It always opens as a notepad document?

Started by Fruit loops, August 30, 2014, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

it doesn't open a file or even a zipped file it opens a notepad doc
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

MoparGamer

What always opens as a notepad document? More information is needed...

Fruit loops

it opens a notepad document the thing that you can change saves with and stuff
it also looks like a different language, maybe the scripts?

daft73

I'd like to try and help, but I'm at a loss. Are you opening up files to mod them? I'm pretty sure there will be answers to your question, but...(more infos will be needed)

MoparGamer

What is "it"? a save file, a save file editor..?

Does the language look like:
<thing> words </thing>

If so, that's XML.

Fruit loops

Here: when I download a mod off of nexus or moddb or any for that matter it takes like less then 1 second to download and then all it downloads is a notepad document that freezes my computer for like 5 seconds then the notepad doc shows a bunch of weird random foreign letters

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Fruit loops on August 31, 2014, 03:54:46 PM
Here: when I download a mod off of nexus or moddb or any for that matter it takes like less then 1 second to download and then all it downloads is a notepad document that freezes my computer for like 5 seconds then the notepad doc shows a bunch of weird random foreign letters

Sounds like you accidentally set notepad as your default application to open zip files. Try right-clicking and choose "open with" and browse to winzip/winrar/7zip whatever you use.

Does the text look like this? I don't mean EXACTLY the same as but similar to, because it won't be exactly the same unless it's the same file obviously.
http://imgur.com/67glJUF

as far as only taking a second or two to download, Tech tree minami is probably the largest mod I have on my computer at the moment and it's only ~8.5mb which is only a couple seconds for me to download so that's nothing surprising. I could write a huge chunk of code for a custom DLL and not break 1MB, adding in new textures is what really pushes up the file size.

daft73

Neurotoxin may have the answer you need, well hopefully. Generally when I mod the games I just drag the RAR pack into my mods folder, then Right-click the package, select Extract here. Finito. ;)
Here is my current mod folder...