Generals, I need your advice!

Started by Geroj, August 31, 2014, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

About the mortar clustering.. Mortars seem to be very sturdy. They need multiple hits to blow up, before that happens, my teams have repaired them. Aiming is not the specialty of raiders anyway.

The turret clumping I can safely ignore. Anyone wanting to take a shot at them has to come around the corner and is mowed down by four turrets at once. If there are more enemies incoming than I got turrets, I can just setup snipers at the wooden house corners nearby to improve that effect. They won't get shot at. Ever. So anything left standing after the turrets fire will be taken down before they reload.
Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)

Shinzy

I'd just like to say that the EMP mortars are able to disable enemy mortars
so the best way to defend against siege right now is with barrage of emp
one proper hit and the entire siege is disable for very long time (cause they like to clump their mortars so close together)

christhekiller

I've found Fire mortars to be a very effective counter-sieging tactic. By mid-to-late game I like to get a small cluster of 3 or 4 of each type of the mortars (I usually focus on regular and fire to start with)

The fire mortar has the benefit of not needing to be terrible accurate, and since colonists rarely, if ever, hit the target they were aiming for it can be very good in foresty biomes. If the fires spread to their mortars or food they'll wittle down the health and destroy it, and with no food and/ or mortars they're basically no threat as they start to starve and die/ wander off, or even better, go crazy. Also, fighting fires distracts the siegers from building, so more pros! I'll also use the regular mortars in an attempt to pick off snipers from afar. And while they almost never hit their target, they do get in the area, and they're able to hurt or pick off some. Then I just go pick off survivors with snipers or hold against them when they abandon the siege and assault.

Of course, fire mortars are useless when it rains and if they're in non-flammable terrain. So there's that, and counter sieging with mortars tends to take a long time, and they can end up doing a good chunk of damage if you're unprepared.

Also, they do end up going to sleep eventually. It takes awhile but they'll all end up passing out and you can launch an ambush then.

SubZeroBricks

Some tips I use that work :)

Make sure to deconstruct old siege equipment as new sieges use it as cover.

Make 'sniper nests' but be careful that attackers don't use it as cover!

Make sure to tell your man to target the strongest enemies.

i.e. target a minigun+power armor dude over a pistol+shirt guy
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."