need my services.

johny17202

I would also like to see this as a method to make a more permanent colony, not that it would be permanent as in forever, but  I think it would just add the games overall goal. I think that the primary "got off the planet" goal is a bit lacking. I also wanted to throw in that https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tynansylvester/rimworld , mentions in one of its roadmap idea that relationships would be possible "Friendships, romances, and rivalries" so if there are romances you would figure that reproduction might be considered.

Xerberus86

Quote from: ehh713 on August 31, 2014, 12:39:11 AM
I think that this game will face a choice at some point along the line... is it more about a short-term stay and battling raiders or setting up a long-term colony? I prefer the long-term colony approach, but either way I think reproduction should be involved since it would be more realistic and gritty.

currently duo to no real progression in the vanilla game it plays more like a short-term simulation but i think with a bit of tweaking and things like reproduction, healthcare, maybe training facilities and stuff it could become a long-term simulation (if the player wants it to be).

i am still new to this game yet playing with the TTM mod which adds lot of content but better yet, it implements progression which the game currently lacks. having reproduction and more natural ways for you colony to grow would underline the progression and give the player more ways to play the game. so either they can turtle in, reproduce themself and try to stay a passive colony or they can take the aggressive route and capture / convie enemies to join the colony.

one thing i would also love to see added is loyalty, currently we have unhappy colonists go rampage but loyalty towards the colony and maybe towards certain individuals would give a) more inner struggle to deal with, which adds more depth to the game and b) would make capturing & letting prisoners join the colony pose a certain risk because they could betray you. thinks that could affect loyalty would be happyness, the character (just some char traits which could make some checks against his fellow colonists) of the other colonists and the wealth of the colony. but adding a wildcard (low %-value for a converted prisoner to deceiding to betray the colony) would be nice.

if you have colony growth adding some crimes like fighting or even murder (if one colonist doesn't like another) would be great.

LordJulian

Oh I certainly like the idea of individuals getting onto a relationship in the colony, but that would mean a whole new level of an interest system where different colonists have interests that would differ from one another. Having the same interests would mean a higher chance of a relationship. This relationship would somehow increase the mood of the colonist pernamently so the player definitely has incentives to make sure they get comfy. Injury or lack of contact of the fellow lover would incur temporarily losses, while death would mean that colonist is in a state of grief with a long penalty to mood. Would love to see this possible.

But I don't think reproduction would be possible. I'm not sure if colonists die of old age, but I don't think people would play that long to see a newborn grow from young to old....it's not the sims though.