scenario? reenactment? campaign?

Started by patoka, May 24, 2024, 11:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patoka

long time no see
i was wondering if there is a community of rimworld player outside of casuals/sea ice masochists/big time modders/mosaic drawers/etc who like "reenactment" type of things, or maybe let's call it "scenario"/"campaign" lovers from other single player games. if there are, i wanted ask how and where i could join.

if there isnt yet:
an idea came to my mind where you'd still play a regular rimworld game but as close to a specific thing that happened in history as possible. my idea was tromelin island (formerly sand island, see here YT or google) where a bunch of people got stranded. the captain was supposed to transport meat and other things from mauritius (formerly isle of france) to madagascar, but he also participated in the then already forbidden slave trade, so he intended on making a detour to smuggle some for big bucks. so anyway, they got stranded and the entire island is completely barren and the best they can do is to save some resources from the ship and to hunt for animals and fish. the captain immediately lost his mind and was replaced. eventually they rebuilt a new ship and the crew took off without taking the slaves with them. many years later some people came back for them, but the mission failed and it took even longer for them to finally go home.

so:

i was imagining a scenario where you'd start on a single tile island with permanent growth climate, but it's a desert, maybe even extreme desert and you'd have 1 royal (praetor or above, i'd say), another 30 normal colonists (maybe with slightly focused backgrounds), 15 tribal slaves and 185 corpses strewn about the broken ship bc for rimworld we just assume three quarters more of them died so the game balance isnt all over the place. you'd have to forbid all kinds of animals from appearing there except certain birds, turtles and fish (fishing in rimworld when?), also no trees but maybe the odd cactus to simulate corals and bone as a building material. most likely a normal start techwise but with very limited tech, maybe electricity isnt even allowed at all. there should be a certain amount of pollution to simulate the fact that the survivors have used lead for cooking with. oh and there should obviously be some ship chunks strewn about on the shore for an easy source of steel, some wooden structures in the water to simulate a broken ship with doors, drapes to simulate sails, some of the few items mentionned in the documentaries.

and that's about it, everything else should be purely cosmetic like ancient barrels, containers, crates, toilet, sink and equipment block. the rest would be premade quests like building a new ship (could be simulated with a mission where you build a monument that roughly looks like a ship and requires a ton of wood and some steel), driftwood arriving, maybe another monument to be built that looks like a well where you could use smooth flooring to replace other types of flooring that you cant afford for the lack of resources to simulate the time it took to build, then another mission for a smaller raft-like monument and eventually you just need to reach a certain time limit to finally be saved, but you could entirely add another mission where you have to build a light tower and flag or sth.

personally, the more factual details we could add, the better. like the captain being a highly skilled pawn but with the traits volatile, depressive and very neurotic for constant mental breaks making it obvious that you need a new leader asap.

the first ship being built and used to sail off would obviously immediately remove both nobles and all normal colonists from the map including all fire weapons, turning all your slaves into normal colonists and i have no clue on how to code sth like that. the raft being built would further "save" (or not) more colonists of yours. maybe there'll just be a regular rimworld spaceship which has to be filled with all your colonists (even a possibly knocked out captain) and part of the missions would be to erect some kind of big tent where you could send all your slaves and once done, all pawns disappear and new colonists spawn that just so happen to be the same as the slaves sent to the tent.

not finishing missions asap would result in mood drones or sth similar, maybe even an outbreak of some disease bc of too many people with too many corpses and too many dead animals on that tiny island. the game would most likely play with tons of action in the beginning and then you could really speed up the game once the slaves are alone. i'd imagine the whole thing not taking longer than a couple rimworld years, 15 would be super excessive. 3, maybe 5, so starvation can be a factor? raids on this map wouldnt make much sense to me. you cant freeze food or grow much at all, so you'd constantly have to hunt anyway, major threats would mostly be quite comical if you ask me. maybe environmental stuff make sense like volcanic winter, toxic fallout and stuff like ambrosia sprouts, but not aurora. wanderers, wild people, travelers, visitors, royale tribute collectors, traders, beavers, solar flares, zzzzt, man in black, ancient danger, rare thrumbos and transport pod crashes also dont make sense. maybe gauranlen pod sprouts and meteorites?

you win by having survivors at the end of it all. (duh)

lotsa love, patoka
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?