Attacks ramp up too quickly

Started by Rorax, September 03, 2014, 06:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorax

Even on casual I find that the attacks ramp almost exponentially in both number of attackers and difficulty. Even in casual you can go from your first attack being a single tribal, second 2 pirates, 3rd a Syther, 4th a pirate mortar siege.

I just feel like the attacks should be a linear increase rather than what feels like an exponential curve. Heck even 2 pirates to a Syther is pretty brutal when it happens early enough.

And yes I have heard the suggestions "don't build defenses the director uses them as a cue" "don't stockpile your silver the director uses it as a cue" "don't stockpile too much general wealth the director uses them as a cue" Sure the director is a very cool concept and I love it but both time spent and number of colonists should heavily effect more than it currently apparently does, how much can be sent against you.

Xerberus86

it really depends on the difficulty setting AND the storyteller, you might wante try the basebuilding one.

i mostly play on cassandra clasic and "rough" (100%), i also use the techtree minami mod which makes it even more harder (but adds so much content and needed progression). so i don't think that the game is too hard.

Edit: i meant "challenging", NOT "rough" (newb).

milon

Yeah, start at the easier difficulties and work your way up from there. While the game isn't overly complex, there is a lot of learning that happens as you go.  For example, I used to put my production tables in the prison and called it a work room. It was a good idea - small area to clean, lots of happy colonist conversations, etc, but any food dropped couldn't be picked up again (auto-reserved for the prisoners).

Xerberus86

i always played on challenge because 100% of the toughness if for me the normal / medium difficulty setting. i also play with the techtree minami mod which i really like, but right now i have my first game with randy random and most of the time now nothing is happening......is randy smoking or weed or what? x'D ...STOP CHILLING.

does he (randy) still consider your colony wealth? and how is that calculated? only via the silver amount of what?

EDIT: fyi, sorry for hijacking the thread for my question :P.

ShadowTani

There's the problem currently that mountain and cave bases will be a lot easier because they require much less walls, floors and defense positions compared to a base on a flat map that needs more walls and defenses. As I result I too personally feel that the raids ramp up way too quickly on a flat map, however, at mountain/cave bases they ramp up much more smoothly, giving you a chance at burning off wealth and thus keeping raid sizes low. So even if the problem can be solved by fixing the difficulty accordingly to what base type you plan to pursue it still sticks out as having a rather uneven balance in my opinion.

BetaSpectre

Satellite imaging.

They see from above like you do.

Chances are they hacked into the Satellite you're using to manage your colonists.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Rorax

Yeah sure. there is always the fact that I can just "learn to play" better but that doesn't solve the issue that the ramping of attacks even with Cassandra is rather exponential. Is it subjectively erroneous of me to think that I shouldn't be punished for using my first 3 TOO effectively by acquiring a lot of wealth? mining effectively, producing effectively, retrieving pods effectively all with the first 3 colonists and BAM theres a Syther against your remmington and two pistols.

This is why I feel like TIME should be WAY more important to the AI (probably not Randy :P)

I feel like punishing the player for effectively micro managing your colonists is counter intuitive, it is also counter intuitive to intentionally stump your progress to prevent early huge raids.

One of the games prevailing meta techniques should not be to dezone stockpiles so that your wealth isn't counted. One of the games prevailing meta techniques should not be to NOT set up defenses. It is silly.

bobucles

Raid size can be controlled by removing stockpiles? That has to be an oversight.
QuoteIs it subjectively erroneous of me to think that I shouldn't be punished for using my first 3 TOO effectively by acquiring a lot of wealth?
In this case, yes it is. If you're getting killed it's because you didn't get enough gunz. Focus on defenses and a city wall and a kill box before getting rich.

cartmancakes

Quote from: Encode on September 03, 2014, 09:54:35 PM

2. they managed to run off with at least a survivor to inform their clan of our position and prepare for next raid. preparations takes time, so more raiders would take more time to prepare, where next raid would be previous raid's #dead raiders +1.5xsurviving raiders

I love this idea!  Gives incentive to not allow escapees!