Theory about MECHANOIDS...its a bit interesting and scary...

Started by Zeta Omega, August 31, 2014, 02:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechanoids....Can they be reasond with?

Yes
No
Unsure

Zeta Omega

Now.....I THOUGHT I knew everything about mechanoids and I knew how to take care of them right....I found something truly disturbing. When I was watching videos and going over the wiki I noticed that centipedes are incapable of communication...scythers  on the other hand...Have HUMAN FEATURES AND CAN COMMUNICATE.....Doesn't that make anyone else think JUST A TINY BIT?

Bodog999

Not me if Centepides cant communicate I find that very usefull, if they could they cant call backup Scythers on the other hand are human-like with some features but they have hearing and speaking sensores

Cyclops

According to lore,  Mechnoids are "autonomous intelligent robots built for domestic, industrial or military purposes. Only available to advanced cultures because such complex AI is needed to control them."

So, one would need to somehow interface with the AI controlling them as opposed to the individual mechanoids themselves. Unless said mechanoids are specifically built for human interaction, I suppose.

Goo Poni

Judging by their size, durability and the scope of the weapons they use, I'm gonna guess that Centipedes are meant to be tanks in all but shape while the Scythers are more akin to infantry. That said, both mechanoids moan and groan when downed, so the Centipedes do have some amount of voice modulation.

Maybe Centipedes are like Hunters/Mgalekgolo from the Halo games in that their communication is largely unneeded but otherwise possible. Hunters make guttural taunting laughs when they manage to kill you and the few times they are friendly during the original trilogy when playing as the Arbiter, they do make guttural grunts in response to you looking at them when close to them.

What do you guys think the mechanoids look like, in terms of artwork? The skirt on the Scythers along with their reclining posture implies to me that they are tracked gun platforms, and a great hulking 10-12ft (at least, judging by their ingame size) tall Centipede with the back mounted gun makes for an awesome image in my head.

EDIT:
Something else that came to mind is perhaps the ability to disable the AI of crashed ship parts with colonists that have high crafting, allowing dissassembly of the part for metal, recovery of the core and not waking the numerous mechanoids that are likely to be aboard. One could even go as far as to contemplate turning some of the mechanoids on after turning them friendly. They are robots after all, going all Fallout 3/NV on them and redefining their concepts of an enemy should be possible. That all depends on Ty's lore reasoning for them. If the lore says it's kay, then it's simply up to Ty to make it so, or expose the code necessary for modders to make it so.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Another thought. Drag back wounded Scythers or Centipedes to a workshop and fix them up to make them friendly. They are practically whimpering in pain when crippled, render them some aid and perhaps they would appreciate the repairs.

TRIPLE EDIT:

RAIDERS WITH SALVAGED MECHANOIDS. OH GOD THE HORRORS OF 50 MAN RAIDS WITH MECHANOIDS.

Zeta Omega

Quote from: Goo Poni on August 31, 2014, 07:32:22 AM
Judging by their size, durability and the scope of the weapons they use, I'm gonna guess that Centipedes are meant to be tanks in all but shape while the Scythers are more akin to infantry. That said, both mechanoids moan and groan when downed, so the Centipedes do have some amount of voice modulation.

Maybe Centipedes are like Hunters/Mgalekgolo from the Halo games in that their communication is largely unneeded but otherwise possible. Hunters make guttural taunting laughs when they manage to kill you and the few times they are friendly during the original trilogy when playing as the Arbiter, they do make guttural grunts in response to you looking at them when close to them.

What do you guys think the mechanoids look like, in terms of artwork? The skirt on the Scythers along with their reclining posture implies to me that they are tracked gun platforms, and a great hulking 10-12ft (at least, judging by their ingame size) tall Centipede with the back mounted gun makes for an awesome image in my head.

EDIT:
Something else that came to mind is perhaps the ability to disable the AI of crashed ship parts with colonists that have high crafting, allowing dissassembly of the part for metal, recovery of the core and not waking the numerous mechanoids that are likely to be aboard. One could even go as far as to contemplate turning some of the mechanoids on after turning them friendly. They are robots after all, going all Fallout 3/NV on them and redefining their concepts of an enemy should be possible. That all depends on Ty's lore reasoning for them. If the lore says it's kay, then it's simply up to Ty to make it so, or expose the code necessary for modders to make it so.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Another thought. Drag back wounded Scythers or Centipedes to a workshop and fix them up to make them friendly. They are practically whimpering in pain when crippled, render them some aid and perhaps they would appreciate the repairs.

TRIPLE EDIT:

RAIDERS WITH SALVAGED MECHANOIDS. OH GOD THE HORRORS OF 50 MAN RAIDS WITH MECHANOIDS.
You may have found the next update my freind

Tynan

I voted "unsure" :D

I actually would need to think about and write a lot more backstory on the mechanoids for this to be answerable.

Really, "mechanoid" is just a class of thing, like "animal" or "android", so you'd really have to come up with a specific backstory for these mechanoids.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Goo Poni

While I am certainly in no position to be telling you how to write the lore to your own game, the mechanoids we have now appear to just be drones. Vicious drones, but drones nonetheless. If a ship part lands, they defend it and I have had events where mechanoids are marauding under the orders of an off-map AI. If these controllers can be removed or communication cut, then that may make it possible to reprogram the mechanoids. As I said in my earlier post, this is probably much easier when they are not trying to pump coilgun slugs into you.

To me, reprogramming them is not outside the realm of possibility but you still have final say. You could just nope it all away and say that tampering causes explosive results.

milon

It would be pretty awesome if you could "rescue" incap mechs and try to reprogram them. If you succeed, you get a perma-drafted robot. If you fail, you get scrap metal... or an explosion.  But I think you should only be able to try with an incap mech. It should probably use the research skill.

Zeta Omega

:o
Quote from: Tynan on August 31, 2014, 02:37:35 PM

I actually would need to think about and write a lot more backstory on the mechanoids for this to be answerable.

Really, "mechanoid" is just a class of thing, like "animal" or "android", so you'd really have to come up with a specific backstory for these mechanoids.
:o Um....thank you for your input.......People consider you like the rimworld god right.......nice update videos btw

BetaSpectre

Tynan is cool, Best Dev I've met in a long time.

On this topic it'd be interesting if mech's were like robobrains from fallout.
Though reasoned with is meh~ Not sure if they should be.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Drahkon

Maybe Recover an AI core and rebuild it into a 'drone control center' which a researcher can use as a station to attempt to convert downed mechanoids into defense drones.

Fernbhoy

Quote from: Zeta Omega on August 31, 2014, 05:36:01 PM
:o

:o Um....thank you for your input.......People consider you like the rimworld god right.......nice update videos btw

He created Rimworld, he works 6 days a week and on the 7th day he looked, and he saw that it was good.

And then went right back to work :D

Zeta Omega

Thanks for everyone supporting this little thread, love to hear your opinion and ideas and opinions.

Quasarrgames

personally, i think mechanoids need a little more development before any decisions can be made on this issue. For one i think we need some type of "controller" or "queen" mechanoid, or more development with their apparent psychic abilities.

P.S. I voted unsure
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Bodog999

Mechanoids are very advanced, so they probably have technology of the Glitterworlds (The most advanced "humans" know in the Rimworld universe) but Glitterworlds are very peacefull. So could traitors be in the Glitterworlds? Or were they raided so other people made them to raid even more? Who will know?