Oh deer

Started by MarshyJay, November 03, 2014, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarshyJay

Well this was my first colony, a lovely forest with a host of wildlife. after a brutal battle with a band of angry robots it left my researcher dead and my constructor armless. But then from no where an old bit of a space ship lands very close to my colony so i leave it till i get mortars, but after 20 mins it transmitted a psychic drone which was annoying so i continue then i hear the distinct noise of a door being kicked in. so i look what is it a heard of deer deciding to go ape and attack me. so i line up and try to kill them but one by one my colonists become unable to walk then slowly starve to death..... I hate animals.

CharlieC

Those crashed parts are full of nasty surprises but best dealt with as quickly as possible - the psychic waves will get worse unless it is destroyed - it's that that drove the deer mad  ;)

Chibiabos

I just ENTIRELY LOST A GAME due to this exact thing, except in my case it was worse than deer:  it was SQUIRRELS!

Why squirrels worse than deer?  Because they outnumber deer.  I had no fewer than ten squirrels attacking each of my four doors into my colony complex, they quickly overwhelmed each of my colonists (didn't help I have had a rotten luck of colonists ... out of fifteen colonists, five were violent-incapable and two others were Brawlers) and my turrets could not kill them fast enough to save my colonists.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Cimanyd

Quote from: Chibiabos on November 09, 2014, 03:16:19 AM
I just ENTIRELY LOST A GAME due to this exact thing, except in my case it was worse than deer:  it was SQUIRRELS!

Why squirrels worse than deer?  Because they outnumber deer.  I had no fewer than ten squirrels attacking each of my four doors into my colony complex, they quickly overwhelmed each of my colonists (didn't help I have had a rotten luck of colonists ... out of fifteen colonists, five were violent-incapable and two others were Brawlers) and my turrets could not kill them fast enough to save my colonists.

Wouldn't brawlers be better in that situation? Or are you saying you wanted more than two? (If animals overwhelm your defenses, you're going to be melee fighting, not shooting them.)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

ToXeye

Quote from: Chibiabos on November 09, 2014, 03:16:19 AMWhy squirrels worse than deer?  Because they outnumber deer.

I had about 20 deer bashing in my door once.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

jimoc

This post and Blitzkriegsler's Let's Play series has made me so annoyed that I have to wait until payday to buy this game!!!!

Wex

I've never understood this problem, because I always hunt a lot of animals, usually I am short on meat for that. I had 3 iguanas attaching me at one point. Nothing unmanageable.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

ToXeye

If you spawn in a forest of any kind, there will be a lot of animals. Say there's three packs of about seven deer each, then there's 21 deer bashing in your door. What I find is funny is that crazy animals will become attacked by other animals, so when they come close to other animals they take damage. So a pack of crazy animals will somewhat attack each other, aswell..
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Thorin

One of my colonies got wrecked by deers. Squirells are nasty too. You know what is boring, rampaging turtles (it takes ages)
In my latest colony (with animal husbandry) my domesticated animals went rampaging. Well,.. there goes the future meat stock straight into the kitchen (and since the doors open up for them, yeah fun times indeed).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"