Shrapnel for shotgun

Started by Voiddweller, August 30, 2014, 07:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voiddweller

When i tried to emulate a shotgun shrapnel with a burst, i noticed that even with zero ticks set between shots it still have one tick between projectiles. So it is still a burst, a short one though. My goal is to emulate real shotgun shrapnel behavior, with many small projectiles fired at once, damaging several body parts with one "shot", and due to low individual damage ineffective against armor. I am not sure if armor damage resistance is actually have a threshold against damage, because if it just lowers damage percentage, armor will be useless to protect from shotgun shots.
Please consider adding this simple and quite realistic mechanics.     

HatesYourFace

To be fair real shotguns aren't always loaded with actual "shot", but often with a "slug" which is more akin to a normal bullet and offers superior accuracy/range against larger targets like a human. Shot is typically used more for hunting small game or birds really. It's entirely likely that the shotguns in RimWorld fire slugs as they are intended for self defense against raiders, not rabbit hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Voiddweller on August 30, 2014, 07:51:14 PM
When i tried to emulate a shotgun shrapnel with a burst, i noticed that even with zero ticks set between shots it still have one tick between projectiles. So it is still a burst, a short one though. My goal is to emulate real shotgun shrapnel behavior, with many small projectiles fired at once, damaging several body parts with one "shot", and due to low individual damage ineffective against armor. I am not sure if armor damage resistance is actually have a threshold against damage, because if it just lowers damage percentage, armor will be useless to protect from shotgun shots.
Please consider adding this simple and quite realistic mechanics.   

I did the exact same thing not long ago

If you're interested in how it works/playing with it, you can check out my mod here.

Also, there's no sort of damage threshold for RimWorld armor yet, but it would be really nice to have in the future, so +1 to that!

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 30, 2014, 08:38:31 PM
To be fair real shotguns aren't always loaded with actual "shot", but often with a "slug" which is more akin to a normal bullet and offers superior accuracy/range against larger targets like a human. Shot is typically used more for hunting small game or birds really. It's entirely likely that the shotguns in RimWorld fire slugs as they are intended for self defense against raiders, not rabbit hunting.

Actually, if you take a look at the shotgun's bullet sprite:

It's kinda clearly 16 individual pellets (though it's one giant sprite), which some quick Googling suggests that it's similar in pellet quantity to #1 Buckshot
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Voiddweller

Thanks :3 Also, shotguns with an individual pellet projectiles helps those with poor shooting skill to actually hit something, so it's not just about raw damage potential.

Somz

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 30, 2014, 08:38:31 PM

I for one am aware of the 1 ounce slug shells, pretty brutal, but deershots/00buckshot (containing 9 pellets if I'm not mistaken) can be used rather efficiently too.
There are ones containing about 60-80 (or so) pellets for birds and ones with about 25 pellets for whatever, the stopping power of those isn't that great, yeah, and I guess those are mostly used for bird-hunting.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

HatesYourFace

It would be nice to have 2 or even 3 shotgun options in game, an older looking wooden piece that fires a large spread with lots of projectiles, a more modern pump action that fires a medium spread a little more accurately, and finally a cylinder fed model that fires solid slugs.

The model that's in game atm is clearly an older wooden stocked job so I suppose having an actual shrapnel spread effect would fit, but I'd like to see the other styles represented as well.

Speaking of that I hope we eventually have at least 2-3 options for each gun type just to add variety. (And no, I'm not using a Mod...fixing my own game every patch isn't my idea of fun. Also, my favorite flavor is Vanilla)
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Voiddweller

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 31, 2014, 07:58:36 AM
It would be nice to have 2 or even 3 shotgun options in game, an older looking wooden piece that fires a large spread with lots of projectiles, a more modern pump action that fires a medium spread a little more accurately, and finally a cylinder fed model that fires solid slugs.

The model that's in game atm is clearly an older wooden stocked job so I suppose having an actual shrapnel spread effect would fit, but I'd like to see the other styles represented as well.

Speaking of that I hope we eventually have at least 2-3 options for each gun type just to add variety. (And no, I'm not using a Mod...fixing my own game every patch isn't my idea of fun. Also, my favorite flavor is Vanilla)
Thanks to this little mod above, you can have every type of shotgun you want. Made myself a sawnoff, that fires 2 shots at once, each with several pellets and modified vanilla pump-action for that custom projectile type. And you can always play with spread values, projectile graphics, sounds and stuff. BTW that stuff is good for hunting :D

BetaSpectre

Gun fire modes would be a nice addition to the game.

Scattershot should be able to take down Tribals like a knife through butter. But if you want to dent a Pirate's Power Armor you'll need rifles/Buckshot
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Voiddweller on August 31, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 31, 2014, 07:58:36 AM

Thanks to this little mod above, you can have every type of shotgun you want. Made myself a sawnoff, that fires 2 shots at once, each with several pellets and modified vanilla pump-action for that custom projectile type. And you can always play with spread values, projectile graphics, sounds and stuff. BTW that stuff is good for hunting :D

Did you not read the part where I said no mods? Lol.